Coilover Rebuild or Rebuy

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
All right, just after options/opinions on my current repair situation.

I have a 2nd hand set of G4 Coilovers (so age/kms done is unknown)and the drivers side rear strut has started leaking and knocking over bumps.

Do I:

A) Try to find a rebuild/seal kit for this set of (to my knowledge) discontinued make of coilover and take the rears some where to be rebuilt.

OR

B)Buy some stock Struts or KYB short stroke struts and ditch the dead coilover struts? Which in theory will maintain my current ride height as the rears are independent spring and strut system, and still function as the coilovers do. I do however foresee issues with the rear springs becoming uncaptive, a harsh ride due to pre-compression of the shocks and the shock prematurely wearing out due to constant compression under a lower ride height(more an issue for OEM Shocks).

Ideally I would just buy a full set of BCs and throw them in but my budget doesn't allow for this :( #unistudentlyf

Any recommendations on where to get the coilovers repaired (in BRISBANE), any suppliers of KYB (or similar) short stroke struts, or someone with a pair of standard rear shocks for cheap will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

CMF_antos

» CMF Member
There is a place down moss st at slacks creek that rebuilds coilovers with new parts, from memory roughly $150 a cnr though. they are down on the right hand side if you were heading down from autobarn towards the highway. cant remeber their name sorry

CMF_antos

» CMF Member
That post was from 2006 so its no doubt the sane guys and have moved to geebung i would say. had a quick look and if memory serves me right it was
All about steering & suspension - 73 Moss St, Slacks Creek, QLD, 4127
Ph. 3808 9855.
They were down near the motorbike end towards the highway

CMF_Yom2

» CMF Member
You're over-thinking it. :p

The G4's are a cheap product. I'd put them in the bin. Along with the springs they came with.

KYB - what's this about not lasting as long in a lowered application? Nah, don't see that happening anymore. They're nothing special just a conventional high pressure twin tube. There is sort of an optimal spot for the piston to sit (usually about half way in its available travel) but it isn't critical. The valve stack in this particular type of shock doesn't actually know where it is sitting within the shock body so there's no increase in pressure. So yeh, i don't see it wearing out much faster than if it were at stock height.

What kills the shocks when a car is lowered is usually the "ricer" removes his bumpstops which allows the shock to fully compress when the vehicle bottoms out. This ruins the shock and can cause damage to the suspension and shock mounting points (bodywork). From memory on a K11 you do not want to go much lower than 40mm below stock as they start to run out of suspension travel. When modifying the K11 do not ever forget that it is not a performance car it is a FWD econobox and it has been designed as such!

Don't be scared away from Boge. Boge is the German equivalent of the Japanese KYB.

If you're after actual performance....

I'd suggest you look seriously at a product like Koni if they still make them for the K11. Also if you want a ride like the G4s provided (but without the premature wear, and actual ride quality) look at fitting some Bilstein shocks. Bilsteins can be had very cheaply these days if you buy them outside of Australia - and the ride/handling is excellent. You'll actually find them firm but compliant on massive road surface changes.

I just went on ebay and found these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koni-Niss...arParts_SM&hash=item41698c1ce3#ht_1988wt_1199

You will probably need to jump down to the wreckers and pick yourself up some strut tops for the front, spring insulators for the rear and possibly even some standard coils to get you on your way until you can afford quality lowered coils.

The shocks make more difference to your ride quality than the coil will. Keeping the wheels on the ground also helps improves the handling.

Have fun.

Greo WROTE:

"All right, just after options/opinions on my current repair situation.

I have a 2nd hand set of G4 Coilovers (so age/kms done is unknown)and the drivers side rear strut has started leaking and knocking over bumps.

Do I:

A) Try to find a rebuild/seal kit for this set of (to my knowledge) discontinued make of coilover and take the rears some where to be rebuilt.

OR

B)Buy some stock Struts or KYB short stroke struts and ditch the dead coilover struts? Which in theory will maintain my current ride height as the rears are independent spring and strut system, and still function as the coilovers do. I do however foresee issues with the rear springs becoming uncaptive, a harsh ride due to pre-compression of the shocks and the shock prematurely wearing out due to constant compression under a lower ride height(more an issue for OEM Shocks).

Ideally I would just buy a full set of BCs and throw them in but my budget doesn't allow for this :( #unistudentlyf

Any recommendations on where to get the coilovers repaired (in BRISBANE), any suppliers of KYB (or similar) short stroke struts, or someone with a pair of standard rear shocks for cheap will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance guys.

Back