Passenger side Main Beam doesn't come on?

L

landspeed

Hi! I've just joined, and have done a search to see if this question has been answered before - doesn't seem to have been.

I have two K11 Micras, one is off the road. The one that is on the road is coming up for MOT soon. However, it has a problem that the passenger side headlight won't go onto main beam. All the other settings work (e.g. normal beam, side lights etc). The headlight bulb itself is fine.

I can move the lights control stalk so that the passenger side main beam does come on, but only when the normal light is on at the same time (appears to be a 'grounding problem', but due to the dim-dip unit - see below). I have taken the control stalk apart, and there is nothing wrong there. If I short the connector to switch on the main beam (inside the control stalk), the drivers side main beam will go on, but no life from the passenger side main beam.

I've looked at a wiring diagram, and see that the drivers side headlight is directly wired to the control stalk, while the passenger side headlight is wired through a 'dim-dip unit' (why they chose to do this I don't know). My Haynes manual doesn't tell me where the dim-dip unit is, though.

On my old M reg K11, the dim dip unit is a fairly big box, near the interior fusebox, under the dashboard. However, on my newer K11 R - reg (pre-facelift, but has mostly 'facelift' parts, such as the adjustable headlights), I can't find the dim-dip unit to be there. So, my questions would be:

(1) Any other suggestions for the above symptoms other than dim-dip unit?
(2) Where is the dim-dip unit on the facelift K11 Micra??!?!?! :) This is the main question I wanted to ask!

P.S. One of my friends Micras did actually have the same fault and the unit was replaced by Nissan, which fixed it. Sorry about the length of this post!

have u checked the headlight connector on the headlight as ive had a few micras with the connector burnt out dont know if this will help but see how u get on

mines is the exact same bud. mines is a fuse that keeps melting for some reason, i just need 2 replace the fuse every so often.

:alien:

Check the black connector behind the bulb. I'll bet my car on it being melted.
Go to nissan, buy a now one (about £7) and then check the fuses in front of the battery and i'm 100% that this will solve your problem.

swap the bulb with a known good one like the other side maybe,

check the fuse holder and fuse in the fuse box next to the battery and the connector on the back of the bulb at the same time

if not check all the wires arent broken, if still no luck look for the dim dip unit (maybe it doesnt have it on facelift cars?)

one of my headlight connectors (Drivers Side) was melted and eventually rotted and wouldnt work. Ive had to strip all the wires and use spade connectors lol. Now ive gotta take all 3 spades off to take the bulb out. :)

Andy_S said:
one of my headlight connectors (Drivers Side) was melted and eventually rotted and wouldnt work. Ive had to strip all the wires and use spade connectors lol. Now ive gotta take all 3 spades off to take the bulb out. :)

Dont be cheap and dangerous and use spades, go to nissan and get the proper connector block, they are less than a tenner! and much more safer in my opinion!

£7 for a bit of plastic! :eek: lol.

Im a sparky so it should be alright. I used Insulation tape around each of the spades too and put the rubber surround back on :)

This is a common problem, I repaired mine for exactly the same reason about 2 weeks ago, only difference was it was drivers side.

hi all i have the same problem. i think it could be the 'dim-dip unit' i have found it under the steering wheel dash. Do i remove this box and open it up or do i get a new one or used? and how much are they?
any help would be great
Paul

Please can some one help as i soon want to sell the car and really need the money.
Paul

Hi everyone! I have the same problem that you had, but i can´t find the DIM DIP UNIT. I read all the posts and i still can´t find it! My NISSAN MICRA is from 1993 and is a Portuguese registration, maybe is in a different location! Any ideas? Thanks, L. Massapina.

Back