Me and my new mate, Smeg.

Howdy folks. First post here, so been doing a bit of reading and thought i'd introduce myself and Smeg.

Firstly, Smeg because it looks and drives like a Fridge. I'll work on a picture, but i'll explain...

Basically imagine dulled white piantwork, hints of unknown floral matter and some notorious porous red/brown flaky bits.

Drives like a fridge because (up until last night) it had flat tyres, and i'm still not sure who or what is hammering the wheel arch when i turn full lock left. I'm guessing possibly a CV joint, or bush etc. Shouldn't rule out a small mammal though...alive or dead.

Can't complain, only cost me £70 though. So anyway...

I needed a work car. My Mazda 6 just isn't a commuter and i've just started a fair drive due to a new job. That's where the Micra comes in. Don't mind spending a little money on it either, it's just such a loveable car!

Here's the plans:
Fix Rust - That's the main objective i suppose lol. Rust under both mirrors, inner bonnet lip, and an unholy hole in the sill.
Fix Body Panels - Turns out Joyriders are rather careless. I mean if they're borrowing the car they could at least be careful with it.
Stripped Interior - 2 Bucket Seats & Matt Dashboard, Aftermarket Steering Wheel.
Aftermarket Rev Counter - Have you seen how expensive these are!? Want a large one but can only see the 52mm ones. Feel free to suggest some procurement, and i'll be back for advice on fitting when the time comes.
Respray - In white. Just see what I have lying around.
Racey Wheels - Team Dynamics or O.Z. straight spoke, touring car sort of thing. It's just my taste, sue me lol!
Engine - Well it's meant to be economical, so not a great deal here. Really need to give it a clean though. Full service though and maybe a K&N. Possibly a battery relocation. Might do something to the exhaust. Ideally i'd like to have it coming out the front bumper O/S. Need to check the logistics of this, otherise i'll come up with something daft in it's place.
Suspension and Brakes - I'll snoop into the Almera/Primera swap. Don't see any how to guides though and i'm an idiot so maybe not who knows. Definitely needs some stiffer springs too.

So far interior is all out and the first brown patches have been sanded down etc.

Well I doub't anyone's still reading this so i'll bow out quietly. Back with updates after the weekend.

Rev.

Sounds good, got any pics? and welcome along, i have only been here a short time but been offered some good advice from other members so i'm sure you'll find it useful.

Matt

Welcome and some good plans..... as far as I'm aware the almera/ primers suspension won't fit

Sorry dude, meant the brake conversion. Probably go with springs and dampers just for suspension. Not coilovers though. I value the internal structure of my skeleton.

you cannot recieve PM's but..

lol, right well i am stripping my car, a super S. i have takata harness, nismo guages, flocked dash, brand new brakes, SR alloys, Brand new doors with bonded in plastic windows. Genuine BLITZ backbox, pulsar billet alloy quickshift. and probebly some other stuff ive forgotten about..lol
anything you want?

So i've spend most of the weekend so far grinding down all the rust. Etch primed the areas until its ready for paint. Stilll have my sills to do, and a bit of welding. Probably get that cleared up and a patch cut tomorrow, then weld Monday. All being well. Found some webspace for the old pictographs so i'll do that tomorrow.

Need to investigate the clunking on Turning left and right full lock. Seems to be as bad both direction. Any initial thoughts? CV/Track Rod/Bushes? It's regular, increasing with speed. That said i can only do 5mph in my yard. I'll have a look,, just want some inital thoughts.

Any other MOT worries i should be checking? More so mechanically than rust etc. That's the next thing after it's sprayed. Our MOT waiting lists in Northern Ireland are horrific at the moment so i'll probably need to be booking that anytime now.

Eugh so much to do...just wish i could drive it now!

Back