full beam headlight and buzzing sound

saskak

Club Member (Trial)
Hi all,

I know that this problem has been discussed before, but I could not find a solution. Here it is.

I have got K11 Micra Shape 1.0L (P reg). The right hand side headlight (drivers side) stopped working one day and the full-beam lamp on the dash was on (only on dipped headlights), although I am not on full-beam. When on sidelights, there was a buzzing sound coming from the dash (stops when dipped or full-beam headlights).
I searched the forum and checked fuses (everything OK, engine compartment and driver side under steering column), though one connection on the bulb holder had melted. Replaced it and the buzzing sound stopped, but the full-beam lamp is still on. Both headlights are working (sidelights, dipped, full beam). I even checked the indicator stalk, as per fordy's description, but could not find anything wrong with it.

On top of that, I left the car one day, to return and the sidelights were on, although I remember that they were not on when I left it. The switch on the stalk was OFF, but the sidelights were on. Somehow they switched OFF.

I think it may be an earth connection problem, but do not really know where to look for these connections. Where are they, engine compartment or drivers footwell.

Will be extremely grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks a lot guys.

You have to look in 2 places. 1 being the fusebox situated infront of the battery, 2 check the H4 connector on the headlight which isn't working.

You're looking for oxidation of the fuse terminals and fuse blades and oxidation and possibly overheating on the headlight connector. This is a common problem on k11s and will need some re-wiring & possible replacement of the headlight connector in order to rectify it properly, (something I have actually just done prior to mot on my car).

Well, these were the first things that I checked, when the headlight stopped working. Checked all fuses, under the steering column and in the engine compartment in from of the battery. Also replaced the light bulb holder, H4 connector, wires, bulb, the whole shebang.
Yes, one of the H4 connectors had melted, but after replacing the whole thing, the full-beam headlight is still on, when on dipped lights.

Just do not know what to look for. It is possible that the relay is faulty, but don't have a spare one to replace or check it.

Back