35mm ? How to go lower ?

Hello everyone !

Just new to the forum. My name is Sven I'm from the Netherlands. I got a micra 1985 k10 today for temporary use(6-12 months). It's standard and really needs some things done.

I don't wan't to offend any purists or anything. But i want the micra as low as possible. I have very rare retro 13" alloy rims from 70's (look a lot like brm's you see on old bugs) Paint it primer look, so no shine, black or grey, not sure yet. Put pluche or zebra print on the dash. Maybe fit an rusy old roofrack. To get the nice retro look.

I found springs but they dont go lower than 35mm. That ain't enoug :p

What to do ? Special shocks and such isn't really an option.. ($$) (althoug if you know a cheap set let me know) MOT is next year and its a bit of a fun project so actual handling and performance isn't really an issue.

Thinking about cutting the springs, but I red so many stories about how dangerous that is. That they can pop out if you hit a bump and such... cant i weld them so they can't pop out ? Maybe springs from another brand car ?

Hope someone knows a way to drop it!

Grtz,
Sven

a 35mm drop will improve the handling greatly esp if you replace all the shocks at the same time. 40mm drop springs are available also from various companies. it is possible to get coil over kits for the k10 as well but tbh they will usually cost twice what the cars worth lol.

you can also get some companies to make you custom springs and drop it further but in my experience 40mm is more than enough :)

the springs wont fall out because the k10 uses mc pherson struts all round.

Ryan.

a 35mm drop will improve the handling greatly esp if you replace all the shocks at the same time. 40mm drop springs are available also from various companies. it is possible to get coil over kits for the k10 as well but tbh they will usually cost twice what the cars worth lol.

you can also get some companies to make you custom springs and drop it further but in my experience 40mm is more than enough :)

I searched google and various tuning sites but no luck finding the 40mm. Could you give me a link or a brand name to search for ?

Coil over kits are indeed way to expensive for a temporary fun project. The car cost me about 80 pounds.

Handling isn't a real issue either, driveble is good enough. Like i said its more for fun and the looks. I not gonna race it.

the springs wont fall out because the k10 uses mc pherson struts all round.

Ryan.

Does this mean I can just cut the springs and still have a rather safe car ?

Handling is not my concern, I just don’t want it to jump out of a bend or anything because a spring pops out.

Only 'bad' thing about cutting springs is that the heat caused by cutting them can change the spring tension.

Ryan.

Post a pic of your car cos it sounds so cool!

This is how i bought it yesterday:

micra-marktplaats.jpg

These are the rims:

Afb.031.jpg

Quick photoshop for possible result:

micrashop.jpg

Back