Nissanubaru Micra WRX i'll explain

Finished the engine mounts today :)
Just got the puzzle of the steering rack to contend with and I should be onto a use able car. Micra rack this time as opposed impreza one
Although it has no lights, wings, bumper etc. That's all cosmetic :p

Got the engine with 0.5mm of alignment from each edge. About 1 degree so I'm pretty pleased.
Lots left to do but its all so simple now I've finally overcome the alignment.

Should be test drive time in 2/3weeks (weather permitting) :D

Picture... because its one of those small parts that you're ridiculously proud of
1390255774084.jpg

Turbo time
Got this for free
1390686138828.jpg
Its a TF035HM turbo off of a forester turbo. No play at all and I get exhaust housing on Monday :p

My other turbo I had in my shed was in my mind a t15/17 as it was so small... turns out its a TD04-09

the 9b is the baby of the TD04,s andy, about 1/3rd smaller than the other TD04,s
The 9 as far as I'm aware is only found in diesels :)
The TF035 is the same size as the usual TD04L
And the TF035HM (not TD035) being the same as the impreza TD04

Last edited:
Regardless of compressor trim... the exhaust turbine housing is stupidly small on all the TD04 to the point I'd almost call it restrictive

Maybe :D
I chucked the oe one so I can't use it :/

It can't be fixed has to allow soo some movement
But I might just fix the lot :p

Make a carrier frame, bolt to underside with rubber washers.
I've got just that :) a frame with threaded bars welded in to prod through the diff holes.. but then a fiddly fandangled couple of bars to mount the frame to the tunnel work.. that's the irritating fiddly bit :p

Please use clear acrylic instead of metal? Would be sooo cool
It'd have to be ballistic polycarbonate? So I dont get stones through the cabin

Anyway I'm pretty sure I said to you its near mechanical completion? Which is around 30/40% of the entire project

It'd have to be ballistic polycarbonate? So I dont get stones through the cabin

Anyway I'm pretty sure I said to you its near mechanical completion? Which is around 30/40% of the entire project
Cling Film would do no?

Yeah probabaly did, oh well....Is it getting resprayed after it all?

So after thinking about it why should I hide this away so I'll bring you a small update
Not up-to-date mind need a bumper incase the snow comes and I need to keep this ticking over

I would start at the engine bay but my distinct lack of progress photos isn't a good start :/

Now I don't remember where I got to with this blog so I'll start here
1391165079453.jpg

The tunnel was cut to 10inch wide and square
The floor was also cut and levelled
1391165148023.jpg

The next step was to lay foundation for the tunnel to be built on
1391165227621.jpg

The lower section is a pain to weld because of the uneven floor so it was drilled every 3inches, then clamped to the box and welded

Next was making the front frame. Woulda been easy if it was square but its not. And also at that point it was decided on the steering rack so the mount had to be left intact

1391165373103.jpg

Now this photo I've shown you before
1391165503970.jpg
I'm pretty proud of it.. but its a small piece so I was always gonna be :p

This is the gearbox mount. It lives under the box and attached to the frame

In that area
1391165581225.jpg

Next was the rear subframe.and diff
Remember this
1391165650483.jpg

This was never going to last. They've been undone, cut down, welded and bolted back up as they should have been. Again distinct lack of photos :/

What I do have is this
1391165731649.jpg

The entire floor was cut out around the seams of the chassis. I've lost no strutural integrity this way as the chassis remains unharmed

Next bit was debated for a while. But in the end I went for it
These were in my no cut zone. The Main rear chassis leg was cut as was the sub frame byt it has worked out well and I've lost no structural integrity
1391165864245.jpg

1391165934893.jpg

Box section measured and cut
1391165962785.jpg

Perfect fit ;)

1391165989861.jpg

The masterpiece continues

Welded in place
1391166155392.jpg

1391166215755.jpg

Overview of rear
1391166309461.jpg

Top section as you can see in the pic above is there
So
1391166256069.jpg

The gear linkage mounts to that centre brace

Bracing added
1391166281711.jpg

That's all I can show you I'm afraid. Unless my helper has taken a few photos I'm all out. Up til this point at least

Previous mention of the diff mount.. that's now complete with a finished photo only :/ no in between ones. I'll get some of the gearbox mount and linkage mount too
Not forgetting the propshaft centre bearing mount too... so much to share

I have none at all of the engine and mounting so I need to get some of those despite the moderate changes yet to be applied

Looks like it's coming along pretty quickly right now :)

Aren't you going to have to have pretty thin bucket seats to fit in that gap now? Or its it bigger than it looks?
It does look extremely narrow doesn't it... but if I show you this pic (requires neck tilting)
1391192767618.jpg

Then relate it to the other tunnel photo
1391192815950.jpg

They just fit... just

without a hole amount of brown nosing Andy theres an awful lot of win going on here!

Im not sure if id shown you this before but its a different take on scoobyfrankensteining!

http://www.uphillracers.com/showthread.php/subareno-cliopreza-rs172-wrx-type-5647.html
Haha thanks Paul. It gets better but I'll do a load more, then update here. Its currently about 3 weeks behind :)

Before I click on the link.. was this where the impreza floorplan was cut and rewelded into the clio shell?

There was a 106 with impreza engine and running gear in too on eBay a small while ago, but the engineering side of that one left very little to be desired. It was very err... flimsy? Chassis legs cut, no strengthening and it never ran surprisingly :/
It was definitely someone's first attempt at a project. Though if I'm wrong.. I dread to think how other projects ended up.

Haha thanks Paul. It gets better but I'll do a load more, then update here. Its currently about 3 weeks behind :)

Before I click on the link.. was this where the impreza floorplan was cut and rewelded into the clio shell?

Thats the one mate, i think the fella has rather deep pockets!

O dear, sounds like it would fold like an accordion that 106!

There was a 106 with impreza engine and running gear in too on eBay a small while ago, but the engineering side of that one left very little to be desired. It was very err... flimsy? Chassis legs cut, no strengthening and it never ran surprisingly :/
It was definitely someone's first attempt at a project. Though if I'm wrong.. I dread to think how other projects ended up.
I like your build it will be one off and a micra with 4wd and scooby sound it's defo one of the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats the one mate, i think the fella has rather deep pockets!

O dear, sounds like it would fold like an accordion that 106!
Aye it seems it mate.
This has cost sub £500 so far and wont quite reach 4 figures either :)
So for the price of a CG+T I got a whole car of epic.... hopefully
I like your build it will be one off and a micra with 4wd and scooby sound it's defo one of the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers Azzy :)

Back