bluey makes 80.4hp @ wheels!

dyno night last nite @ predator motorsport. well.. i've been wanting to take the little ****ter to the dyno for ages now.. mainly to see what power it makes before i bolt on my plenum/ tb and afm, and wack in a tune. we were expecting somewhere around the 70hp mark.. (big and heavy as **** 16'' wheels...) needless to say, myself and everyone that was there was pretty impressed at the result, especially with no tuning at all.. mods were:

impul extractors
nismo 2'' catback
hks pod filter
256/264 cams
stock flywheel/hd button clutch
16'' wheels
stock injectors
stock throttle body

emanage is on the car, however hasn't been touched with the laptop yet.. so is just running stock ecu parameters.. can't wait to throw some timing into it and sort out the wave of a afr ;P sounded really good to have an n/a car there on the dyno. smile's all round :) as you can probably tell from the graph, loves to rev + keep making power :) goes to show that the 256/264's are a great setup

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
that is ****ing sick man.... makes me appreciate not having a turbo... reckon you could put up a spec list.... im keen for some engine mods!!

true.. still a ****box... but people underestimate the handling edvantage and lightness cos its not a v6 twin turbo..

how much were the cams?? what brand?

tris

don't really know what other specs you want mate? its all pretty much there..

extractors
catback
hks pod
tomei 256intake cam
nismo n2 264 exhaust cam
and massive ally tubing cold air induction!

tomei cams can be had through perfect run or similar for around the 300 mark each.. so $600 for the pair.. though tomei only do 256's. nismo have stopped making the n2 race cams.. your only other alternative would be some uk gear, or mullholland/aspect through greenline.com, if people are on a tight budget, cams +extractors would be at the top of my list, makes it a totally different car, as many people on here already know... spose its worth a mention that the boys running the dyno were impressed.. when i backed it up i wasn't sure what to expect, the operator sorta stepped back from the car and gave it a glance over, and just said "**** yeh, id drive this" , must be doin something right considering there was plenty more powerful cars there to choose :p , makes it all worth it i guess, alot better attitude then some of the workshops we've been to anyway

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
just meant like brands n stuff thanks,

yeah.. well i got the extractors (still to put on when i get a muffler and some **** welded)

ill have a look round for some tomei cams.. but... **** duno how im guna get the other ones.... anyone selling any by any chance?? or know of somewhere to get them??

id be interested turbo to see what reading you get from another different dyno!! and some pics too!!

tris

and as luck would have it my new ignition leads turned up today.. ****in pissed they didn't come yesterday, apparently the best you can get, have some capacitator built in to the lead.. "nology hotwires by sun automotive" :D anyway, just to see it wasn't bull**** i tested how big the spark was with the stock lead, then with the hotwires.. **** yeh, around double the spark.. car feels heaps more lively down the bottom end.. and alot smoother allround.. downside.. there 30000Y plus postage, so about $400au for ****in ignition leads!

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
ahh k sick will do!!

haha nice induction!!! i had that at one stage... the air-con/exhaust fan duct material from bunnings!!! haha did it for a joke but decided to keep it for a while cos it made the impression in my head it was making a difference (when to be honest it realy didnt) but took it out for rego inspection..

CMF_tris

» CMF Member

Attachments

• 37482.jpg
    37482.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 26

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
jesus man congratulations on the figure, you have got to be happy with that! once ive got my new leads + induction im gona hop back on the dyno and see how i go

maat WROTE:

"jesus man congratulations on the figure, you have got to be happy with that! once ive got my new leads + induction im gona hop back on the dyno and see how i go

thanks mate!, really wasn't expecting it with the wheels after you made less then c'reds with more mods.. sumfin sus goin on there. what'd you make again? you got a graph? wouldn't mind comparing the curve.. so daniels car seemed to have a pretty big dip through the midrange with the 256's..

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
this is it, i was told the weight of the wheels doesnt affect the power figure on the dyno because the car is still making the same power figure at the same RPM its just that in a real driving situation the car has to work harder to spin the heavier wheels to get you going which affects preformance, and the smaller the diameter of the wheel the faster it accelerates and the higher the power figure reading on the dyno

Attachments

• 37492.jpg
    37492.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 34

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
and also i dont really go by dyno figures personally its how the car preforms when your in it driving it. by no means is my micra a fast car but it holds its own for what it is on the road and its alot quicker than it was when i brought it. and i think if we were to compare we should really head to the strip and get some time slips :)

i agree. i can't stress how great i reckon the 264exhaust cam is thou, i think my car would outperform gtrholics car before he went turbo, and he had sr20 tb/ga15 injectors, tuned emanage/tomei cams/lightened flywheel.. just going by seat of the pants measurements :),.. but his is a super s, and has a ****load more weight to pull around then i do. i'll be heading out to the strip after the next round of mods, looks like your car's running a bit lean in the top end imo, i didn't think wheel diameter would make a difference either, but everyone else is telling me it would?! something about not the overall diameter, but the weight? ****s me. so daniels old car is only about 5kw away.. but going for a drive in his car just goes to show how much difference weight can make, i'd need atleast 10kw more then it just to keep up :(

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
The only difference in the wheels as i have been told is the 16s your running will be slower getting off the line but better when your on the freeway, and the smaller wheels (13s) would jump the car off the line alot quicker.

Anybody that changes there wheels from a small rimed wheel to a larger wheel/tyre combo will almost always say "**** its slow off the mark now" not just because of the size but also because of the weight.

Let us no when your heading out next and i'll be there.
Was thinking about your result today,you've run the standard power (at the flywheel) at the wheels and some. Thats pretty good, mines gone the other way i recond id get smoked by a stocker.

Tony WROTE:

"The only difference in the wheels as i have been told is the 16s your running will be slower getting off the line but better when your on the freeway, and the smaller wheels (13s) would jump the car off the line alot quicker.<BR><BR>Anybody that changes there wheels from a small rimed wheel to a larger wheel/tyre combo will almost always say "**** its slow off the mark now" not just because of the size but also because of the weight.

that's exactly what i been telling everyone!.. i'm convinced now, anyone who says otherwise can go bash it :p

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
OH damn catching up...i cant relax for too much longer aye turbo...might have some competition very soon.

I love ur engine bay...looks very clean yet aggressive at the same time, must be those impul extractors....i want i want i want >_<

Well done and good result for the mods.

Looking forward to see how much u can get out of her for ur next step.

CMF_maat

» CMF Member
another thing holding mine back is the headers i have. the suck ass big time the first runner on cylinder #1 has been chopped to fit around the alternator and IMO is a bit restricting so ive decided im going to go all out, by removing everything bare the heater in the cabin and the 2 seats, new extractors and new light weight wheels

As for the rolling diameter and dyno figures the guys over here at cypher ind. told me they had a competition civic dyno car they used to go against other tuning places and see who could pull the biggest N/A figure and they said they tried the smaller diameter and were able to milk approx 3 more KW ATW on the dyno result with no other change

odysey battery.. dunno what type. under the seat mate
D1cefiro WROTE:

"OH damn catching up...i cant relax for too much longer aye turbo...might have some competition very soon.<BR><BR>I love ur engine bay...looks very clean yet aggressive at the same time, must be those impul extractors....i want i want i want &gt;_&lt;<BR><BR>Well done and good result for the mods.<BR><BR>Looking forward to see how much u can get out of her for ur next step.

hehe.. damn straight im catching up.. i still got my thinner then paper nismo headgasket up my sleeve incase you decide to try and beat my power figure :p, tah for the engine bay comment.. about the only part of any car i pay heaps of attention to.. my first step is always to get rid of as much wiring as i can.. you'll notice there's obviously no battery in the engine bay.. and no wiring at all up the gaurds, no fuse boxes either, all have been pissed of under the dash :) i want to hit a 100hp, i'll stop when i've got that :).. but i don't think it'll be easy.. 20hp in an n/a.. that's a pretty big effort

smidge

» CMF Member
where under the dash do you find space to hide them? do you cut and shorten and resolder the looms? any other reason apart from aesthetics?

just for aesthetics. yup/shorten/lengthen as required, all the headlight/fan etc wiring runs through the inner guards, as for the space under the dash, just wherever you can find space, you can fit it in there with/without ac. alot easier to do on a lx/slx then a super s..

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
damn.. wouldnt mind seeing a vid of the dyno run ay...

turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"odysey battery.. dunno what type. under the seat mate
D1cefiro WROTE:<BR><BR>"OH damn catching up...i cant relax for too much longer aye turbo...might have some competition very soon.<BR><BR>I love ur engine bay...looks very clean yet aggressive at the same time, must be those impul extractors....i want i want i want &gt;_&lt;<BR><BR>Well done and good result for the mods.<BR><BR>Looking forward to see how much u can get out of her for ur next step."</DIV><BR><BR>hehe.. damn straight im catching up.. i still got my thinner then paper nismo headgasket up my sleeve incase you decide to try and beat my power figure :p, tah for the engine bay comment.. about the only part of any car i pay heaps of attention to.. my first step is always to get rid of as much wiring as i can.. you'll notice there's obviously no battery in the engine bay.. and no wiring at all up the gaurds, no fuse boxes either, all have been pissed of under the dash :) i want to hit a 100hp, i'll stop when i've got that :).. but i don't think it'll be easy.. 20hp in an n/a.. that's a pretty big effort<BR>

im confused... is it good to have a thin gasket or a thick one?? i thought that a 1mm gasket made more power or something...

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
A 1mm gasket wouldn't make much difference since the stock gasket is 1.2mm. Gaskets usually come in 0.7mm and 0.5mm variety for those wanting a cheap way to increase compression slightly. Personally I would do it properly and run high compression pistons, as it's worth it in the long run.

100hp at the wheels isn't as hard as you may think, throttlebodies are the way forward. One guy in the UK managed 96.4hp@wheels with 256 tomei cams on standard compression.

We're running a full BTB 2" exhaust, induction setup, 773 cams, GA16 injectors and a remapped Nissan ecu. Last power run was just over 86hp at the wheels with fuelling sorted but still some more to squeeze out from the ignition timing.

You should be able to easily reach that figure if you sort the fuelling, (stock injectors are NOT big enough though), and especially the ignition.....there's at least 5hp available from some more advance. That's about the limit on stock compression and inlet plenum on a decent dyno, (I'm sure someone will boast higher figures but as we all know dyno's can vary wildly). From there on out increased compression is the way forward and getting rid of the stock inlet setup.

yup. that's stage 2 of the mods.. this is a very budget build up mate, i agree high comp pistons are the go, but cbf'd spending the money for basically the same result. the nismo gasket i have is 0.3mm :p, new intake plenum with sr throttle body/z32 afm ga15 injectors, sard fuel reg and a decent tune, i expect to get to 100hp without having to pull the head off.. but i'm sure when i'm bored, i'll pull the head of and get it ported/polished as much as can be aswell while i'm there.. but then the goal would have changed, and read something like, how much can i get out of an n/a with a stock bottom end!

tris, basically a thinner gasket then standard will give you a higher compression ratio, this = more power, the only reason you'd fit a thicker one then stock is to drop the compression ratio to be more boost friendly, allthough even with lower compression, the stock pistons will only take so much of a beating.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
wickid. Hmmmm i wanna do a NA screamer. Got a battle with a mate running a mini with a 1.3 in it. I have beaten him all three times around the track but he has done alot this time so should be interesting. Has anyine heard from the member making the upgraded intake plenums

sikK11 WROTE:

"wickid. Hmmmm i wanna do a NA screamer. Got a battle with a mate running a mini with a 1.3 in it. I have beaten him all three times around the track but he has done alot this time so should be interesting. Has anyine heard from the member making the upgraded intake plenums

? you talkin about me? lol, yeh, i'm makin em
... should be a couple of weeks before we get one onto a car.. two members on here have bought one so far, dunno if they want to be named, but yeh, one for me too(blue car), red car already has a full hectic proper bellmouth sheetmetal job

this is the pic mullholland have.. same thing, you'll be able to bolt on stock or sr t/b. i like to think mine will be a neater finish and at about half the price that they are selling. i previously said they'd be around 450-500, but now with the ability and extra cost of being able to bolt on the stock t/b.. (more exy because of cnc'd flange) the cost will be around the $550 mark, but i'll no more as soon as the 3 i'm doing atm are finished. haven't really bothered about putting em up for sale without any dyno proof to support it... that and the fact that i'm trying to run 2 different bussiness's,just had a baby and doing bits and pieces on cars here and there keeps me busy most of the time as it is :), but some people are just impatient (you know who you are :p) and want a good thing when the see it lol

Attachments

• 37544.jpg
    37544.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 34
sikK11 WROTE:

"they dont look to bad. Bit pricey though compared to yours. Be good to see dyno results. I got one of the flanges off you comeing so that will work yeah????

yeh mate, the throttle body adaptor with sr t/b will give you more power, yeh, they pricey from mullholland... but half of what your paying for from them is the name. mullholland sell em at about 80000Yen (about $800) plus shipping etc.. so at $550 its a bargain :)

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"yeh.. the stock one would jump the gun, but in the long run the 16' job should slowly creep past.. higher top speed

you guys with those monster truck 16" wheels could benefit from fitting the 4.4:1 crownwheel and pinion from a 1.0 late facelift

Back