Paint mix service - Halfords

My local store doesn't have "off the shelf" tins of my car colour (FL1) so am considering them mixing it up for me. Has anyone used there service before? Good/bad?

Cheers.

Mine is FL1 aswell. I have had paint mixed before at halfords bit its a bit hit and miss if they get it right lol

I've had paint mixed from them recently (DR5) - it looks a bit dark so I'm a bit worried! I'll post again once I've held it against my car! :laugh:

hmm ive had a few paint mixes from halfords and not one of them has been right, dont know if its just my luck but none where bang on the same colour

i used to be the paint mix guy at halfords and the paint mixing system uses electronic scales that are acurate to within 0.01g. the eye cannot detect a colour change from 0.5g, so the only way these colours are incorrect is if the retard that mixed it for you hasnt got a clue what they are doing.

the mixing system is designed by Holts for a company called bodycare who carry colours for all cars from 1943>present day, all tractors, all motorbikes and most types of alloy wheel.

if in doubt, ask if you can watch as they do it and keep an eye on the scales.

i got a few tints of KLO (starburstsilver) and they where wrong...the first 2 tins i got looked like the metallic was gunmetal and the 3rd tin i brought looked like primer grey with hardy any mettalic init :S

they must have used the wrong mix of metalic flake, there is f000, g729, m728 and another one cant remember which right now...

the third one must just not have been mixed properly before they put the paint in the mixing cup..

either way its opperator error... muppets

I can back Antony up on this as i do paint mixing at my work aswell. I work for a motor spares store called Wilco Motor Spares (some may have heard of it?) Its basically Halfords but alot friendlier staff and cheaper prices :p

By the sounds of it,we use exactly the same process of paint mixing as Halfords (funnily enough the same paint). Either being 0.01g more or less of a colour will throw it out completely. The person mixing the paint needs to get each colour of the formular exactly spot on to have it 100% correct.

Obviously fresh paint against paint thats had 10 years of fade WILL look different. What alot of customers do is put the paint on the scuff/scratch and come back saying its wrong. We then have to explain that the body panel needs to be rubbed down,primed,painted and THEN lacquered before the colour match is done.

Also...beware that the 'pre-made cans' lids are only an indication and not the true colour!

Sorry for the essay!

I can back Antony up on this as i do paint mixing at my work aswell. I work for a motor spares store called Wilco Motor Spares (some may have heard of it?) Its basically Halfords but alot friendlier staff and cheaper prices :p

hold on im halfords staf i think im friendley enough :p and some of there prices are no bad lol :p

Well the staff in Norwich are useless! We get endless customers coming in saying the staff at Halfords arent helpful.

When ever i go in,theres NO ONE about,apart from the till person,who doesnt know anything about anything anyway. Wasnt having a dig at you,just from past experience the majority of Halfrauds staff arent friendly enough.

halfords sucks lol. i just buy paint from my local motorfactors (PG automotive) there awsome. altough they dont sell JTO apple green :( they sell every other car but mine lol

lol im not acctually botherd as they do have a reputation for being crap lol
i think the staff in my branch (paisley) are pretty well mannerd and clued up
also squarepants im sure halfords can mix that up :p

look. enough of the halfords bashing.

think of it this way. halfords employees are usualy between the ages of 17-25. this age range of people are usualy inpolite, rude, moody and clueless. so its YOUTH and society thats the problem.

training does happen, i used to be a trainer at halfords. after 6 years of working there i know everything about everything they sell, where it comes from, who made it, what it does and how... just because you have had a bad experience doesntyu mean they are all bad.

halfords hasnt been around for 104 years and become the largest car accessories place in the uk for nothing. it holds 75% of the cycling market and 80% of the accessories market.

and the reason there is no staff is because they cant afford to pay for them. they arent making enough money to afford to pay for any more than 5 members of staff for the whole building. remember they are open 7 days a week 364 days of the year (only closing on xmas day) from 9AM-8PM and they have to pay for staff. some days we only used to sell a set of bulbs. other days we would sell $8000 in sat nav. it cannot be predicted so they have to cover their bases. 5 staff is plenty. but when you come accross lunch breaks, illnesses, absences, holidays etc etc etc.....theres not alot you can do about it.

halfords has made their stores almost self service anyway, if you cant find what you are looking for chances are they dont sell it.

and all they have to do is call bodycare and they will fax over the correct paint code. if they cant mix it in store they can orer it from bodycare via a 4 day postal service. yes they can mix any colour you have seen before..

they list all motorcycle colours, all car colours, all bike colours (push bikes) all agricultural and military colours plus other custom shades too.

the one thing they cant do very well is match a colour from a swatch.

Hello, grumpy sod here.

I used to mix paints at Halfords and did it very well thank you :p

Yes they can do matt colours, I did a whole car (2cv) in Renault "Vert Armee" once.

The mix tins are much better than the pre-mix ones as you get a nice fan of paint rather than the splodge of the pre-mix ones. If you think on ask for the laquer from the same range as the paint mix as it's got the better spray fan and last time I was buying paint it was about half the price of the normal halfrauds stuff.

then the person who mixed it wasnt trained or they were just completely retarded

ha ha ha ha :laugh:
im not properly trained but its not exactly difficult to mix so they must have been retarded :p just kidding thats a horrible thing for me to say

my red paint, tuned out to be a brownish colour when dry...that was mixed at halfords (that was a good few years ago now, though was mixed on scales), since then ive always gone to nissan for car colour spray cans, not that i need them very often. :)

I always seem to get a better spray from nissan cans vs halfords.

You can take your car to your local trade bodyshop material suppliers where they can match your cars paint with their colour variant slides,(Take you're petrol flap with you.)some manufacturers colours have a few variants to choose from.Even this is not 100% all the time,often you will need to "flick" the basecoat into neighbouring panels to make the match.
Doing small repairs & blow-ins on metallic paints is especially hard & it's easy to mess up if you've not got the experience,tools & correct materials.
Anyway,if you're going to have a go,the paint suppliers can give you basecoat with laquer finish of your choice (satin/matt/gloss) or solid colour in aerosols.I once did a side of an Astra estate,it looked good but the paint will be very thin.
When I do use aerosol paint I put the cans in hot water before use,it increases pressure in the can as well as thinning the paint so it flows better & will not clog so easily..

Back