sounding like a transit or black cab

hey all,my car(the purple hobit) has developed a strange rattle, i say rattle it's like a transit or black cab engine noise only not quite as loud, it happens when the engine is cold or warm!i hear it when stationary but cant hear it when driving though, this may be because of the road noise!? it's got 58k on the clock, r reg, cant think of what it is, wouldn't of thought it would be the chains with that kind of millage on the car, also wouldn't have thought it would sound like a black cab(only quieter!) if it was the chains! but i'm a novice hence asking for help, also got an m.o.t in a couple of weeks(perfect timing hey grr) so all help/ideas/advice welcome, cheers all.....

does it have any oil in the engine? does it do it with the clutch pressed in? when stationary, does the rattle/knocking increase with engine speed?

the engine has oil and is still clean, happens when the clutch is pressed and is hard to tell if it's happening when driving due to the noise around the car but i'd say no it's not happening when driving, topped up the antifreez/coolant the other day but the noise was there before, kind of sounds like someones put a loose nut in the engine, the car still drives fine....still baffled :glare:

I think mine sounds similar when I start it up, like a diesel. I'm servicing it hopefully this weekend, and I'm going to check the heat-shields as I think one of those is loose, although I think that's causing a different rattle and not the diesel sound!

Back