Unpick and weld Crossmember to another car

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,

I cant weld, I dont have a welder and never unpicked something.

Wondering if anyone has a spare day to do so? I can pay you in beer, cash or carparts for your micra.

I have a wreck with a good cross member and want to remove it ($150 to get from the U.K so not worth it if I have one) and need to unpick it (or get someone who can) and weld it onto my other car which has rust in the X member.

Anyone keen to give it a go? You'll need to bring a welder ;)

I can work out how to unpick things just no idea on welding or cash to pay for a welder.

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
nope i didn't even notice. I figured it must of had an issue as the grill sagged a little but never wanted to look lol. Im now removing the exhaust and noticed it. Couldn't get my finger through but its well rusted enough to flake off. Other car is perfect but has slightly been mangled which ill just chop off. If only i didn't notice it until it **** itself. Damn!

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
this bit .. the bumper hangers are separate and are put on after the cross member .. hope the picture gives people a idea of the job involved

Attachments

• 56016.jpg
    56016.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 34

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Lower Cross member. Rad support.

Does the xover just bolt to the chassis or is it welded also? I know the bumper supports are welded.

CMF_DECIM8

» CMF Member
Sydney sadly. Miles from you. lol Thanks anyways. Looks like the donor car is a little smashed. Prob have to order one. Oh well Nissan will like me.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
yeah, a bit far.
i used to do rust repairs so coulda helped even tho i'm more used to working on monaro's mustangs falcons and similar :eek:)

if the other panel is a little damaged you could possibly hammer it straight, dunno cos i haven't had a close look at my car to see how the panel is put together.

when you do swap it try to bolt or weld temporary bracing on and take some measurements from a few different points to make sure the front end stays as straight as poss.

when you take the panel off your car use the edge of a grinding disc to grind thru the spot welds if you can, it destroys the panel but you've got a much better chance of preserving the metal underneath.
then the donor car use a drill bit a little bigger than the spot welds and drill straight thru... you don't have to worry bout the metal underneath the panel and it gives you clean holes to plug weld thru.

if you can get hold of/ want to spend a few extra $ i highly recommend painting the surfaces that'll be overlapped and welded with POR-15 or KBS Coatings (POR-15 equivalent made in oz) to prevent or slow down rust.

Back