Advice needed - Fitting a new cross member

Hey everyone,

I have just done a routine inspection on the undercarriage of my Micra and discovered a rusty hole in the NS of the lower front cross member. It's strange because it wasn't there a month ago and the rest of the cross member is absolutely mint.

I have decided I will just replace it with a new one as they cost around £28 on ebay which imo is pretty cheap (much cheaper than a garage anyway). I have read several blogs on here which all seem to offer slightly different methods of fitting it. Some have welded it on and others have just used the bolt holes.

My plan was to remove the old one by grinding / drilling the welds off, removing the bolts, fitting the new cross member and then only using the bolts to secure it back in place. Would this be okay? I have looks at the structure and can't see why it wouldn't work...

The rear axle also looks pretty bad (although I have seen worse) especially around the base of the coils. If I am going to replace it I may consider fitting a disc axle as there is a cheap one going near where I live in Swansea.

Is it a fairly straight forward swap to discs? The scrappy selling it said I would have to replace the master cylinder, but this didn't sound right to me, I thought it might just be some handbrake cables / new brake lines?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Calum

IMO, I will change new lower cross member and also need to weld it. I prefer to weld it so it will be more secure and good joints. My GX's lower cross member was welded which was good.

You can makes holes everywhere then weld it. Check in rob's turbo micra thread.'everyone love boost'. These pictures can explain to you very well.

Disc axle.... You should rebuild if some parts are worn out and also need to refurbish as well. (rust treatment and thick coat) Check on sirchris's turbo thread/Polly's blog index. It is plug and play but IMO, I will use uprated braided brake pipes and handbrake cables. It will be avoid from these rust cos most rear axles can get rust quickly.

Jk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back