My Micra K11 1996 .

Keep being told to join micra.org for help and advice so here I am :blues:

My Nan has owned this car for the last 10 years , she gave up driving as she is 88 .

She gave me the car to use and it's a good fun little car , tbh I like the way it handles for a standard car .
It's not slow either , pick this to drive over the Ford KA .
Ford has better gearing not revving much at 90mph , the Micra is happier at just over 80mph .
Don't drive everywhere at 90mph ..... just an example of the difference iin gearing .

Want to start doing a few mods on it here and there .

DSCF1197-1.jpg

Thanks Frank and Shaun ,
Well , it needs lowering first then maybe some 15's ?
It's a pretty tidy one as been driven to shops and back for 10 years , we have always washed it for her .
Fitted an air filter so far ,
Will put pic up .
Had this for a few months now but not realy thought about messing with it , until recently .

winter freeze wet seasons here soon, k11's gonna show the comfort aall the way through the year
how long you had him now?

Tempting eh?

could always go over to eBay and see what they have lol

Very tempting , need some a bit cheaper :grinning: going to breakers at weekend , I'm guessing that any Nissan 4 stud will fit ?
Would you recommend some 14's or 15's ?
You didn't seem too keen on the idea .
Steelies are fine .

winter freeze wet seasons here soon, k11's gonna show the comfort aall the way through the year
how long you had him now?

My Nan had the little Micra for about 10 years now , we have always looked after it for her . (Y)

Don't want to do terrible rat look stuff .... not sure how to go yet ,
Would like it dropped on some slightly bigger wheels .

Thanks for that Frank , don't know a lot about Nissans to be totally honest .
Been mainly into Vauxhalls , just thought why not have a bit of fun with the little Micra , will have to keep it anyway or I wont be popular with my Nan , haha .
Fitted a real nice Kenwood head unit the other week from a mate , would like to get some decent front speakers .... that will be it as far as music goes .
Suspension and wheels .... 1 stop yep .

Thanks a lot for the info there James .
Will have a look at breakers when there next , for a start .

The car is solid now , the front cross member and sills have had a small amount of welding .

Thinking of buying some new standard springs and giving them a chop , want it to go down at least 50mm ....
Anyone got a guide on how much to chop ?
Thanks .

Thinking of buying some new standard springs and giving them a chop , want it to go down at least 50mm ....
Anyone got a guide on how much to chop ?
Thanks .

Be prepared to start the spring chopping debate :laugh:. The ride will be both hard and bouncy with chopped springs on stock shocks (which are only rated for the stock springs), and a set of lowering springs and uprated shocks aren't that expensive.

However, if you do chop them - I'm not sure if there's a guide as such, but I think I chopped off 1 coil from the rear and 2 or 3 from the front, that gave me enough drop that I had to roll my arches. Just make sure that when you chop them, you line up the cut with the tip of the spring. And when you remove the springs off the front struts (can be done with them still attached, it's just a bit fiddly) use spring clamps - unless you want a spring under a lot of tension fired at your face fwn. You will also need to make some sort of axle strap to prevent the springs from coming out of the rear cups

Have got spring compressors .... no probs there ,
I know some people frown at cutting springs and haven't done chopped springs since my Sierra about 11 years back .. :laugh:
They were fine , didn't go mental but a nice drop .

This kinda strictly pikey budget modding .
Gotta be best to start with a new set of springs though ?

Just get yourself down the local scrappie and get some springs. No point buying new springs if all you're going to be doing is cutting them anyway. But personally I don't see a problem with chopping the springs, I've done it on my Fiesta as well as my K11, never had any problems

Well , had some probs the other weekend coming back from Southend ... about a 60mile trip , was in the last 15 miles and had a noise coming from the osf wheel , we got stuck in some traffic and a lorry driver probably heard the noise and said we had a loose wheel .
Pulled over to check the wheels . .... couldn't remove cable ties and we were in a layby ... poxy cable ties , broke my pen knife :suspect:

Luckily about 2 miles away from one of our friends , so we gave him a ring , he came with cutters so we checked all wheels and no problem , turns out the drivers side caliper was seized ..... drove it home carefully and on the handbrake at times .

Thanks to Pollyp for sending me a new brake caliper :)

Back