Micra engine swap query?

Hello, I'm new to this forum, my daughter has a 2001 k12 micra 1.0 16v, the head gasket has gone and I've found a replacement engine for a good price.The thing is it's a K11 engine with the distributor, so my query is can I fit a K11 engine in place of the k12 engine, obviously I'd need the ECU as well but what else, I hope to hear from someone soon so I can get this car back on the road soon, thanks in advance. Donor engine is out of a T reg car and I've heard it running and it's as sweet as a nut £80, failing that is the cylinder head the same?

a 2001 will be a coilpack k11 calum, so you will need a (post 2000) coilpack engine :)
Hi Frank, is there no way I could use the other engine, I really don't want to be messing with it too much, I thought I could just bang the other engine in and job done. Any good links for head gasket sets and head bolts if I have to ?

i use ebay head gaskets personally calum, and re-use the bolts, you would have to plug the dizzy hole and fit the cam sensor sprocket and dowel the crank flange where it bolts to the flywheel

i use ebay head gaskets personally calum, and re-use the bolts, you would have to plug the dizzy hole and fit the cam sensor sprocket and dowel the crank flange where it bolts to the flywheel

Any how to guides regarding the dowel in the crank flange, Vw's are my forte but Nissan's are new to me,thanks for your help and advice so far Frank.

its just a 7th hole @ tdc basically mate, the bolts have a lot of clearance and rely on the centrebore and dowel for alignment :)
changing that sprocket is a mission tho !

P3080666.JPG

Last edited:
its just a 7th hole @ tdc basically mate, the bolts have a lot of clearance and rely on the centrebore and dowel for alignment :)

View attachment 28745

Has anyone on here done this so that I can have a look at it and decide what I'm going to do, I reckon it will be cheaper to use the other engine than to replace the head gasket on the original one. By the time you buy a head gasket set and get the head skimmed you're over £80 already, thanks for all your help so far Frank.

Has anyone on here done this so that I can have a look at it and decide what I'm going to do, I reckon it will be cheaper to use the other engine than to replace the head gasket on the original one. By the time you buy a head gasket set and get the head skimmed you're over £80 already, thanks for all your help so far Frank.

not that i know of calum, neil is going to drill and tap his sprocket http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/porks-bike-carbs-and-boost-project.52721/page-63 which is an option rather than remove the head to change the idler sprocket :)

Well..... on Sunday I spent a few hours pulling the cylinder head off and the head gasket is toast, the head looks fine but will be skimmed anyway just to make sure. I'll take the head to the garage tomorrow and they'll get it done for me.Number one cylinder was the one that was leaking confirmed by the shiny clean piston top.

Okay, the head is going to get skimmed on Friday £25...... great price, I just have to order the associated gaskets etc, would anyone have the torque settings for the head bolts, I'm using the old bolts again as advised by frank, Hopefully I'll get it all back together at the weekend....weather permitting, thanks in advance.

torque setting is a 3 stage jobbie calum (posted on here a few times) but i just pull them down then let the gasket compress for a while personally, then i slacken and re-torque each one in turn (1 full turn) :)

Back