timing chain question

Hi all,

hope xmas was good for u guys, bring on the new year!...

u know with these noisy timing chains, as many of you have them i've been reading what you all do about it etc.

am i sensible in deciding not to bother with it and if it goes snap, to just replace the head (engine at worse)...

i only paid 550 for the car, clutch will be done this week, and tyres quite soon i'd say, if it passes the mot, i may treat it to either a exchange throttle body or a new chain, can't think of anything else it need really, it's not really complaining now except the clutch, but it's still hanging on for dear life for me, gotta love these micras

finally does driving the engine in 'spirited' manner increase the chances of a snap or could the forces stretch it out and line it up for better stability hence less chance of snapping? (theoretically thinking,)

Thanks,
Deian

hi deian

the chain will last longer if you dont thrash it imo, and it,s only a 1/2hr job to inspect it (when i checked my old super s top chain, 1 link was hanging by a thread and would have let go in a matter of days :glare:)

timing chains are a biatcha of a job to do.... best thing to do, get a kit off ebay.....throw the top tensioner away and order a nissan one for it.

lift off the rocker cover, prop the engine up with a jack. remove the front left hand (drivers) engine mount. remove main pulley, remove water pump remove the sump (you will need the exhaust and bottom engine mounting brace off for this) and oil pump cover (mainly the whole side of the engine)

whilst this cover is off cut off the little lug that sticks out at the top of the cover.. (trust me it will make the job a million times easier later on)

now, remove the top tensioner using the 2x 10mm bolts that hold it on and check the extension of it. if it has two huge groves in it and has extended all the way out, its time for a new top chain..

check the bottom one in the same way (allthough i just changed the top one and all the tensioners and guides)

make sure the engine has cylinder 1 at top dead centre (either on the main pulley you just removed or with a long screwdriver through the spark plug hole in cylinder 1)

remove the top pulleys off the cams and the idler gear off the head. the top chain should now just fall off and be hung on the guide on the right hand side of the head, remove this using a suitable allen key.

as the idler has both top and bottom chains on it the bottom one should now be slack and able to be removed..

inspect everything, all new pulleys will come with your kit but you will still need to make sure they are going in the right place.

the fitting is pretty much the reverse of the removal..lol just you need to make sure that the cams are set in the correct orientation (using the little coloured links on the chain)

bobs your uncle...lol

nearly, mine took me a week..lol

a week! that makes my clutch job seem like a spark plug change, lets see how she does in the mot before i plough too much money on her

thanks for the tips,

p.s i do have an uncle bob, maybe it will bring me luck!

nissan quoted me 2 days and £900 for a timing chain..... considering an engine is £100 and a day to fit..lol

Back