looking for sound advice by micra owners who have fixed a timing chain problem

i have just purchased a p reg 1litre micra and ordered a throttle body for it.

i have noticed a slight tiny wee noise from the chain and yes its defo the chain, its only on start up and occasionally when goin round corners but seems to drive perfectly.

is there a quick fix to this before it gets worse.

or has anyone been drivin there car like this for years with no problems.

i have ordered the throttle body but now im thinking it could be the chain throwing out the ignition timing.

please help.

thanx

Mate I have an issue with my chain too rattles away at times. It has got a lil louder over the past year but hasn't gotten any worse lately. Most people will say it's a minor problem and a common one at that. Mine is also a P reg 1 litre.

aitchie, the only way to asess your chain condition is to take the side cover off (1/2hr job) and check the tensioner throw.
my old super s top chain had one link hanging by a thread at 100k (thrashed) miles, and was very noisy on tickover, the lower chain was still ok after 132k miles :)

ave been told the timing chain can be an issue when starting the car, kinda the same symptoms as the throttle body fault and it was the RAC that told me this, only ever owned 2 micras so dnt know much about them as ma other 1 was 3 years old and sold it a year later, is there a way to stop this slight noise, takein a link out or is there a way to adjust the tensioners etc frank.

the oil is a bit gunky so im gonna flush the engine out and see if a bit castrol helps, getting a new throttle body shortly as i attempted the resolder job and made no difference, looks a simple change over job tho.

this may sound daft but is the side cover encased in black to the left of the engine near the oil top up, is it a simple job, whats involved.

cheers

thats the k12,s that run rough when the (single) chain is stretched aitchie, mine ran ok when it was hanging off, and yes the flat cover on the offside (its easier if you remove the ally mount first) if you dont turn the engine backwards, the tensioner will still be full of oil :)

so is mine a k11, i take it the k11 is better than the k12 and is k12 2003 onwards ?

yes, the early k12,s were plagued with a chainstretch problem :suspect: and the cam sensor conflicted with the crank sensor (not applicable to ours :))

cool, still got the throttle body problem tho, gonna attempt it myself when it arrives it looks a simple enough job.

so can you give me some links or can you tell me if there are ways to adjust tensioners, ave heard that nissan actually know how to do thus but weither or not they are willing to admit they know this quick fix is another story outside the £800 replacement of timing chain, tensioners etc.

yeah my garage told me £800 to get this problem fixed because you have to take the top and bottom of the engine out or something, not sure if he tried to waffle me off because he didn't want to do it though.

i changed ma throttle body today made a wee bit of a difference but hat to put the accelerator cable tight ish, seems to help on the starting, still a good 2 or 3 turns of the key to get the car started, if i have the cable slack it struggles to start, im im baffled is this normal on these cars or could someone els tell me wot els i should be checkin, there is a slight tiny ruff noise comin from the starter, any advice please

duff battery maybe starter on the way out

there is no quick fix on a chain and dont remove links because it will cause damage it will also cause damage if left, either do it yourself or put another engine in byt he way they all sound like sewing machines :grinning:

I don't think my chain is at much of an issue as yours. My car starts first time as well. It just has a slight rattle when I rev then let it go some times. Or if i'm iddle for a few seconds it will often give off a rattle.

hi tryme, ma chain only slightly rattles, i was just wondering if this was normal, its mostly when cold or low revs but its only slight and hardly noticeable, its more my starting issue i have a problem with and its not a throttle body or plugs,

matt the starter seems to turn fine, i have herd somrthing about some sort of sensor or upgraded wiring loom, can anyone shed light on this and possibly have links for these upgrades.

thanx

well i work for nissan and i havent heard anything about that fella a chain is a chain and when it is worn it is worn it a very simple engine

Back