K11 Fuel Tanks

Paul Smith

Site Supporter
I was wondering if anyone knows if the really early micra k11's had a smaller fuel tank than the others?

The only reason i ask my micra only costs around 30 pound to fill up and never more than 35 when she is really empty. However my super s i had cost between 40 - 45 pound to fill.

I know it sounds daft because fuel prices vary but i was running both cars at the same time and the difference was a big as above? any ideas?

I was under the impression that all K11s had a 42 litre tank.

It may just be the accuracy of the fuel gauge being wrong, and you're filling the Super S up when its running on fumes, and the other one you think is near empty, still has a few litres left in it.

Just an idea.

i have a 42 litre tank on a 52 plate micra s 998cc and although the car has not stopped ie run out of fuel, i can only fit around 35 litres of fuel in the car, the gauge reads absolute zero and is well in the red and the needle does not move whatsoever. i think the gauge may be wrong as a safety measure to save people running out of fuel. the only way to test this theory is to completely run out of fuel a few times to test and even then there will probably be some still in the fuel lines etc. So i don't think i could ever get near putting 42 litres in.

I ran mine dry actually ran out of fuel but eventhen i only got 36 litres in? it'll only do about 200 miles to a tank before you almost run out, they are 20 mile trips so not even small ones, the super s used to do 300 - 350 a tank?

I know its modified now but miles per tank have never really changed, even from 1 litre, turbo, and 1348cc to now.?????

Would a reserve fuel tank come into it? I've never put more than £35 in my supposedly 42l '95 1.0, and that was when prices were at their peak over summer.

Tom

I don't have enough money to completely fill up my tank, which I need to do to calibrate my fuel guage. But at the moment, it's in the supposed red, so I'd try it out.

get the same problem, i have a 93 i think LX 1.3 and a 98 GX 1.3

even tho the LX is stripped out, it uses more fuel than the GX by about £5

also i ALWAYS reset the trip after filling the tanks,

the GX will get at least 300 miles per tank no matter how i drive
the LX will get about just under 300 miles per tank

Glad someone else has noticed this issue mine was a 93 LX.

It has got a skyline pump but it was the same before the pump i may try the scrappy for a later fuel tank and replace mine maybe they are a different shape or something or maybe mine might have a lot of dirt in or something?

This is always an issue. Earlier K11's had a problem with the breather pipe being made too long, which would kink in the middle and not allow a full fillup......Matt will testify to this I'm sure.......poke your head up under the wheel arch and see if there's a kink in the breather as it runs through the chassis. The other reason is the fuel gauges are not always accurate.

As a comparison my 94' SuperS takes around 28-30 litres to a fillup with the reserve light on, (200miles to a tank).......when I re-built the car I ran it down and pumped the remaining fuel out.....got about 12 litres out of it before it ran dry, (I fixed the breather pipe about 4 years ago), so I know my gauge is just lousy.

My 1.0 LX used to take about 33-35 litres with the reserve light on, (320miles to a tank) and my 1.3 GX takes about 37 but does get 400miles to a tank.......which is really great, (yeah I tend to drive that one like an OAP) ;)

This is always an issue. Earlier K11's had a problem with the breather pipe being made too long, which would kink in the middle and not allow a full fillup......Matt will testify to this I'm sure.......poke your head up under the wheel arch and see if there's a kink in the breather as it runs through the chassis. The other reason is the fuel gauges are not always accurate.

As a comparison my 94' SuperS takes around 28-30 litres to a fillup with the reserve light on, (200miles to a tank).......when I re-built the car I ran it down and pumped the remaining fuel out.....got about 12 litres out of it before it ran dry, (I fixed the breather pipe about 4 years ago), so I know my gauge is just lousy.

My 1.0 LX used to take about 33-35 litres with the reserve light on, (320miles to a tank) and my 1.3 GX takes about 37 but does get 400miles to a tank.......which is really great, (yeah I tend to drive that one like an OAP) ;)

sounds like GX's are just awesome ;)

I'm gonna check tomorrow because i ran out of fuel and could only put 33.82 litres in that did me 210 miles. Working on the 2 litre today but i will definitely have an update by tomorrow

Back