My 1.3 SR Dyno Plot - Jan 2009

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Hi peeps.

I've now had my 1.3 SR for over 1.5 years, and it's running better than ever. I've made a few more tweaks in the past year and not had a dyno run for quite so time, so thought I'd get it dyno'd again. Some quite pleasing results (well, for me anyway!) as its now running slightly more power than previously.

I've also put the AFR information on the graph to show what that's doing, and it seems to be pretty good, with maximum power being reached with an AFR of 12.8.

The Dynapack system measures power at the hubs, I've put an estimated power @ flywheel plot on the graph based on these calculations (http://www.dyno-power-run.com/dynocalc.shtml) but that can be ignored, it's just a rough idea of how the SR is doing and will never be 100% accurate.

Hopefully this will give an idea of what can be achieved when the fuelling is mapped (using an S-AFC in this case). Fueling compensation is +30% in some parts (!). The previous fuel map was modified using the dyno to gain the best performance setup.

Click the thumbnail for the fullsize graph:

Or click here: http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a260/retepetsir/MicraSR2009DynoResults.jpg

Main Modifications:
- Custom Powerflow Exhaust
- Custom ITG Induction Setup
- Mapped fueling via Apexi S-AFC
- Janspeed Performance Manifold
- Custom Decat
- Lots of other little tweaks and changes!

Comments welcome! :upside: :)

max torque at 2400rpm? its almost like a diesel. that will explain the micras ability to pull around town at 30 mph in 5th then.

its a nice graph, you have definately smoothed out the 3krpm droop.. nice work.

max torque at 2400rpm? its almost like a diesel. that will explain the micras ability to pull around town at 30 mph in 5th then.

its a nice graph, you have definately smoothed out the 3krpm droop.. nice work.

Thanks Antony!

Yep, the induction is setup in such a way so as to enhance torque lower down where needed (ram air theory) using certain harmonics. It was initially setup by the previous owner (Dan who worked at Abbey Motorsport and had free use of the dyno, he was the dyno man!) and tuned to the ideal length. :)

Looking at a rough estimate of 95-100bhp at the fly so I'm happy.

I'd be interested in Ed's, Dave's, Craig's, etc comments too if they're around ;)

Thanks frank. Have you had a chance to dyno your beast yet?

yes, but he got it to 99hp @ 5400rpm, and (123lb/ft :eek:) , i think he put the wrong gearing settings in lol, there,s a better inlet cam in now so i ought to try a retest (my guess is 95ish hp and 75ish lb/ft)

Nice, I can say however if you ran more ignition mid range it would make a lot more torque :)

Nice, I can say however if you ran more ignition mid range it would make a lot more torque :)

Ah that's interesting :)

I think I'm at the limits of what the S-AFC can do really, as its maxed out on +30% for the first couple krpm :glance:. Dan definately knew what he was doing though as it runs very nicely, and hopefully that plot is some proof! That's as much as could be 'had' from the setup so I'm happy. Standard torque is 58lbft so I don't think 86lbft is 'too' bad, but do you think that could be sustained for more revs, or even improved upon. Any advice is welcome Ed :)

I guess one of the only solutions to getting more ignition would be an oem ecu remap?

How much more torque could I expect? I'd be looking at producing a flatter torque curve after that initial peak at ~2.5krpm.

At least you think its a genuine and accurate dyno plot and not made up with figures :blush:.

just looking at that torque graph. you have more torque at 1500 rpm than most small hatches on the market at maximum.

thats some serious torqueage you have there. it must feel like a bigger engine.

just looking at that torque graph. you have more torque at 1500 rpm than most small hatches on the market at maximum.

thats some serious torqueage you have there. it must feel like a bigger engine.

Cheers Antony, that's interesting to know! :)

Hmmm maybe time for a lighter flywheel and a stronger clutch...

and Ed reckons I can get more out of it?!

yup. the more you put in the more you can get out.
maybe altering cam timing and rpm would help with power but that depends on what you want from it.

if your just after a flat torque curve then advancing the ignition is the only way. without going silly anyway. where abouts is the dizzy set? is the ignition done on the ECU?

plus if your changing the janspeed manifold a custom one could be a big plus. as frank and low rider will tell you. even the janspeed is restrictive.

yup. the more you put in the more you can get out.
maybe altering cam timing and rpm would help with power but that depends on what you want from it.

if your just after a flat torque curve then advancing the ignition is the only way. without going silly anyway. where abouts is the dizzy set? is the ignition done on the ECU?

plus if your changing the janspeed manifold a custom one could be a big plus. as frank and low rider will tell you. even the janspeed is restrictive.

i think the janspeed flow design is excellant :cool:, it,s just the metal is too thin, and it,s too costly in insurance terms (personally)

fair enough. i was talking with low rider and he said that even the janspeed manifold has its restrictions, especialy the size of the piping and at the joins. but i see what you mean it is paper thin...
low rider runs a stainless competition manifold and looks the mutts nutts too..

That's my main problem, its paper thin and I really need to sort it out, I keep getting leaks between the downpipe and the second section that joins to the cat.

I'd love a manifold like LR's but can't justify spending £580+ VAT on one, which is the current price!

Might take the Janspeed to a few local welding places/fabricators and see if they can copy it in SS for less than £500.....might be worth a shot.

Not necessarily after a flat torque curve, but if I can improve on it in some way then I'd like to.

I believe the ignition is done on the ECU, and the Apexi S-AFC only alters fueling, so I'm not getting the best out of it by just playing with that and not the ignition.

I'll get thinking :).

Can't really justify spending £600+ on a new manifold though, the whole car cost me less than that including boxed up parts (new suspension, still to go on, new sills, etc)!

any decent exhaust place would quote you alot less than £500 for a manifold.

i had a quote for a full tig welded stainless exhaust system including racing cat and special "twisted" silencer from turbo back for £400..... incliding fabricating time and fitting. now thats a bargain and a half.

Including manifold? Flipping eck thats cheap, bet I wouldn't see those prices down here!

Well I'm currently enquiring for quotes, so I'll keep people posted :)

hehe, i know. but im going turbo matt. plus yours are very expensive. unfortunately however much stock you have it is cheaper to import one from japan. but like i said, i have the HKS Log manifold for the GT25 Turbo kit.

thank you anyway..

Antony... Have you seen the exchange rate? Or considered the value money added benefits like Matts knowledge when buying from someone such as himself in the Uk?!! Not to mention his quality is better!!

no doubt. hes sorted me out with all my engine rebuild stuff. nice guy. but im not going n/a. not gonna have a bleeding car at this rate, no job and mounting debts and all. still, when i do get a job all the rest of my stuff will be sourced from matt.

just a quickie, would there be any problems or drawbacks from having an inlet manifold designed like a turbo exhaust manifold? or even a tubular design on both? and how would it effect a graph of the nature above?

now theres a question.

Back