K11 Advice Please

First off, I'm new to this forum so hello to you all.
When I turn 17 (late this year) I'm planning on getting a Micra K11 pre facelift. (94 - 97?ish) My knowledge on the micra isn't great which is why I have come here. The main reasons why I want a K11 is I think they look the best out of all the micras, they're good an insurance, good on fuel and personally I prefer them to the thousands of saxos and 106s you see every day.

I'd like to know what sort of light modifications you would do to a bog standard 1 litre micra if you were 17. Mainly cosmetic, tasteful things which won't send up the insurance. I'll save the other stuff for when the insurance will be kinder to me.

Also, if anyone knows where to get an open-mouth grill or how to make one I'd love to know. Thanks for any advice, I'm following all of the modifications blogs with interest and I hope to become a regular poster on this site, especially after I turn 17.

Cheers.

PS - I may have enough money for one by the summer, would you reccomend buying a car a 4 or 5 months before taking your test so you can mess around different ideas on the driveway (keeping it off the road) or should I wait until I'm 17? Thanks.

Welcome mate!

Im in exactly the same boat right now. 17 in May :grinning:

Theres a few mods you can do cosmetically. It all depends on how much your willing to spend. Some nice wheels. Lowered. colour coding etc. the Micra can be made to look quite nice. :)

And for an open mouth grill, you'll have to make one. Or you might get lucky and someone might sell one. Read a few blogs on how others go about it and youll get some inspiration (Y)
Oh and dont let age put you off posting here, ive been on here since I was 15 (Y)

hi hig :grinning: yes checkout the blogs, there are plenty of subtle (insurance friendly) mods that you can do if you use your loaf

i had a renault 5 when i turned 16 mate and tarted it up a bit before i was 17 so i dont see why not its good to get to know a car before you drive.... id advise using your car on provisional as it boosts your confidence loads mate!

i had my K10 before i passed although i passed well after 17 lol
Alloy wheels don't make much different to insurance.
same as paint work, some body modifications.
Mention bodykit though and it goes up like a ~~~~~~~~> rocket. :blush:

Thanks for the welcomes everyone, been looking at a few K11s on ebay and what really seems to stand out is the faded colours on most of them, they all look very dull and in need of a respray along with the plastic bumpers.
Do you reckon a 1.3 Super S will be a bit too costly for a first car?

Thanks for the welcomes everyone, been looking at a few K11s on ebay and what really seems to stand out is the faded colours on most of them, they all look very dull and in need of a respray along with the plastic bumpers.
Do you reckon a 1.3 Super S will be a bit too costly for a first car?

Remember though prefacelifts are now at least 13 years old so paint wont be perfect! Fading colour wont necesarrily warrant a respray either. Just a good T cut and polish! Have a look at martinb21s car. he got his from a dull grey/black to a shining example :)

Hello and Welcome to the club.

As a few have said, have a look in the K11 Blog section. My mods are mainly cosmetic so far until the thing runs without a powerpack, lol. (not the cars fault mine)

Also little things, hmm a couple of suggestions.

1. remove the rocker cover give it a clean and spray with High Temp Paint.
2. accessory lighting.
3. tidy engine bay.
4. if you feel daring remove the entire dashboard and paint (big job) see my blog, lol.

Good luck with whatever you do. and don't rush.(Y)

Back