Looking to buy - but do all micras have a chain/mechanical sound?

im after buying a 1 litre micra asap for a daily driver and have seen a few already, although 3 out of the 4 ive seen have a strange mechanical/chain sound? i was told that a lot of micras have this with age and that its the timing chain, is this right?

Also, what other things are worth looking out for on these particular cars?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, if it is moved can a mod let me know where its moved to please.

thanks

Check the cills on both sides, inner and outer. Just run your hand along the bottom of the cills from front to back to feel for any holes or weld patches. With the inner cill, just stick your hand around the back of the 7inch section of cill in front of the rear wheels and again check for holes, patches or heavey corrosion. If these are all good and it runs sweet then it's a good one.

The cam chain should NOT rattle badly or continuously, sometimes if they have been stood for a week they may rattle just after starting for 1 or 2 seconds. Any longer than that and the engine may be very low on oil, or the chain tentioners are worn. In any case if they rattle like that then don't touch them, walk away and look at another one. It's an expensive job to buy chain and tentioner kits. And if you're wanting a daily driver then you won't want to have to start messing around with a bad one just to get it running right when you can just get a good one to start with. (Y)
As for the age thing; my friend has a 93' 1.0L "L" 4-door, it has over 160,000 miles on the clock and it's all origional under the hood, even the chains and tentioners have never been changed. Aside from a floppy gear-stick and a noisy thrust bearing it runs lovely. So i think the "it happends to all of em with age" thing is a myth.
Good luck, hope you find a gem out there. (Y)

Another thing worth checking is the front xmember. Its the bar just behind the front bumper. Its not on the mot unless the car has powersteering if i remember correctly. Anywho its prone to rust, and badly. If the rest of the car is sound, then get the dealer to change it before you buy it. Other than that do the above :) hope you get one soon :)

thanks for the replys thats helped me get a better idea of what to look for!

like i said, that rattle i heard has been a continuous noise has been on 3 out of 4 micras ive seen, are these all not worth looking at then?

took one for a test drive last night along a by pass...my god it was slow and has so much body roll!! lol

Its not on the mot unless the car has powersteering if i remember correctly.

fwnHow does that make sense??? Front cross member will fail if its rusting (its structural to the vehicle) PAS or no PAS.

I have 2 micras. 1 is on 172,000 barely makes a sound, the other is just over a 100k and ive just had to renew the timing chain. Its just something that happens randomly I suppose but yer look for one without a rattle preferably. (Y)

Lowering springs and some dampening will stop that body roll.

I know you answered my question :p just wondered why a lot of them had that noise! well if its a random thing then I'll just have to keep an ear out for a good one!

by the way, how much would a new timing chain set me back in case I do have to change it in the future?

I was quoted £80 for the top chain and top tentioner kit, then £65 for the bottom chain and tentioner kit. So i just got a few tentioners from the scrappies. Labour, you're looking at £150 so it would have cost me £295 if i hadn't gone to the scrappies. If you get a micra that doesn't need it's chains changing then don't mess with it. As long as a k11 is running fine just drive it and service it and it will run forever.

just wondered why a lot of them had that noise
Maybe lack of servicing.My old engine had done 85k & was noisy but I still could not break it..
& even the 1.0 litres are a spirited ride if you thrash the nuts of of them.Might be an idea to do something about the suspension first tho lol they are scary around bends as standard.
How much you spending,there's a lovely black Super S on E Bay crying out for it..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-NISSAN-M...9068632?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item41529fa5d8

Back