possible timing chain??

hi all.
i purchased a 2004 micra 1.0 k12 engine the other day.
cheap as idling problem!!
doing abit of research im suspecting timing chain but would like opinions.
1) idles rough and oftern cuts out.
2) has refused to pick up revs to move off (as i found out at a t-juntion in the middle of the road)
3) jumping rev counter.
4) kangarooing when thring to go a constant speed.
i have looked at the tentioner as ive seen on many advice pages and it looks to be around the 10mm mark maybe a slight bit more!
so from this would everyone be 100% confident that camchain causing this issue?
if so i may go slap the seller as he claimed chain was done 6k miles ago.
was a trade sale so cant bitch too much and it was cheap :)
on the subject of timing chains is there any how to guides floating about?
im a very competent mechanic but never delt with k12 engines before other than service ect so would be handy to know timing marks etc before i start.
thanks in advance for any advice recived.

I should mention the car has fault code p0444! Is this related?
Double checked the tentioner and seams to definitely be around 10mm were as everyone else with these problems stating 20+mm on tentioner.
Could there be a different problem? E.g cam position sensor? Crank sensor? Throttle body? That will cause the same problems? Did also read about 2nd lamba sensor??

Ok I thought I would check the timing 1st (free job)
I got the crank at TDC checked with marks on pulley and screwdriver in spark plug hole.
Anyway hopefully attached it camshaft positions at TDC. Now I can clearly see the exhaust cam is possible 1-2 teeth out however how is the inlet looking? Easier if they had proper timing marks.
Also my chain has no gold links so unable to check them.
Let me know if you think the inlet looks out or ok?
Suprised car actually runs reasonably well just idling issue!

Attachments

• 20140607_142738.jpg
    20140607_142738.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13,581
here,s where the lobes on cyls 2 and 3 point on the CG engine lee (@tdc#1) pointing at the outer edge of the inner cap bolts, your CR exhaust should be very similar, but your inlet will depend on the vtec sprocket position eh :)

as cam.JPG

Now that was a reply hitting the nail on the head. Exactly what I was looking for. Taken a screen shot (on my phone) and will be using as a reference monday for adjusting this mess!
Just another quick question, the tensioner is below the VVT am I able to remove the VVT and remove tensioner from top of engine? As seams a huge effort to pull engine just to adjust the timing.
Many thanks

i,ve never worked on a CR i,m afraid lee, but i think you have to be careful not to break the internal mechanism inside the inlet pulley tho,
and the GA16 pdf workshop manual has the details about under what conditions that the vtec kicks in and out (throttle position/rpm etc)
i dont think the actual chain was the problem personally, 10 mm of extension is bugger all on such a long chain.
its just the ecu sync parameters between the cam and crank sensors that were too tight (inducing the errors)
one member shifted the cam sensor and got another couple of years motoring iirc, and the chain still did,nt rattle @ 20mm extension

Had a look at my timing compaired to the photo you provided. Seams my inlet is correct and only exhaust is out of time.
Car runs good considering however slightly worried about any valve damage. Anyone know if this amount would cause valve damage?

Attachments

• 20140609_101050.jpg
    20140609_101050.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1,176
Hiya all just a update.
Cars problem solved now. Exhaust cam was 2 teeth out. Readjusted timing and all is good in the world again! Well gotta reset vvt but no more stalling or other problems so seams to of had a cowboy mechanic change timing chain! Lol

Back