Help!- Full Beam only works on one side

hey got mot coming up and thought needed new bulbs because only one full beam worked on my headlights but have fully tested and i cant figure out why since its not the existing bulbs or new ones, visually wire are ok, this one has me stumped!!
need help from you guys coz MOT is due soon and wont pass like that

any advice will be very helpful

Eliot

Ex Super S Owner
I had this problem, there was a fuse in-front of the battery and just behind the headlight, it was just a random fuse in the middle of nowhere however when I replaced it the problem was fixed.

OP
OP
pap29
thanks frank ill do that anyway and see how goes.
and eliot i will defo look for that (Y)

keep them coming peeps

OP
OP
pap29
havent been able to try those 2 suggestions yet on acount of the pooring rain but hope to have a chance tomorrow with my umbrella so if anyone has any other things to try while im at it please let me know :wasntme:

thanks!

OP
OP
pap29
ok now really worried
checked fuses - fine
did dip dim guide - didnt solve my problem
looked for random fuse but only found headlight fuses in fuses box - fuses fine

so i dont know what to do and need to mot car next week
please help me :(

Eliot

Ex Super S Owner
ok now really worried
checked fuses - fine
did dip dim guide - didnt solve my problem
looked for random fuse but only found headlight fuses in fuses box - fuses fine

so i dont know what to do and need to mot car next week
please help me :(

yeah the randon fuse I have is proably meant to be in the box, I would switch the lights on and give the headlight wires a fiddle too see if any are dodgy. Besies that im fresh out of ideas, I hate electrical faults.

OP
OP
pap29
taken 2 pictures to maybe help.
first picture is high beam (only works on drivers side)
and the secod is on dipped beam which is fine

Attachments

• SDC12152.JPG
    SDC12152.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 298
  • SDC12153.JPG
    SDC12153.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 268

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
Post deleted by me who didn't read the first post properly :blush:.

mullet

Ex. Club Member
did you put the bulb in upside down?
or else it could be the wireing for the fuse check the conections with a volt tester

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Get a new bulb, some bulbs look ok visually but don't work. Or just put the bulb in from the passenger side to test it.

Does the plug look burned or a bit bubbly?

my headlight prob is different - switching bulbs proves that on the driver side the bulb will not do normal beam....full beam is fine.
when the stalk is twisted for full beam the headlights use a different section of each bulb for full - low and normal operate on one section of the bulb, full beam uses diff section.
i got a new bulb for 8 squid but prob persists as it is connected to prob with fuel pump in my case .......argh!!
try a new bulb? maybe you can't really see if one section has gone.

C0llis0n

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
Take a good look at the headlight fuse holder. Im solving mine at the moment to get her ready for MoT. Basically the holder had completed corroded on one side so when I replaced the fuse for it there was still no circuit. So Ive had to take that connection out and replace with new.

Failing that try another bulb and get a meter on those wires.

I had the dim/dip problem where both headlight and main beam were not working on passenger side but didn't know about the dim/dip unit at the time.

I added a couple of relays and took a feed off of the driver side headlight/main beam.

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
I had the dim/dip problem where both headlight and main beam were not working on passenger side but didn't know about the dim/dip unit at the time.

I added a couple of relays and took a feed off of the driver side headlight/main beam.

was gona say relay worth a chek-change scrapees

OP
OP
pap29
ok i sorted it thank god.
thanks everyone for all your help,
i turned out that when the bulb plug was replaced due to it burning out (bout 10 months ago) that the earth was connected up wrong so it had been fine all this time as it had been drawing its earth through the dim dip box as thats earthed but recently given up and that explains the draw of power. now better than ever and all my earthing point are cleaned up and connectors clean.
thanks again everyone:laugh: