Network Problem

Was wondering if anyone can help. I run a wireless network at my house. Unsecured (I know its dodgy) and my mate has come round with his wireless lappy. I finds the network but then refuses to let us onto it. Basically all it says is unable to conect. Any help would be great because were getting a bit mad and Ollie is at work. Cheers

Make sure your mate's IP address configuration is set to automatic, and you dont have MAC filtering enabled on the router. Mac filtering is different to normal WEP etc security

Thread moved to non car chat

so many things it could be with wireless.

other then that arnold said might be worth checking that the laptop and the wirelss access point are both using the same speed (B or G not sure which is the fast and which is the slow one).

or just use a big long cable like i do becuase wireless is too slow, unreliable and annoying

G is the faster of the two. Usually though the client machine will automatically adjust its speed based on the router's speed & environment (interference, distance etc).

Sometimes routers can be picked up by clients but not joined, and rebooting the router sorts it out. Pretty crappy but it sometimes works.

I think that Ollie installed random things on the wireless network connection properties. Not sure whats meant to be there, installed a few and things like logging on have changed slighty, which is weird

Thanks for your help people. Gave up in the end gonna wait for Ollie.

I made the network unsecure due to software problems (some cheapy network card software which was poo) I set up MAC address filtering, showed Holla how to do it for future reference.

Back