No full beam on drivers side.

As the title says. Full beam on the drivers side is not working. When full beam is switched on, the light appears to be even dimmer (and a bit yellower if possible) than dipped beam. Dipped lights work fine on both sides.

I have searched through the forum, and tried some of the things suggested.

I have tried:
  • Changing bulbs.
  • Checking & cleaning the connectors in the plug for the bulb (were corroded, but no different when clean). Not melted or burnt.
  • Fuses: The fuse for the light is free from corrosion and not blown.

Another symptom, which I am guessing is related is that the full beam light is always on (albeit a bit dimmer), even when the lights are dipped.

I don't think it will be a problem with the stalk, as it is switching the lights.

Don't think it will be a fuse problem, as surely the light would not work at all?

Any ideas on where I can go from here? I'm scratching my head a bit. I was hoping that either changing the bulb, or cleaning the corrosion would fix it.

Sometimes the wires for the headlamps corrode a little further back. an easy test would be to test it with a multimeter to see if anything is actually going through there.

Thanks. I've bought a whole new plug, so i'll splice that in when it arrives and try that rather than going through the hassle of dismantling it again to clean it.

Cleaned up the earth connections to the body today. That didn't make any difference.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the lights? Would like to be able to trace the problem further if the new plug doesn't work - and i'd like to find out why the main beam light stays on when dipped.

it may be a dim-dip unit problem (if your has dim-dip ?) moddedmicra (username joe southgate currently) did a guide on here for removing the dim-dip system iirc

I saw that when I was searching through for other people with similar problems.

I can't see anything in either fuse box that references a dim-dip unit, or anything that matches that description under the steering wheel. The dipped lights don't come on at all when the side lights are on either, so i'm pretty sure I haven't got one. :(

Thanks for looking though. Open to other ideas :grinning:

Right. I think i'm getting 'somewhere' with this.

Looking at some other threads lead me to think that the plug that has been spliced on to my loom might have been wired incorrectly.

I examined the working plug, but it wasn't very helpful as the only common wire is a black one. The loom wires on the other side are different colors. Throwing caution to the wind, I swapped around the two wires that did differ. This lead the the dashboard light working correctly (off on dim, on on full), but reversed my other problem - ie dipped beam very dim & yellow, full beam working perfectly. Doh!

Could someone tell me how the wires should be wired into the plug?

I have a black wire, red with green trace (earth?) and red with blue trace. If I am looking at the plug head-on (so I can see where the bulb goes in) where should these wires go? Only thing that I know for sure is that black goes at the top.

Still not sure why it is dim - hopefully the new plug, completely corrosion free will fix that.

One last bump.

Would really appreciate it if someone could tell me which wires go where.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

nissan kept changing the colours jam, its basically just 2 lives and 1 earth, cant you copy the other side or use a meter ? :)

Has this problem just started or has it been like it since you have had the car? Sounds like a bad earth or like others have said corrosion in the wires, You really need to buzz these wires through to see what your readings are. But a new plug is a good starting point. You can check which wire does what with a test meter and this is probably the best idea.

I had this after driving 7 hrs at night it melted both connectors and my fuse box so lost full beam for a week but i simply solderd in new connects from a jag! And used the old connector to know what goes where

Thanks folks.

New plug on, no real difference that I can see. The dash light works at the right time now (other plug must have been wired wrong, possibly on purpose), but one headlight still dimmer than the other on dip.

I'll check the voltage coming through the wires tomorrow.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

i think you have an earth where a live should be, and vice versa. we had this on a car recently and it did exactly the same. i'm fairly sure this is the problem mate but like i say if you use a multimeter all will become clear.

Fixed.

Almost every wire was in the wrong place. Surprised that they worked at all.

Negative points to Nissan for making every wire a different color to the passenger side. Would have made it a lot easier if they had been the same.

Thanks for the help folks.

Fixed.

Almost every wire was in the wrong place. Surprised that they worked at all.

Negative points to Nissan for making every wire a different color to the passenger side. Would have made it a lot easier if they had been the same.

Thanks for the help folks.
Good stuff. perhaps a previous owner did the mess up?

Dunno. Looked like it had been like that for a while. Passed the MOT like that too.

Anyhow, I know who I will be taking it to for the MOT :p

Back