my facelift k11 turbo build thread

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Put a couple of missing hose clamps on the charge pipe, this has now increased the max pressure to about 7-8psi at about 5000rpm. It's surprisingly quick at high rpm now, and for a sub 1 litre it has lots of torque, even at 0psi, cruising at 70mph on the hilliest of motorways is alot easier and is out performing alot of bigger cars who struggle.

7858996066_bf58b434c5_z.jpg

I've covered about 500miles with the turbo on, and it's running rather well, returning about 35mpg now, turbo only kicks in around 3000rpm so it's basically a 1.0 up till then, the power off boost is about the same as before I put the turbo on despite the exhaust and intake. Having trouble removing this faulty lambda though, ideally want to be in closed loop off boost but looking at the sparkplugs I don't think I am, I've now unlpugged it and it's running a tad better for some reason.

Got myself a little 400cell cat convertor, going to put this in exhaust before the cherrybombs and possibly weld the the stock rear muffler to the rest of the system, even if it dampens performance it should be worth it for a quieter, legal and MOTable(ish) exhaust, have been treading carefully around the police lately.

7859001254_117f9d7fbb_z.jpg

The recirc BOV, although not actually recirculating, is a lot louder than I expected too and is also totally ruining the sleeperness of the car, may redirect it to blow into the cabin :)

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Thank you guys :D
Hopefully there's more to come, followed by some 1/4 mile timeslips.

Still finishing off this ported & polished head, going to get it skimmed 1mm for a 10.5:1 c/r, this should give a bit more power off boost and allow for less pressure to be applied when on-boost.

I've connected the side exit up to the stock rear silencer now with some high temp silicon hosing, it's blowing a bit obviously, but the raspy & droning noises have gone, just a much more subtle purr now. Not sure what to do for long-term plans, may try to make a 2" version out of universal parts.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Have covered 400 miles since last update, returning about 35mpg with mixed driving. Running quite well, I tried to get some vids up but I failed. 0-60mph is about 8 seconds now I reckon, but with the current 155/70/13's on I usually end up spinning the tyres in 1st and 2nd.

I've now retarded the ignition timing, seems a little smoother upto 0psi but power on boost has almost vanished, have to shift up at 5000rpm. Going to try a few different positions, try and find it's sweet spot, but reliability is important.

I've now got the BOV venting into the cabin. Damn loud now, but more inconspicious to other road uses hopefully.
7945253252_e4c487fe01_z.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Having a nightmare with this lambda sensor. Would heat it up with a 30min drive, or get a blow torch on it, but it just won't budge. Spanner would just round it, lambda socket cammed out, so I've cut it down and used a different socket, that did the same so I've tried welding the socket to it but I can't penetrate the nut. Any ideas?
7945249040_eb3d3160b8_z.jpg

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"I would weld a nut on the end matt (wheelnut ?) and turn it while still hot :)

That's not working either, doesn't want to penetrate, the weld just runs off. I'll keep at it for today, but I'm thinking about leaving it and welding in another lambda bolt lol

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Car has been missfiring a little now I retarded the timing a touch, approx 13*btdc at 900rpm. So I've been pushing this up a little and it seems quite suited to 18*, or thereabouts (using consult to measure). Seems nippier at low revs, boost seems to kick in a little earlier too, and makes more power above 5000rpm now.

I've now fitted the cooler NGK BKR7 spark plugs.
Here's the Super4's that saw about 400miles with the turbo fitted, next to the BKR5's that I've just removed that also saw about 400miles with the turbo fitted.
7957058880_0dc8336e20.jpg

Cam cover has developed a slow leak all around the edges, might have to use sealant on it. Also noticed the coolent has skyrocketed to 200*c now with the turbo on, I don't think I've seen it above 140*c before. Got to that after about 5 miles. Slam pannel is now hotter than cam cover, eek.

And that lambda sensor's stuck in there like a mofo. Exhaust will be off next week so will cut, drill and retap it I think.

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"Consult will only read the timing relative to where you have "manually" preset the base timing wont it matt ?

Ie, set it with a strobe, then adjust it via consult ?

Something like that yeah, but I do think the ecu knows where it's manually set.
I've marked on the dizzy where 15*btdc is, and I know fully turned clockwise/advanced is about 20*btdc. Currently I'm in the middle of these markers, and consult(or Nissan datalog I think it is I've got) jumps around 17*-20* at 900-1100rpm, dropping to about 4* at 900rpm idle.
When the dizzy was retarded slightly past 15*btdc, it read about 13*-15* at 900-1100rpm and 3* at 900rpm idle.

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
My load advance goes up to 25 at cruise, then gets upto about 35, occassionally 40 while accelerating. I'm not too clued up with it though, but it's working well atm.
It ran fine at stock 15*, then I retarded it slightly but it then ran crap on boost. Now I'm slightly more advanced and it's running great. Odd, I thought more retard would be better/safer on boost.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
My stock 1.0 type 4 ecu runs at 15 deg @idle and rises to 40+ @ 4k iirc matt (with no load).
But as soon as you apply any load it pulls a lot of that advance back off, and i think when you,re boosting you need to pull even more back, hence why people just run base retard eh.
And why piggybacks without ignition control are making it worse still.
Micra_pete claimed that the 1.0 ecu runs extra total advance iirc, and when my n/a 1.3 was dyno,d at bromsgrove a couple of years ago the hp rose when i added about 10 deg of retard (but that made it laggy lowdown)

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Yeah, I've read that the 1.0 ecu has an extra 5degrees of advance.
Maybe the ecu takes into account the base timing, and what it displays through consult is that load advance then?
I'll have to do more testing and data recording, see what it's doing on boost. Got a wideband O2 kit in post too, better take precautions before I increase power. Running well atm though :)

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
This week I've been making a 2" stainless version of the original backbox, using the stock Micra backbox and universal bends. The stock one, roughly plumbed up, quietened it down alot without reducing power too much. Went this route to keep it relatively quiet and less than a 1/4 the price of aftermarket Micra boxes and cheaper than other ready-made parts too.

Stock, cut open. 3 chamber setup.
7997947716_96f0d93777_z.jpg

Drilled spot welds and bashed the insides till loose.
7997943627_77de7be85c_z.jpg

Emptied.
7997946732_cd2eb32af3_z.jpg

1 chamber, 2 perforated pipes, 2" throughout.
What it'll sound like I don't know.
7997949886_0198e85f35_z.jpg

Welded up.
7997939419_5dfaa100e8_z.jpg

Alot of welding on this mini project, I got better as I went along.
7997945616_8567515928_z.jpg

Subtle :)
7997942328_af93bef950_z.jpg

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Slightly awkward bend, tricky as I'm out of bent pipe.
8003820054_e5ee8dae87_z.jpg

And out of time, silcone hose and tape will do until next week.
8003818876_2245e59036_z.jpg

Wideband sensor in place.
8003815451_9e44a6ab63_z.jpg

Innovate MTX-L wideband controller and gauge.
8003817638_26f51f3c9b_z.jpg

Finally got around to it, it seems I've been running at about 13:1 on a cold idle, 15:1 at cold cruise and 12:1 on boost while cold. when warmed up idles about 18:1, cruise about 13:1 and boost fluctuates & creeps between 11:1 to 15:1 - @ 6000rpm the power starts to drop as the the afr gets above 15:1. But more tesing needed.

Breather hose connector seem to have a built-in 1 way valve, or atleast it restricts air entering the head, was a little woried by the boost pressure pressurising the case, but surprised at the lack of oil coming out the other open port. Anyway I put a spare on the end so no boost pressure's entering the case and same amount of boost leak as before, will block it off at some point.
8003992093_12c76f017d_z.jpg

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Vacuum hose isnt connected to stock fpr so it will be at 3bar i think. And lambda isnt connected either atm, but ill get that sorted.
Not tried any softer springs, its seriously leaning out on boost, 16:1 at 4psi, 18:1 at 6psi :/ so will try bigger injectors first then bring pressure down i think ?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
I think i would run the stock lambda matt, (fueltrims/limpmode etc).
And the pump will only supply up to 5 bar ish i think mate, so the 12:1 will have limited scope unless you drop the base pressure eh :)

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Still fighting with this stock lambda sensor though lol, but this wideband has an additional narrowband output, so I'm going to try and connect that up, hoping it will help with fuel economy, try and run closed loop at cruise.
Ah right, I thought the fuel pump wouldn't be able to cope, and it keeps getting louder, so I've got a skyline one in post to replace it. Moving in the right direction now, wideband O2 kit is a very good tool.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Yes the wideband sounds useful matt, i,ve opted for a nistune board instead eh :)
I think that if you,re using a 3 bar base pressure, then after about 3 psi of boost (ie 45 psi + 12 x 3) then the pump will be maxxing out eh .
Where,as with a lower base pressure and bigger injectors, you have more in reserve eh

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
U tried disconnecting the speed sensor wire between the speedo n ecu? Cos that makes the stock map lean out in 4-5th gear for some reason when on a certain rpm and speed combo

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Here's a vid of the wideband next to the narrowband at a 30mph cruise in 3rd and 4th gear, warmed up properly now.
It's like this in all gears at low rpm at cruise. With about 13:1 under acceleration off boost, 11:1 at wot off boost but when boost comes on it gradually leans out as boost pressure rises.
This cruise isn't too bad I think, considering Lambda sensor's not connected to ecu yet, but limited as a change in rpm or throttle position can push it to 13:1 easily.

And a video of it at a 30mph cruise in 4th and 5th, while cold, so no narrowband signal. Followed by WOT and fuel enrichment. 6 seconds in it goes upto 22:1 as throttle's closed and injectors cut off.

CMF_k11_facelift

» CMF Member
Went to put the Skyline gts-t fuel pump in today. Should have been an straight forward swap, but I had heard that some late K11's came with skinnier fuel pumps. Turns out mine has the skinnier fuel pump :(

Skyline on top, Micra underneath.
8023790055_a85c212f2f_z.jpg

How it looked in the tank.
8023791011_2c8ea16bb8_z.jpg

So I bodged it, trimmed the swirl pot and secured it with an additional cable tie.
8023787004_6c29190dcc_z.jpg

Result is about the same as before, slightly noticeable gain in throttle response, but still leans out under boost. bugger.

Here's a longer vid of the narrowband, wideband and boost gauges during daily driving. Accelerate with wot at about 3min and 4:30min in. Boost gauge isn't clear but goes upto 0psi under light load with 13:1, and climbs upto 5psi in 2nd at 5500rpm shift with about 17:1.

Back