Fuel / mileage

Suze

Club Member (Trial)
Now, I am sure some will laugh for this topic, but to give you the background....

My car is a 94 K11 [1275cc]. It is a rally car and, having been "a little used and abused" on some [very rough] events the fuel gauge cannot really be relied on. Now as some of the events I do are Endurances I tend to fill her up and not worry about weight. Now as I am starting staging, but more importantly have driven the car into work a few times, I need to know how far I can expect to go on a tank.... [competition driving obviously doesn't give a fair reflection].

So without trying to drive exceptionally economically, but whilst knowing the fuel tank size etc, what does everyone else tend to get out of a tank? I commute 70 miles [round trip] a day with a mixture of mainly motorways but some town / city [slow!] driving.

Thanks.

As a proud & recent owner of a k11 I get 46mpg with a mixture of country & local driving (non-motorway). I was rather astonished by it as my other bus only gives 30 something.

350/340 miles should go on in a full tank last time i tryed on my 1.3,,who knows if petrols been more thined down since?

I used to get over 300 miles to the tank but since I put an induction kit in the MPG has decreased a noticeable amount :S Any reason as to why this is happeneing?

I used to get over 300 miles to the tank but since I put an induction kit in the MPG has decreased a noticeable amount :S Any reason as to why this is happeneing?

the factory snorkle is designed for maximum grunt, you may gain a bit of topend with an induction kit, but mine gave a big flatspot and that kills your mpg imo

I thought the K11 Holds about 42 litres (Which is about 9.2 odd gallons) which at about 44 mpg or so could achive way above 330-350 miles. (330 taking into account city driving etc, 404 if you were travelling at cars optimum 24/7)

As for the flat spot, any reason this happens frank? Are the curves on the 1.0 and 1.3 the same (Showing the flat spot also?) i've had some right economy problems lately.

cheers for reply frank - what would you classify as a good enough induction kit to give you more mpg.
Would the K&N ones give you more or would they do the same as my current one?

i would guess that nissan spent many R and D hours perfecting the bore and length of the cold air snorkel that goes to the back of the headlamp (and finetuned the fuelmap to suit it)
so imo a slightly bigger factory setup (GA16) is the only alternative if you want to retain the "drivability" and mpg :)

I've done some calulations lately and I got 28.125mpg after filling up 16L, then 41.28mpg after filling up 23L. This gives an average of 35.9 mpg so compared to what other people are quoting I'm a bit concerned!

Edit: Forgot to mention I've got a sportex cat-back and omp panel filter.

How did you get more economy by having more fuel?? haha, hmm makes sense if the R and D dep did that, shame we have this dumbed down spot, wonder if we could adapt the stock piping to do 'more' hahaha,

Im certain its 42, 4.5 (On face lift) class as the reserve light (1 gallon) i find this to be accurate, im sure i read this in haynes o_O (But either way i can get good miles out of the res light haha)

Sure it should be capable of more then 300 though o_O

Ok then....what's the lowest that you've got the needle to drop before running out of fuel?? When mine was on the empty line I full tanked it and most it would take in was just under 30 litres. Could be that the needle isn't accurate and I might have had another 10 or so litres of fuel to use up. Who knows.

Put 33 litres in and had full last notch if i recall, which would be accurate by my books because the last notch is like two.

sam034a8.jpg

Maybe ill carry a 5l jerry can in the boot and run the car dry. When it stops i'll top it up and full tank and see how much goes in.

Actually sounds like Micra are suffering from poor mileage atm? Mind you weathers still poor here in England, bet the Micra does quite well in the summer time (Y)

If you garage your car and have heating in there (Like mine) then you will find the engine heats up much faster and i find it saves a bit of fuel too! ><

Well just done a quick sum and not sure its right but it seems OK... Needle was almost on zero on monday so topped up with £32. So far its not quite back at starting position and I have done over 260 miles. Thats about 48mpg and will still go up a bit! (presuming around £1.30 a litre and 4.54 litres to a gallon). Mix of country roads and dual carriageway mainly 60-80 mph.

Thats completely standard '93 K11 - fat exhausts and cone filters are bound to sacrifice something as Frank said...

I was driving my wifes Ford Galaxy to work for a while - a 2.8l V6 that costed me more than £32 per day.

reserve 50miles on my old 1.0 lx--from warning light on untill empty,,then i had the pertrol can ready,,so i wouldnt be stranded

definately shouldnt smell of petrol out the back once warmed up
and maybe a remap for the extra air comming in?????????????????????????????????????

Ihave a 1.3L engine and a 1.0L gearbox and I get approx 200 miles a full tank if i drive sensible, The mods i have done is janspeed full system and a K&N filter, is that good? if bad then what do i do?????????????????

J

I wouldn't say so but im not sure, we need someone running a stock micra to do a full eco drive week/two weeks.

I'll do the same hopefully, im running cut stock induction pipes + no filter atm (Although i have a halfrauds one that needs a quick clean to go in)

Hopefully over the next two weeks i can have results.

To carry out an eco drive on a full tank of petrol would a 1.3L make any difference over a 1.0L in the fuel intake, in obviuous reasons a 1.3 would drink more as its a bigger capacity but is it alot more?

J

My 160SR averaged about ~43 mpg when it was all stock. It now has K&N panel filter in the airbox and a straight through cat-back 2 1/2" zorst and it still does the same. It just feels like the power back has pushed up the range a bit :).

So are there really 'easy' mods that can be done to increase MPG?
Or will everyone just kill it.

And I have decided that I am going to take off my cone filter induction kit and just put the standard air box back in with a K&N panel filter. Will try and sell it for about £35 so I don't loose too much. It's only been used for less than 200 miles!

20 quid a week om ,one which gives me bang on half a tank from the light coming on gives me 150miles of rather economical accelarator action , which does seem quiet juicy , gave the girl a service yesturday so hope things improve !!!!!!:down:

20 quid a week wouldn't give half a tank, it'd give a fair bit less (Almost a gallon) 150 miles from that is actually quite good!

Unless your telling me fuel where you are is a quid per litre :p

Started my eco run, 33 miles later and the needle finally moved off full,

Also i've noticed that the fuel guage on my car is split pretty equallity into 9 parts, 9 x 4.5 (1 gallon) is nearly a full tank, so there is another way i can read miles per gallon now :D.

Got another induction pipe to go on maybe after the trials, but i have a siezed screw stuck in the body (DAMIT)

So are there really 'easy' mods that can be done to increase MPG?

I would think losing weight first - strip it of everything non essential, and rolling weight particulalry important so lightweight racing alloys. Then aero - strip and smoothing everything on the outside - though difference I imagine will be minimal...

I've done some calulations lately and I got 28.125mpg after filling up 16L, then 41.28mpg after filling up 23L. This gives an average of 35.9 mpg so compared to what other people are quoting I'm a bit concerned!

Edit: Forgot to mention I've got a sportex cat-back and omp panel filter.

I'm getting similar milage to you.mine is a 1.0 totally standard I have been getting between 28-33MPG which this is my first micra and I was expecting a lot better MPG

I just roughly worked mine out to be 35.5MPG or 60 miles to £10 (7.7Litres)

1300 Super S
160,000 miles and in need of a service!! fwn
Cone induction Kit
Frankenspeed manifold
Hollowed out 1st Cat
Full Peter Lloyd Exhaust System and 2nd Cat removed
Driving with a good mix of Town/Motorway/Country Roads daily

Will see what I get on £20

lambda might be worth uncloging/cleaning---by the look of the plugs and how chared they get the oxy sensor may need attention also,,,,,,lemon juice some members recomend,,,water rinse,thoroghly dry when replacing

Sorry to make this even worse, but looking through an old super S (i think) booklet, micra is apparently tested to get up to 58 mpg at 55mph and into 40s or something at 75mph (i will grab book when im next at scrappy) (new i know) but that should theoretically mean the micra should be able to achive 400 miles quite easily depending on eco drive and modification (none :p)

ACCORDING TO THIS BOOK

DSC00454-1.jpg

cg10de man 5 speed 56mph = 58.8mpg 75mph = 42.2mpg simulated urban 47.1mpg
cg10de auto.ncvt.. .......""""" = 54.3mpg """"" = 39.8mpg """"""""" """"" 46.3mpg

cg13de man 5 speed 155/70r13 ..........56mph = 57.6MPG 75mph = 42.2mpg urban simulated 42.8mpg
CG13DE-AUTO-NCVT-------------------54.3------------------41.5--------------------------40.9

cg13de man 5 speed 175/70r13 --------53.3-------------38.7---------------------40.9
-------auto---------------------------52.3-------------38.7---------------------39.8

Thats the one! (I have my facelift one with nothing like that in it!)

CG10de, for maximum figure only 58*9.2 = 533 miles per full tank, 400 Miles in a full tank should be a breeze but were running 9-18 year old micras now so thats easily effecting things, but i get jack outa my fuel these days, think stock induction pipe will go back on (Y)

Thats the one! (I have my facelift one with nothing like that in it!)

CG10de, for maximum figure only 58*9.2 = 533 miles per full tank, 400 Miles in a full tank should be a breeze but were running 9-18 year old micras now so thats easily effecting things, but i get jack outa my fuel these days, think stock induction pipe will go back on (Y)

When i drive city most and 10 km on motorway i make only 350 km until the light come up.
but when i went to the country side for weekend i made 498km until the light come up.

Sorry for the different measure types but i leave in greece and we use liters and kilometers.

About the smell. I had a really annoying fuel's smell months ago, and i took my micra for service.
We unplugged the tank and found on the top of tank a pipe which had leak. We replaced that with a new one and the fuel's smell disappeared.

Back