The DIY turbo build thread

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
The rear bumpers finished. On to the front guards, doors and hatch next, then finish off with the body.

Attachments

• 82585.jpg
    82585.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 40

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
Fix the front bar which had cracked on the bottom edge. A bit of fibreglass and bog did the trick. To stop further cracking, I fill the bottom section with expanding foam to give it some extra strength.

Attachments

• 82620.jpg
    82620.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 43

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
******************* DIY GHETTO SIDE SKIRTS ********************************
So I've got a front and rear bar for the Micra but no side skirts and in true DIY style I've decided to have a go at making some side skirts.

I don't know if this is going to work out but I'll have a crack.

So after a bit internet searching in relation to making side skirts I found that some people have use rain gutter to make side skirts, I know it's ghetto but what do you do. If this fails then I'll just try to modify some other side skirt to suit the Micra, as I don't fancy importing side skirts from Japan and there not readily available here, and if you do find some you'll probably have to pay an arm and a leg.

Went to Bunnings and bought a length of PVC rain gutter, also need another set of front mud guards.

Attachments

• 82664.jpg
    82664.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 41

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
I used a off cut to muck around and cut the profile needed for each end of the gutter/side skirt. this off cut is then placed over the top of the gutter to use as a guide to cut the profile needed. I did this because it takes a couple of goes to get it right and if you do it to the length you want to use you will probably end up short.

Anyway once it was cut to length I used some hot glue and double sided tape to hold it in position.

Attachments

• 82667.jpg
    82667.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 37

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
I then drilled a couple of 10mm holes along the gutter and filled it with expanding foam. This will give it a bit of strength and I hope it will hold the mud guards in place till I can fibreglass it to the gutter.

I plan is to let it set over night and then remove it. I'll then use some fibreglass and bog to form the side skirt to the mud guards.

Don't know if it's going to work but you never know unless you have a go, I'm only down $30 if it doesn't work out.

Update tomorrow as long as the rain holds off.

Attachments

• 82668.jpg
    82668.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 39

CMF_Danvillan

» CMF Member
The ghetto side skirt will be put on hold for now may come back to it at a later stage but probably a little to ghetto for my Micra.

FYI, after the foam set I bogged up both side and tried to get some type of shape, need a lot of bog and sanding.

Attachments

• 83003.jpg
    83003.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 40
Back