My 1995 k11 starts to vibrate around 75mph!! why?

I've realised just yesterday as I first time took the k11 on the motorway that it seems to vibrate!! I've been told that it could be the Driveshaft / CV-Joints bearing or something.. can that really happen?!
p.s only 1 side of the CV-Joints is new the driver sides not done, still needs doing.

could be.. but i had the MOT done about 4weeks ago and they would've failed it if the wheels needed to be balanced right? one more thing the car went really hott inside 2, cd player was really hot 2. i could feel hott air at my feet. Do u think the engines abit lose or something?

Lets be honest the k11 is'nt the heaviest car in the world! you cant expect it to be perfectly stable at the higher speeds. When I had my stock steering wheel my hands used to be shaking like mad!

but i had the MOT done about 4weeks ago and they would've failed it if the wheels needed to be balanced right?

no they wouldnt have failed it if the wheels need balancing. to me it sounds that they need balancing.

it wont be the driveshaft , CV joint/ bearings.

if it cv joint bearing is gone it will make a clicking noise when on full steering lock.

if it was somthing to do with the driveshaft you would have noticed. i.e oil on the floor.

my old wheels used to wobble at 55-60mph till 90 and stop wobbling lol. turns out they had flat spots on the inside of the wheels...the wheels where horriable to drive on motorways with.

Mine had its MOT last month and passed no bother but like a week later it was shakin stevens.
Wheels were well off.
Get them checked mate.

its definalty balancing and the warm air is normal cause air flow is goin in the cabin faster try turn ur heater to cold next time your on

i see... wot if i check the wheels myself? how will i be able to tell?.. and could any1 tell me how to do a little service on my k11 myself please.. thanks alot guyz if it wasan't for use i would have sold my car lol

youy carnt really check them yourself..its a garage job. only way you can tell is if they wobble at speed witch they do lol.

lol... one more thing i had put £20 petrol in my k11 and drove down to birmingham from manchester and then came back and the petrol needle was completely down!! is that normal? coz people have told me there really good on petrol especially driving on motorways and they should'nt drink when driving on motorways!

Manchester to Birmingham and back on £20 petrol seems about right mate depending on speed. I have worked out that it costs me about £12 to go from Coventry to Liverpool doing 60mph on the motorway

basically because its only like 800kg's and its got a short wheelbase, its never gonna be stable at high speed.

just think of NeX when he did 120 in his! lol

basically because its only like 800kg's and its got a short wheelbase, its never gonna be stable at high speed.

just think of NeX when he did 120 in his! lol

mine was actually solid as a rock at that speed ;)

this has been covered alot, there are many causes, but these are the major ones:

1. Tyre pressure
2. Wheel balancing (this should be done every time a tyre is changed)
3. Tracking

a good garage can do all of this, but tracking and wheel balancing cannot be done at home it takes proper equipment.

if you get it all right your car could do 120 without shaking, its nothing to do with the size of the car or wheels or wheel base or anything like that. tho small cars are effected by wind...

lol... one more thing i had put £20 petrol in my k11 and drove down to birmingham from manchester and then came back and the petrol needle was completely down!! is that normal? coz people have told me there really good on petrol especially driving on motorways and they should'nt drink when driving on motorways!

if your car wasn't shaking itself to bits it would be good on fuel, you can expect about 100 miles for £10 depending on fuel prices

this is ture when its on standard suspension...but with uprated its quite stable at high speeds. altough its still quite rolley on the bends (witch is the only thing i hate about mine!)

this is ture when its on standard suspension...but with uprated its quite stable at high speeds. altough its still quite rolley on the bends (witch is the only thing i hate about mine!)

i disagree mine doesnt roll much at all round corners and i give it some at that. and is stable at 130 never a hint of scaryness lol

id be so lucky im getting 40 miles to a tenner

mine was wobbaling a little bit, had them balanced and the front drivers side tyre was out a bit. was either by 2 or 20 cant remember which one. had them weighted and there better now.

the white line kit makes a huge difference. i got 35mm on the cabriolet with full whiteline and 40mm stock on the Lx and you'd think the Lx would be stronger with less body roll, but the cabriolet is much better

guys in the back seat of my k11 i smell strong petrol, its not leaking or anything i've had it checked by a friend and he dosen't seem to know what it is he thinks its the gasket coz its been ripped off!! does that really happen when the gasket is ripped! well most of it is. And also when i put Petrol in my k11 i smell it really strong then!

guys in the back seat of my k11 i smell strong petrol, its not leaking or anything i've had it checked by a friend and he dosen't seem to know what it is he thinks its the gasket coz its been ripped off!! does that really happen when the gasket is ripped! well most of it is. And also when i put Petrol in my k11 i smell it really strong then!

what gasket are you on about?

take the back seat out and check the seal on the sender

do you know if the fuel pump was ever changed in the car? i had the fuel pump changed in one of my old k11s and ever since it smelt like petrol but for some weird reason it was only when i was reversing lol

I don't know what u call it.. its under neathe the back seats in the centre. its part of the petrol tank thing.

the seal on that is just made of foam. its a metal cover that gives you access to the sender and output pipes of the fuel pump. its just there to stop people falling into the hole when they sit in the back seats.

take that off, (3 bolts 10mm or philips drive) underneith is a big black plastic ring, check that is tight and the seal hasn't perished, also check the pipes, maybe the return pipe has come off for some reason

yeh everything is tight. you know the seal thing it's completely ripped off.. like there's only abit left. that seal thing i've been calling that the "Gasket" lol the mechanic fixed it last time coz it wasan't starting and since then it's been smelling of petrol inside the car lol. where can i get the seal from? and how much will it cost? its that thing whats glued right? feels like cussion?

yeh everything is tight. you know the seal thing it's completely ripped off.. like there's only abit left. that seal thing i've been calling that the "Gasket" lol the mechanic fixed it last time coz it wasan't starting and since then it's been smelling of petrol inside the car lol. where can i get the seal from? and how much will it cost? its that thing whats glued right? feels like cussion?

its just foam, if you are really bothered about it then get another one from a scrappy. or foam tape,

dude goto a professional. If one of your friends lights a smoke in the back and the fumes go up, it would have been worth the money....

dude goto a professional. If one of your friends lights a smoke in the back and the fumes go up, it would have been worth the money....

just because you can smell petrol doesn't mean it will go up in flames.

first of all if you are in the back of a car that smells of petrol you would be stupid if you thought it was ok to spark one up.

secondly, it will only catch fire if there is a decent ratio of petrol vapour to air mix. the kind of level you would be after would mean everyone in the car would have died before they could create a spark...

its just a bit of a leak, the tank will smell of petrol anyway, those little jerry cans always smell of petrol even if they are tight.

but the metal plate keeps the tank on the outside of the car, that is what you are after really...

rather obviously... if you feel the shame through the steering wheel it'll be one of the front wheels. You'd know about it if a CV was on it's way out. Our 205 had an inner CV go, everytime you pulled away it'd thud loudly.

you would know if you had drive shaft problems, you will have knocking and grating noises in full lock left or right and the guy at the garage wont let you drive you car home because its to dangerous (my sisters punto)

do you know if the fuel pump was ever changed in the car? i had the fuel pump changed in one of my old k11s and ever since it smelt like petrol but for some weird reason it was only when i was reversing lol

Yeah sure, mine also smells after I reverse back into the exhaust I've emitted :p LOOL which is totally natural guys...btw

about that o-ring seal in the fuel tank aperture, I've had some issues with the throttle recently and doubted the fuel pump..so go to the fuel pump/tank disassembling page..and started loosening up the bolts...it says that once you upon it up, the seal had to be replaced....

which I didn't...firstly it was an afternoon and every1 was closed and secondly I couldn't leave it open with the car parked as it'd fill up with fumes...and most of all I was doubting the price...cos prices have gone up super high here in Malta..that for that o-ring the shops are likely to amaze you easily...so why the hassle..

running perfectly fine now..no smells yet HIHI!!! :grinning:

btw the fuel pump is super difficult to un mount and to put it back in place...especially with the tank half filled loool!!! I was scared of breaking some plastic up when trying to plug the pump back into the housing with my hands under the fuel... :doh:

cheers every1!

Back