Router Advice / Help

B

Ben

Ok, so imagine the scene....
christmas day, me with a laptop and a router/wireless network/modem thingmebob.....

yep so we all know that didnt work out too well, got it working eventually but then late one night i managed to screw it uip and its never worked since...

Basically, i had the router plugged into the main comp downstairs acting as a modem and using my laptop in my room wirelessly. Now we have a new prblem though as we just had Blueyounder installed and no longer with Bt and my Belkin router thing that was using is not compatible with blueyonder so i was wondering if anyone could suggest any sort of router thing so i could use the same set up (MUST BE EASY TO INSTALL THOUGH!!) not having another nightmare 12 hours!

Basically, i wanna be able to use the net on my laptop from my room but the main PC and modem is downstairs in the dining room, to be honest it doesnt even need to be wireless, any suggestions? Any help appreciated!

Oh and does anyone wanna buy a Belkin router thing?

if its a switch/router (which it more then likely is), you can plug your modem into it, and it'll divide the bandwidth to all physical ports. But it won't for wireless connections. It's a new router im afriad.

right cheers for the help, so what do i do with that? plug it into my main pc then wat? is it easy to install as the Belkin was a complete pain in the arse

take it its not wireless? then what would i do, run a wire into my room or summit? Would have to be a decent sized wire like, will that affect quality?

Very easy Ben.

Modem into Router (with lead provided), Pc into router with a straight through cat5 cable (patch).

Layla - How do you mean? Ben's old router is an ADSL router so it won't have a port for a cable modem to plug in.

DHCP rules wahooooooo

personally Ben i would have stayed with BT, thats coming from someone who worked at telewest blueyonder for a year

Allan said:
Very easy Ben.

Modem into Router (with lead provided), Pc into router with a straight through cat5 cable (patch).

Layla - How do you mean? Ben's old router is an ADSL router so it won't have a port for a cable modem to plug in.

cheers for all the help/advice but then once ive done that...

Modem into router
Pc into router

How do i use my laptop? is it wireless?

i got the netgear dg834gt its both a wireless router, wired hub and modem with built in firewall too so u can connect up your phoneline to it dont even have to b near comp n either connect up a cat5 cable to ur pc or wireless n it work like that + u got wireless on ur laptop so that b fine but i recommend getting the pack with a free usb wireless dongle though i think they go for about £60 these days worth it imo

Back