K11 rear coilover, reinforcement needed?

Hi guys,

When fitting rear coilovers is it worth beefing up the strut top and/or the axle mount ?

I've seen a few pic's of the coilover erupting though the rear turret, the bodywork around mine is fine but i thought id ask.

Skins

'The advice' is to reinforce the axle as the mounts are only designed to take damping forces. Iv not heard anything about beefing up rear turrets but it doesn't sound like a bad idea, are you going to be drilling new holes or are the coil overs a single shaft still? could look into laser cutting some new plates with mounting holes and stuff? Very simple to CAD up, it you wanted you could give me dimentions and ill do you a .dxf file (pretty sure thats what most laser companies use).

i would fit some rubber bumpstops where the springs were personally :)
the actual springs wont stress the mounts, the high stresses occur when the coilie bottoms out imo (rally yumping)

'The advice' is to reinforce the axle as the mounts are only designed to take damping forces. Iv not heard anything about beefing up rear turrets but it doesn't sound like a bad idea, are you going to be drilling new holes or are the coil overs a single shaft still? could look into laser cutting some new plates with mounting holes and stuff? Very simple to CAD up, it you wanted you could give me dimentions and ill do you a .dxf file (pretty sure thats what most laser companies use).

Cheers Noddie that would be very kind, the axles strengthened anyway so a few more welds wouldnt hurt, it was the extra force the concerned me especially with the pot holes / B roads over here

Yep they would be direct fit Gaz versions with the single shaft (adapted Nova coilovers really)

i would fit some rubber bumpstops where the springs were personally :)
the actual springs wont stress the mounts, the high stresses occur when the coilie bottoms out imo (rally yumping)

seems like sound logic.

Reinforcement would be pretty simple also though imo.

High speed shock movement creates massive pressure especially when combined with a stiffer spring.
Personally I'd reinforce it. They weren't designed for the springs to be there so probably would suffer from the high comp forces coilovers give.
No harm in adding a plate to strengthen it
Prevention is cheaper than the cure etc
I split my strut tops before I got chance to reinforce em

High speed shock movement creates massive pressure especially when combined with a stiffer spring
nah, even bog standard shocks have pressure limiting shims/valving inside them to prevent that :) fitting bumpstops to where the springs used to be will mean that the highest loads are directed to the chassis and spring platform (inherently high strength area,s )

nah, even bog standard shocks have pressure limiting shims/valving inside them to prevent that :) fitting bumpstops to where the springs used to be will mean that the highest loads are directed to the chassis and spring platform (inherently high strength area,s )
Standard ones have a progressive "pyramid" shape arrangement, possibly "fluttered". The shims are what determine the damping settings eh not limit it. That's down to the oil used :)
So a high speed jolt such as a pothole will have enough pressure to activate all shims = very stiff = load transfered to body, hence roll cages used to dissipate load :)
Especially in a coilover where they'll be shimmed to work with a stiffer spring.

Bump stop will spread the load elsewhere aye
Reinforcing that mount is never a bad idea :)

Back