new project

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
about 3months ago i bought a super s engine and wanted to turbo it but never had the time but today the project started me and my friend at work have gutted the engine replacing most parts were trying to go for biggish bhp but strugglin to get forged piston

ill post some pics up soon

thanks for reading

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
just after some help what pistons will fit im thinking about putting bigger pistons in but going forged ill get some pics 2moro while at work jus waiting for the new sumpt the old one had rusted straight through owell new parts mmmmmmmmmm :)

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
im in sheffield ive found some pistons but ive also now been offered a system that will alow you to run 18psi of boost and alters compression im not definite how it works but im going to look into it

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
cheers mate just having a problem now getting hold off a full gasket kit and big end bearings and piston rings one of my mates who works at a motor factors is looking into it for me

purchased my turbo today its a t2 off a renault 5 gt turbo only done 3k miles and no play car was scraped because of bodywork makes me so happy

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
sarge3uk

well done on the turbo !
motor factor stuff is pretty thin on the ground for k11 engines i have found, one reason i think is that the rings and shells etc are sized and graded/selected which keeps the tollerences on these CG,s extreemly accurate ( thats why they,ll take so much stick imo )

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
i still cant believe the build quality internally its unbelivible so simple but so reliable ive been in touch with my mate at the motor factor he mays have sorced me some bits so im very happy

manifolds been modified today awaiting turbo now

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
all valves have now been removed and the head has been modified for the turbo oil feed ive recieved my turbo in excellent condition have to put some pics up when i get time

thanks for reading

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
at last

Attachments

• 31071.jpg
    31071.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 77

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
right turbos arrived using all orginal parts manifold has been chopped at bottom and going to weld a flange straight to it seen it done on this site turbo is been reconditioned by myself its all in a days work ha ha

the head i dont really want to skim it but its abit rough but for my own satisfaction im going to do it so now theres the worry of compression im wanting to run 7psi for trackdays and normal daily driving it will be 2-3psi and adjustable for different styles so any help guys would be a massive help

all gaskets,piston rings and bearings have all been sourced £160 all in im ver happy with that

what pistons are you planning on using? 7psi is a fair bit of boost to be using on the track on stock pistons even with lower compression... constantly on the go pedal. how do you plan to run 2-3psi? why did you reco the turbo? you should be getting your oil feel of the oil pressure sensor, the head is the last place to see any oil, just gaurantees oil is going to get there quicker.

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
standard pistons but i work with a lad at work and he builds track day cars so hes helping me with boost and stuff adjustable boost controller most likely i recond the turbo for my satisfaction i was going to get the turbo feed from there orginally but was assured it would be ok from the head because there will be a constant feed due to pressure and oil going to the cams

it will be seeing the track once in a blue moon if it goes pop ive always a spare engine that was my idea so i could keep messing around till i got the perfect combination on standard stuff really

yeh no problems. just a better way to do it. early 4g63's used the oil feed from the head also, it is well known for them to starve oil from the turbo because,.. it is the last place to see oil. blue monster never saw a track... you can hardly say its a fast reliable car if it doesn't get used to its full potential, but then, it wasn't built for the track either was it. was just wondering how/what actuator you were going to use to run 2 psi. i've been hunting for a while, and the lowest boost i can find over here is about 5psi.

CMF_Touge Tune

» CMF Member
As Turbo march said......not a good idea to get turbo oil feed from head, especially if car is going to see the track. Best location is to "T" off where the oil pressure sender is on the side of the block with the oil return goinmg back to the sump directly.

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
it wont be always a track car once a year general use really.acutor im not sure bout that one mate weve designed something that has been tried and tested by the guy at work so were going to try it on mine sorry if i snapped i had one of those days sorry to u all

ill get a pic of what ive made to t off from the head if i can find it losing everything ha ha

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
heres a pic of the head after 4 hours of cleaning and 6 cans of carb cleaner all oil ways are clear now and intake and exhaust side have been cleaned

manifold has cut down more to fit the turbo flange lambda hole has been plugged ive been told i could have the car remapped so it wont need lambdas can any explain how thanks james sargent

Attachments

• 31405.jpg
    31405.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 44

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
james

most of the time the ecu is running on closed loop, where the lamda analyses the exhaust and the ecu sets the mixture to suit
i think your man will remap the ecu to run without the lamda feedback ( expect a low mpg! )

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
i had a chat with some one yesterday you can get an acutour (sorry about spelling) that can run right down to 0psi so the turbo isnt working at all bloke at work owns one ill get a pic tuesday when i get bak to work

cheers frank2 your imformation is always a help to me THANKYOU

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
right boost problem has been thought about and it is very possibe im goin to use the same setup a toyota starlet uses or possibly ford rs turbo a simple swith to change boost and able to run the boost i want u can run any boost you can also make the boost that low you can turn the turbo off loads of new pics to be posted when i get in from work thanks for reading james sargent

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
its jap in uk but there adjustable to your engine management as far as i know

all u nned is softer springs in your acuator and u can run as much as u like or ther is the option of leaking boost adjust dumpvalve internals etc etc

Attachments

• 31738.jpg
    31738.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 30
sarge3uk WROTE:

"its jap in uk but there adjustable to your engine management as far as i know<BR><BR>all u nned is softer springs in your acuator and u can run as much as u like or ther is the option of leaking boost adjust dumpvalve internals etc etc

hmm, yes i realise putting a softer spring in it will let you run less boost, but didn't want to go hacking up an actuator and have it looking pov and dodgy. leaking boost out the dumpvalve or bov isn't the greatest idea, makes your turbo work harder then it needs to..shorter life, etc, although this would be more of a problem at higher boost rather then at 2 or 3 psi....

manifold looks. er, custom designed

what pistons / headgasket did you end up deciding on?

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
pistons goin in normal.im going for a genuine nissan one ive been reassured it will have a much longer life span compared to others

manifold is going to be heat rapped so it dosent need to be perfection really and like stated before im goint to be using the standard manifold because it has been done before with no problems

if you have a look at my car on this site, you'll see that its pretty professional, there's no real way to cut and actuator in half and put it back together again and make it look good, but i guess if you hide it well enough it'd be ok. genuine pistons? what headgasket are you using then? and what thickness?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
turbo

pretty professional ????
your workmanship is awesome imo !
lads, why would you want to run at 2 or 3psi ? if atmosheric pressure is 15psi another 2 or 3 will hardly make any difference surely ?
it seems a lot of hassle for about a 5hp gain !

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
cheers frank2 always make my day.just made my turbo flange today just little more grinding then ill get a pic up and get it welded on

i could run 5psi and still be running strong

the turbo is a t2 off a renault 5gt turbo

my fone is crap for pics so it makes everything look worse but thankyou for commenting on my workmanship made me very happy

pretty proffesional and that matters because mine will be just as reliable

frank2 WROTE:

"turbo<BR><BR>pretty professional ????<BR>your workmanship is awesome imo !<BR>lads, why would you want to run at 2 or 3psi ? if atmosheric pressure is 15psi another 2 or 3 will hardly make any difference surely ?<BR>it seems a lot of hassle for about a 5hp gain !

2-3psi makes a massive difference mate, compared to a n/a car, the differnce of a turbo conversion is really noticable even at that amount of boost.

Back