Lower crossmember- do you "need" to weld it?

Thinking of doing my lower crossmember myself, but I've no welding gear (or welding skill for that matter).

Got a replacement crossmember, and read the guide on replacing (albeit that the pics have all dissappeared from that guide), but what I really want to know is- do I absolutely have to weld the new one on, or will the bolts suffice?

Failing that, would a few blobs of cold steel epoxy serve as an alternative to spot welding it?

Hmmmm- so if it feels secure and looks the part then it's a go?...
Worth a punt I suppose- once I've got the spot welds off and the new x-member bolted up I suppose I could stick a number plate in the window and whizz it down the road to get tacked on if the steel epoxy doesn't look up to the job?

I'm going to be trying some of this cold weld on a backbox that I intend to hack to bits, so I guess if it can withstand being used on an exhaust it should be ok for the crossmember?......

Existing bolt fixings can facilitate location to assist welding in place to MOT standard.

Steel epoxy is a red herring hodgepodge waste of time that will obstruct and make the welding task more difficult. :oops::rolleyes:

Leave it to be a competent MOT welder to do it right first time. ;)

I bolted mine on and then gave it a nice thick coat of waxoyl .... never been an issue with the MOT man and easier to replace next time it rots.
What is surprising is just how flimsy the section is.

Back