• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Me GF's new K11

Just recently purchase this little micra, needs a bit of TLC, but i am sure i will get there, I own a Nissan Primera GT, its just hit 200k miles, my GF has a Nissan Almera GTi, which is NeoVVL powered. But enough about them more about the Micra.

Got a few little issues with it, engine seems lumpy at idle sometimes and has stalled once, Engine management light is on, But i got a feeling its a MAF issue, when its disconnected when engine runs nothing happens, and same when connected, Working with the SR's i know DQing a MAF sends the engine a bit potty a bit.

I just fitted a new set of plugs i had spare laying about, the old ones were goosed. so i slapped a set of Bosch ones in there....Please if anyone knows of issues using Bosch super 4's let me know, I will just get a new set of NGK's for it,

If there is any other issues i should know thats common, would like to know.

anyways here is the pics

Image096.jpg

Image097.jpg

Image098.jpg

Image099.jpg

Image100.jpg

Image101.jpg

Image103.jpg

someone posted up that the coilpack engines only run properly with a certain plug type iirc chris, and the faulty mafs on those are pretty common (£35 on ebay i believe)

I only use NGK plugs in my engines. I've had too many issues with other brands, especially denso plugs, they seem to crack easily. :glare:

Yeah i only use NGK iridums on the SR engines, the plugs that were in it were goosed so its a quick fix the now before it goes right on the road.

Plans are really to tidy it up, having it run good, Might fit a little spoiler and get a nice little set of alloys for it....got a few little scratches so will get them tidied up. Our main cars arent gonna be used much during the winter so this little thing will do the trick.

I am gonna fit a new set of brakes to it, replace the fluid, give engine a good service, and have the whole underneath undersealed. should last a good few year.

Just one question, is it possible to get clocks with an RPM on it it?? and would it be a straight fit? bear in mind that its Coil Per Cylinder

I will put a fresh set of NGK's tomorrow, Want to get it all cleaned up and wheels whipped off tomorrow and have a look see if everything is ok.

@Sjackson - Yeah we were through seeing family, Off for its remap on monday in Horsham, had a lot of time and money spent on it, this Micra is a perfect little run about for a good few year.,

Not been on for a few days, little Micra has been in our garage as prep work had been done to our N15 and we had it mapped. Unfortunatly it didnt give as much power as we expected, but its been a long story with the engine so seems the person we got it from gave more lies. Anyways the engine did manage 180BHP @ 7200, redlin is 8200. So not too bad.

Anyhoo on to the micra.

Tonight we are ordering a new MAF for it, at first the GF said no mods to it but she is like me, cant help herself so she reckons a nice little set of alloys for it will see it all right, perhaps a nice little boot spoiler and the scratch on the side repaired.

We will need to sit down and have a plan of action for it but will keep ya updated.

I got a set of NGK Iridums sitting here for it, they are used but not worn, i will have them popped in. Next will be a complete fluid change and i have some pipe here might make a custom made induction kit for it.

I got a set of NGK Iridums sitting here for it, they are used but not worn, i will have them popped in. Next will be a complete fluid change and i have some pipe here might make a custom made induction kit for it.

Induction Kit,
Alloys,
Coilovers? lol this is where it begins! (Y)
Good luck!

New tools have been ordered, new set of 5 sided torx to get the MAF off.

I plugged up the Micra to the Laptop yesterday, the MAF is giving intermitant readings, when the readings are all showing 0 thats when the management light comes on and the error core P0100 confirms its a MAF issue,

We have another MAF sitting here ready to be fitted. Just waiting on the tools.

Okay so i tried another MAF in there and engine wouldnt run worth a damn, It was giving MAF readings but the engine seriously lacked pulling power. I put the old one back in and the power was there, Just intermitantly plays up. We will order a brand new one me thinks.

The Mafs both fitted but looked slightly different. The one we fitted was a Bosch one and like i said it seriously made the car run like crap. Put the old one in which hardly had any markings and the engine ran perfectly fine....Infact i just had an idea and thats take the sensor off the Bosch one and solder it onto the non bosch one, This may fix ther issue...so watch this space.

As for the clocks, I assume the SR model is a k12??? and some say its a straight fit?

You can find clocks with rev meter on Sport, Sport+, certain SE models and SE+ models post 2000. Those are the only ones I know of. Looks like it could be a nice Micra after some TLC.

I will need to dig around some scrap yards then for the clocks

Anyways The Micra (the GF affectionally called it Molly) is now on the road. Car was taken for a clean, there was green fungus in all the little nooks and cranny's of the car. thats all been cleaned off also.

We have done around 500 miles in the car. I did't bother repairing the old MAF, i just ordered a new one and awaiting it coming. Called Nissan and local factors and was surprised that they wanted Stupid amount of Money for one. Anyways i dont grude £30 for a brand new Bosch one.

We are still to get some new wheels for the car, Hopefully a nice set of 13" one's will come up shortly.

I checked all the mechanics of the car before it went in the road. Front looks fine although the Passenger side Wishbone, link rod, drive shaft and shock absorber has all been replaced. this will explain the dent on the Wing its had a little bump. Not that I am worried about it, as all the mechanics have been replaced. Could do with a new set of pads in a few thousand miles but thats nothing to worry about the now. Easy fix. Engine needs an oil change so thats on my to do list. I also still to fit a set of NGK Grady 5 Iridium spark plugs to it.

I have been starting to look at the potential of engine conversion the Micra, I am 23 Stone so you can imagine a 1 litre is pretty slow for me. The GF is moaning about it also. I am contemplating a QG16 or QG18 engine for it, Not made my desicion yet unless i can find a way to unlock some power out of this engine. I will need to have a good research on the CG engine.

As far as bodywork goes, The car is in pretty OK condition, The rear drivers sill is a bit rotted. I managed to poke a hole in it with my finger. So that will need to be welded up. We did get a quote to fix the scratch, Dents and chips and including the welding, £200 all in, So we might just slap the extra and get it all done.

Anyways here is some new pics after a clean.

16112010035.jpg

16112010036.jpg

16112010037.jpg

16112010038.jpg

16112010039.jpg

16112010040.jpg

16112010041.jpg

The reason for the steelies is because the fronts are 14" and the rears 13", so a nice set of alloys are needed.

Today the car went for its MOT and passed with flying colours, other than an advisory for a slightly warped front disk...which i had a suspicion.

I fitted the new MAF to it, and it solved all the problems, engine runs smooth and getting good mileage out of it now. We have decided like our other Nissans to run it on V-Power, I notice that i also get better mileage from V-Power than normal unleaded.

I fitted a brand new set of NGK plugs, engine feels so much more responsive and got a little more power in it.

Tonight i had the opertunity to test drive the Micra for what its main purpose was, A Daily and mostly over the Winter, We have been hit with snow so i went out on it, Seen plenty Merc's and what not on the road getting stuck, and i must say the Micra is impressive, Was very grippy, handled well so i was impressed.....I also love it as it doesnt have ABS (Dont like ABS)

I also decided to try and have a bit fun....i went to a private car park that was empty, so i done a few figure 8's....handles very well....so i know if i get in to trouble i have a better chance of getting out of it, Driving the Primera last year was a nighmare as it was heavy car and wider tyres....

So the Micra has certainly impressed me :)

believe me people have had more expensive power full cars and still respect the micra's when they have em for a while to drive
BIG little cars they are,they earn the respect

big in the heart and a soppy little kid on the outside :p isnt that right keep up the work! how did you manage to get odd wheel sizes? lol

Hi there.

New to the forum - just been reading about your replacement MAF and was wondering if you could help me. I am a girl, so be gentle with me :wasntme:

I've got a late 2000 1.0S Micra; earlier this year the Engine Management light came on - got the error code P0171 "bank 1 fuel system too lean". Thought it was MAF related, but had front 02 sensor replaced as a possible cheaper alternative - didn't help! Over time the performance deteriorated massively. A friend of mine had read about the possible soldering repair and removed the MAF from the throttle body but then realised that it was the post July (?) version and slightly different to the one that could be fixed by soldering. Anyway, he took it apart and soldered it anyway! It helped in terms of performance but the engine was then prone to stalling at low revs. Error code after this was P100. Decided to get a "new" MAF from eBay, and another friend fitted it for me. Performance has improved but it's still not right at all and the Engine Managment light is on constantly. It's also really heavy on fuel.

I know that the original MAF sensor was Bosch but the one I got from eBay was just a no-name one. Can I ask where you got the replacement Bosch MAF from? I wonder if it might be worth getting a Bosch one and trying that.

Would be grateful for any help or advice.

I know that the original MAF sensor was Bosch but the one I got from eBay was just a no-name one. Can I ask where you got the replacement Bosch MAF from? I wonder if it might be worth getting a Bosch one and trying that.

Would be grateful for any help or advice.

Snap. Seems to be a very common issue this, been having on and off problems with P0171 for some time. O2 sensor was changed, no joy. After eventually finding a replacement MAF after having some wrong ones sent the car quickly threw up a problem with the air temperature sensor on the MAF. Hopefully it was just dead out of the box and a new one is on the way. Be nice to know where to source a Bosch one that these cars respond well to rather than no-name branded ones though!

Pleased to hear the Micra is performing well in the wintery conditions for you TheStig. (Y)

Okay sorry i have not been on for a while.

first off, the wheels are wrong size becuase when i got the car, 2 of the tyres were bald badly, so i used an alternitive, its not a big issue but keeps it on the road.

The isse with Fuel Trim System too lean is a pain in the arse, to be honest, but i think its a bad connection somewhere, for a while it got worse, started to run rough at idle and still occasionally does it. seems to be a right PITA when cold.

We went over a pot hole when the light was on, was a bad pothole but never damaged anything, but about 30 seconds after hitting the pot hole the bloody engine management light went off and engine restored its power. so i am thinking its a loose connection somewhere,

Anyways another few months when the n15 goes back on the road, i am going to look to strip off the intake manifold, clean it, new gaskets, and might solder a new MAF plug on there also, and see if that makes any difference.

The micra has been outstanding despite its little issues, over the winter,

I used to laugh at the little micra's, do to there sad wee looks, but owning one now, i have the last laugh, its a reliable little motor,

my GF wont let me shove a T28 on it though lol

Okay, so I decided to give Molly the Micra (GF's pet name for the car) some TLC, as my Primera and her Almera has had some TLC. The bodywork had the odd clean but was never done perfectly. So we decided I would get fired in and make it look half decent again. So i got out the nice Meguiars Clay Kit and some good ole fashioned Auto Glym. Here is the results.

This was it just before its wash!

07032011244.jpg

07032011245.jpg

07032011246.jpg

07032011247.jpg

07032011248.jpg

Just after a wash, check out the tar on the wing:

07032011249.jpg

07032011250.jpg

thats the wing done with the Meguiars Clay kit, look at the difference between the Door and the Wing!

07032011251.jpg

This is the door done:

07032011252.jpg

I gave the car another rinse as it had a lot of streaks and dripping mud so i gave it a good hose down again.

07032011253.jpg

07032011254.jpg

07032011255.jpg

And after a good old polish using Auto Glym this was the result - Her skin is nice and smooth!!

07032011270.jpg

07032011271.jpg

07032011272.jpg

07032011273.jpg

07032011274.jpg

I also gave the engine bay a spray down, but forgot to take pictures, Its still to be degreased and cleaned under there. We also need to get some new wheels for it, i hammerited the rear ones to make it match a little but the still look stupid.

Nice job! Should maybe look at that Meguiar's clay kit, mine could do with some tar removal on top of the usual Autoglym wash. Can you get it in Halfords or just order it from somewhere? (Y)

By the way, about the fuel system lean thing - have you looked at your vacuum pipes? I also don't think the ebay MAFs do any good, I'm considering going to look for a similar car in scrappies and trying out MAF from that.

I got the clay kit from Halfrauds, was £25, what i find though its best using plain water with the clay, tends to work better than the was mist stuff you get.

I checked all vaacuum pipes on the micra and all are ok, there is a device on the back of the throttle body (made by bosch i think) that gets really hot and makes funny noises, i got a funny idea its that. I am gonna grab another one from a scrap yard and see what happens.

Yeah there are two types of Bosch throttle body, water and air cooled - there are some pipes on the water cooled one. It might be if it's running really hot, best of luck with it (Y)

Back