My cars immobilised!!!! (I THINK)

Stani1029

Club Member
65c8baca.jpg

So went go karting today about 80 miles from home, on the way home about 50 miles away doing about 70-75mph the car turns off and starts to slow. Pulled over to the side and called for recovery. Once home i found theres no spark, theres no fuel, theres no engine management whatsoever! (its not the bulb to the light) and the light on the ecu doesnt come on when ignition is on, it only flickers after you try to start the car. The fuel pump is silent, the engine turns over and there is no diffference if the ecu is plugged in or not.

Im stumped!!

65c8baca.jpg

So went go karting today about 80 miles from home, on the way home about 50 miles away doing about 70-75mph the car turns off and starts to slow. Pulled over to the side and called for recovery. Once home i found theres no spark, theres no fuel, theres no engine management whatsoever! (its not the bulb to the light) and the light on the ecu doesnt come on when ignition is on, it only flickers after you try to start the car. The fuel pump is silent, the engine turns over and there is no diffference if the ecu is plugged in or not.

Im stumped!!

Fuses

i would check the voltage supply to the ecu stani, heres the autodata spec (the key ones are the 4 on the lefthand end eh, 38 36 47 and 46) is it the nistune ecu ?

Attachments

• SDC12237.JPG
    SDC12237.JPG
    217.8 KB · Views: 280
Hope you get it sorted!
Still think the facelift is better designed? :p
Just kidding! - please don't bludgeon me! lol

pre face is what i like but could easily see me having a facelift as you could still achieve this look thats in it to win it
(this one needs going back on the rd a s a p )

I think frank is on the right track, also check ecu plug for looseness and condition. And also the plug/plugs to the left of the ecu which are power to ecu and other wires. The starter isn't controled by ecu, but fuel pump, spark and objectors are.

Ive had the ecu plug on and off a couple times. Doesnt make sense why it was perfect then thats it at a standstill. No signs of anything, ill need to buy a voltmeter to find out so tomorrow now

Wheres this ecu fuse? Ive checked all main fuses that could cause the symptons i have. It is my nistune ecu thats fitted btw

They do just blow sometimes. Ed on AOC was doing a burnout at shakeys and his ECU fuse just went pop, wouldnt start blah blah blah, changed fuse, it works.

Wheres this ecu fuse? Ive checked all main fuses that could cause the symptons i have. It is my nistune ecu thats fitted btw

i think that the autodata test method of removing the big ecu plug and earthing out pinout #4 and checking #38 and #47 for live will verify that your ecu fuse and relay are working ok or not stani

Polly the key doesnt stick though or by sticking do you mean you were getting the symptons i have occasionally

it wasn't the lock barrel mechanism that was sticking, it was the actual sprung loaded metal contacts inside the switch that was stuck n not contacting properly for prob lack of grease. at one point IGN goes off on its own (hear the relay click off) and won't turn back on even after turning the key fully off -> start several times till i leave it few minutes on the On position then the stuck pins slowly spring back to regain contact and IGN turns on.

i took apart the switch, cleaned and stuffed it full of grease and now works perfectly

Not done a voltage test yet, waiting on mikey to bring one. Ignition switch was fine although ive now ####ed it lol gonna have to take it apart and put it back together again or get a scrappy one

THE CULPRIT!!!! Scott got it right

ad35b264.jpg

Feel stupid now, purely because i thought when them fuses popped that the middle part melted and was easy to see. It looks like its just broken rather than melted. Bonus though i got my ignition switch put back together and it works just as it did before!!!

Thanks for the help

A very happy stani!!!!! :D :D

Pictures not totaly clear but certainly looks like its blown. Did you compare it to whatever you replaced it with?

Like i said above, they have just blown in the past without any reason.

Talking to Dave Bull on friday and im sure he said when he stripped his car out and it woudnt start afterwards was down to that fuse.

It looks identical to the one it was replaced witj. Until you removed the clear cover and moved the metal parts it couldnt be seen by eye!

Also there was a 12V signal to those pins as stated above on the ecu

As soon as a working fuse was plugged in, engine management light flicked on and so did the red light on the ecu. Symptoms were engine turning over with no fuel or spark

good news!
that reminds me what happen'd to BLOWNFUSE and his perspex window question,he sounded well and truly ####ed

Arr good. Yeah, mine did the same now I come to think of it. It was ibtermitant so didn't Think it could be a fuse. They just crack rather than blow. Poor design imo. Glad you got it sorted man!

Back