K11 Racecar

Hi guys, as a former K10 owner on here and longtime K11 lover, a friend and I who both currently race fiestas of varying age were thinking about building a car between us based on a small, light chassis, such as the K11. The series we'd be entering allows engine swaps from the same manufacturer, but only up to 1600 16v N/A.

Does anyone on here run a K11 as a trackday/race car and does anyone have GA16DE experience? I've read that it goes into the K11, but is looking for 150bhp from a modified N/A one optimistic? I'd have loved to get hold of an SR16VE but neither of us have SR money to spend ;)

Thanks in advance MSC :)

I'd just turbo much easier and cheaper makes no sense trying to tune it otherwise :)
SR20 is a better option if your going that big anyway

I am sure turbocharging will fall outside of the series rules, (clues were in the original post LOL!) ;)

The GA16DE long block, with all ancilleries comes in at around 140kgs with transmission, whereas the CG13DE comes it at around 80kgs, so you will be packing 60kgs more up front. I would suspect that there would be better 1.6 powerplants to use which would mean less of a weight penalty. As a comparison the SR16VE would come in at around 155kgs, which is 75kgs more than stock but with the significant increase in power, however they are significantly more money to procure.

I can see the CG13DE being an obvious disadvantage if people can opt for upto 1600cc due to the torque penalty. If you really wanted to stick to Nissan perhaps the HR16DE from the later K12 would be a better option. I would however think that there are other manufacturers which would be an easier choice especially when it comes to power plants...

b16a2 from a civic... 165bhp straight away
Mitsubishi Colt/ Mirage Cyborg R 177bhp
erm, ah, just whack a ga16de in it, 104 bhp stock....... sod the weight penalty. its hardly a heavy car is it?.... and afterall, if you take off all the anciliaries, cast iron manifold, battery and powersteering / alternator, unused brackets etc there is more than 60kg's you can shed from the front end.

hmm.. power...
straight through 4-1 manifold and decatted exhaust system, twin side draught 40 webbers (or equivalent) cylinder head gas flowing / port polishing. set of race cams from piper/kent etc..... lightened flywheel, paddle clutch and a set of decent spark plugs and you would be well on your way to 150+bhp.

How about sourcing an SR16VE crankshaft, rods and pistons and de stroke a UK SR20DE from an Almera into an SR16DE. With the VE pistons you'll get good a good conpression ratio.

Alot of the Irish VZR owners stroke there 1.6 to a 2.0 so there's bound to be loads of the internals available for cheap!

Stick some big cams, exhaust etc etc and it coul work out alot cheaper.

i actually think thats a ground breaking rule changing idea, or a whole new event / stages
anything over a certain MPH boosts allowed to cut in.would make it very thrilling to watch and participate

I'd just turbo much easier and cheaper makes no sense trying to tune it otherwise :)
SR20 is a better option if your going that big anyway

b16a2 from a civic... 165bhp straight away
Mitsubishi Colt/ Mirage Cyborg R 177bhp
erm, ah, just whack a ga16de in it, 104 bhp stock....... sod the weight penalty. its hardly a heavy car is it?.... and afterall, if you take off all the anciliaries, cast iron manifold, battery and powersteering / alternator, unused brackets etc there is more than 60kg's you can shed from the front end.

hmm.. power...
straight through 4-1 manifold and decatted exhaust system, twin side draught 40 webbers (or equivalent) cylinder head gas flowing / port polishing. set of race cams from piper/kent etc..... lightened flywheel, paddle clutch and a set of decent spark plugs and you would be well on your way to 150+bhp.

B16a2 is pants, b16b is what you want!

Honda engines rotate in the opposite direction and are also fited on the right with the gearbox on the left. I would go with building a CG13 engine and a very light and balanced car. Its not the engine size that makes you go fast.

Racing is about acceleration, braking and handling. Power only helps acceleration while lightweight helps all three!

Mate go for a skimmed head, set of cams, full exhaust, anorexic flwheel, good air intake (matt humphris group a rally ones a beast!!) and a nistune.

Maybe raise the rev limit and maybe put some 1.0ltr pistons in there :)

frank knows how to raise the CR to silly levels and what cams work best when you do, he can also give you some tip on lightening things that you didnt even know you had.
Peter (aka k6pfs) if he is still around, knows how to get a big glug of power from a cg13
Ed (fusion) knows his ecu's like no one else
low rider knows more about the handling and balance of the micra than just about anyone out side of mulholland :p
there are continental members that are pushing the envelope of what you might think possible with the cg engine and dont forget, nissan managed to squeeze almost 200bhp out of the CG13DE in japan naturaly aspirated.

anythings possible.

he will be trying to compete with cars with 250cc more tho eh fwn (a hell of a handicap)
its either SR16 or else pick another make of car imo :eek:

Agree with Frank, SR or nothing.

Whats your budget? VE engines arent overly expensive if you know where to look. Its customs and VAT that gets everyone.

Dont forget a short ratio gearbox! Those long gears in the 1.3 box arent really wanted in racing :)

I'm selling a 1000cc box if there shorter ratios :shamelessplug:

Also if were talking rare engines what about
CA16de? 122bhp standard
Bit of wiki rape
The CA16DE is a 1.6 L (1598 cc) engine produced from 1987 through 1988. It produces 122 hp (91 kW) @6400 rpm and 137 N·m (101 ft·lbf) @5200 rpm. Bore and stroke is 78.0 mm (3.07 in) and 83.6 mm (3.29 in). It was a 16-valve DOHC engine with multiport fuel injection, for front wheel drive use

Pistons wouldnt fit. GA is 76mm bore. So maybe an overbored GA16 with CA16 pistons :p

Im pretty sure Cov on AOC was doing that to make a GA17.

But again finding a CA is gonna be pretty hard on its own.

Pistons wouldnt fit. GA is 76mm bore. So maybe an overbored GA16 with CA16 pistons :p

Im pretty sure Cov on AOC was doing that to make a GA17.

But again finding a CA is gonna be pretty hard on its own.

Bluebirds had a single cam ca16s so maybe ca18 head would mate up to to give it FI and twin cam but again all purely guess work
Pistons are too small but maybe the rods would fit? You cut get some destroked rods made up but that wouldn't be cheap

Back