k12 1.0 not starting after timing chain replacement

Hi all new to this forum, joined mainly for some advice on a car that ive been working on, neighbours micra had rough running issues, diagnostics pointed to chain stretch with from what ive read is fairly common on cars of its age, (53 plate) so as i class myself as mechanically competant i offered to do the work, I started on tuesday got the engine out and tore it down the tensioner was out by just over 20mm so straight away chain stretch was confirmed, I had a friend of mine get me some technical data relating to timing the engine up with the VVT system. so i ensured i had cylinder one TDC and chain links lined up then removed old chain fitted all new guides and new chain with new tensioner once all was in place i used compressed air to disengage pin in the vvt pulley, got a nice audible click so "happy days" i thought. continued with rebuild got all built back up covers and sumps sealed engine and box back in, everything connected up, car turns over but will not fire up, attempted to tow start it which didnt work, checked for spark and only cylinder 3 and 4 seem to spark also checked fuel rail and when the car is initially turned over there is a small spurt of fuel but nothing else (i expected a pulsing constant spray from injectors.

I proceeded to strip back down and double check timing and made sure the vvt was in most advance position what i was a little confused about is when you move cam to most advanced position should the pin re engage? or stay disengaged as whilst disengaged the sprocket can just spring back to its original position then lock again

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as ive spent 5 days on the car and its getting beyond a joke to be honest i just want it done so i can get back to my regular work :-(

Cheers in advance

Dan

Back