K10 Shockers

Courior

Fat ppl r harder 2 kidnap
hi, I done a search and found a little bit of the answer so i think ill try a new thread. sorry for all the questions but i hope someone can help! cheeeeeeeers

What are the best shock absorbers for the K10?
how much for all four (with links if poss)?
Do universal ones fit or ones from a K11?
Also how easy is the job on changing them?

Thank in Advance!!

Courior

fitting shocks is dangerous only if you know what you are doing and you will need springs commpressors to do the job their straight forward to do

The *front* shocks require spring compressors, else the job would be dangerous yes, but the *rear* shocks dont need spring compressors at all.

Changing the rears is a little easier because of this, you have to remove 2 bolts on the lower end which attach the shock to the suspension, then a single (annoying) bolt at the top. It then drops down and the spring sliiides off. I think ive got Monroe shocks on the back of mine. Didnt seem to make much difference but stopped the 14" wheels rubbing.

The fronts are a little more difficult, 2 bolts at the bottom, the brake line is clipped on and is carefully removed, then 2 bolts which are easily undone at the top. Then removing the spring is evil, you need spring compressors, some spanners and a bit of patience I dont have.

I wouldnt know which shocks/springs are best, and to be honest it depends what you want in my opinion. I think the shock springs/shocks are ideal for comfort, while the Super S type models seem to be rock hard (makes everything rattle unfortunately), but perhaps this is better for handling, I don't know but it certainly understeers more.

Anyone to disagree?

Fronts dont need compressors, and it isn't dangerous to change them without them. Just undo the necessary bolt in the engine bay and jack the car up. The jacking process de compresses the spring. Speedle taught me that and it works.

I have bodge shocks and spax springs with Spax bump stops, and the ride is very very firm, along side toyo tyres and a strut brace for excellent handling.

Fronts dont need compressors, and it isn't dangerous to change them without them. Just undo the necessary bolt in the engine bay and jack the car up. The jacking process de compresses the spring. Speedle taught me that and it works.

Ohh didn't think of doing that...

one of my many little work arounds there ;)

k11 front shocks fit the k10 rear k11 shocks are totally diffrent.

monroes are by far the best off the shelf shocks and very hard wearing. however any shocks that arnt nissan would be and improvent the nissan ones are thin and soft. unipart ones are much thicker and harder, your looking about £20-25 per front new from a motor factors £10-20 per rear all depends where you go.

any good motor factors will stock shocks check your yellow pages mate and go see em, cash in hand works well at motor factors for a discount ;)

monroes cost more than unipart ones but are still a good comprimise. with some decent shocks and lowering the k10 can handle very well ;)

Great advice guys, thanks!! Im not gonna do any lowering as my car likes the muddy stuff as well as the road!! for the front. can i replace JUST the shocks or do i need springs as well? also, by "Motor Factors" do you mean just a motor parts shop? lol one last thing, as the K11 rears wont fit im guessing there is no "universal" type shocks.. they HAVE to be made specifically for the K10 to fit, am i right?

im gettting all excited now about changing the shocks lol!

EDIT:

I have found these on ebay.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nissan-Micra-...ryZ10402QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
they are the same like arnold has. and so i might go for it. they are BOGE ones. also, can i put monroe or a diff make on the front and BOGE on the back? or all four need to be the same?
Cheers!!

laaaaaaaaaaast question!!

Ok heres what i have found.. (last post i promise!!)

I can get a FULL SET of Monroe for £113 delivered. or a full set of Gabriel for £100 delivered.. What ones shall i go for out of these? or shall i try and get a full set of BOGE?

Thanks!

anyone?? as i wanna order them sooooon!! :D

No your standard springs would be ok, but you'l notice a significant difference in looks and handling if you change them for lowering springs.

but just upgrading the shockers to monroe will make a massive difference to the handling wont it??? ie, its worth the £100?

just make sure you get the monroe gas reflex shocks and you will feel the handling

100 sounds alot but break it down to 20 each corner and it sounds better lol

If you're using your car regularly, then yeah, it seems a bit to shell out but once you feell the difference EVERY time you get in and drive......you wouldn't even regret it if it cost you double

You will probably think "Hell, why didn't I do this years ago"

After all £100 quid is only around 2 and a half tanks of fuel.....

Stretch yourself....go springs aswell!!!

New suspension will TRANSFORM your ride!!

Oh damn these trades men!!! ive been offered a FULL SET of BOGE for £93 quid including VAT... or a FULL SET of monroe for £113... These are the 2 everyone raves about.. the BOGE guy said they are OEM parts for porche, BMW, Merc etc so seem pretty good... but i aint got any of them.. Its DEFO between these 2 makes... whats it to be lads??? arghhhhhh choices!!!!

Hi Courior

i changed my rear shocks with some oil filled shocks (cost under £30). I won't recommend a particular make, as all i wanted to do was stop the rear end from bouncing and possibly skidding when going over bumps in countryside lanes and motorways. The rear shocks are easy to change but i was initially scared by rumours by a donkey's @ss of a guy (not even a mechanic) that its toooooo dangerous that i could possibly have my head knocked off fwn but that wasn't the case. I am not sure what the piston rod on monroe shocks look like but a good tip i can recommend is on top of the piston rod (pokes into the boot) you can hold it using an adjustable wrench, as it has a rectangular shape. This will prevent the piston rod from turning as you tighten the nuts in the boot. i won't recommend using a Plier as you will need a lot force to hold and tighen it and the Plier will only damage the end.

to remove thr shocks ensure both tyres are off the ground, losen the nut from the top and poke the rod through and losen the nut from the bottom. just make sure you clean the nuts and bolts with WD40 to get rid of dirt and grit to ensure nuts tighten smoothly. The spring will need a little bit of force to free it but its an easy task.

Mani

ok Boge has 2 votes (mine, because they are cheaper, and arnold).

arnold, if you wanna make this a sticky or something then i can put where im getting the BOGE from (tooting in south london), and if more people want them i will mention the MSC and see if i can get a discount!

lol ok, after i buy the shocks and had a try at getting a discount by mentioning the club, flashing my ID card, and saying he will get extra business from this site then ill put his full name, address, and a little review.. he also sells a full set of brake pads for the K10 for a fiver so ill be getting a set of them seeing as ill have the wheels off and the car in bits anyway!!! niiiiiice.

i have bilsteins on front and rear with ventura 35mm lowering springs, i have not tried them yet as im 16 and doin this car for road rallies, but its a whole lot firmer than standard lol. they were expensive tho. but alot of people on here have sed the boge ones are good.

Right then... I went to pick up the shocks today, customer service was great! they had the shocks ready to go and all i had to do was pay. I asked about a club discount but he said that he only makes about a fiver on each shock and cant really take any more off the price. so i got:
Full set NEW BOGE shocks for K10 = £93.11
Full set of brake pads (4 pads) = £5
so under a £100 for the lot!. pretty good i think!!
Ive put the rear shocks on and they feel a little bit firmer when i sit in the boot but not a maaaaaaaasive difference. I think the rear shocks werent to bad to begin with, but was good practice for tommorrow when i will tackle the front shocks. The place i got it from details are:
Vail auto ltd.
15a Selkirk road,
Tooting, London
SW17 0ER
0208 6727272 - Speak to Jon.

They also have clutches for the K10 (whole unit) for about £34, and plenty of oil and stuff at trade prices!

Just to add, I completed all four shocks, the fronts were i think just as easy as the rear, and boooooooy what a difference!!!! handles VERY nice now lol.

lol I its so funny how bad a stock K10 is. Only the ST has any kind of road hold stock and even thats not great, but when you get in a K10 with 15+ year old suspension your all over the place.

Just to add, I completed all four shocks, the fronts were i think just as easy as the rear, and boooooooy what a difference!!!! handles VERY nice now lol.

Really pleased you're enjoying the difference....and you will enjoy it every drive out you have!!!

Soon that few quid that you forked out will pail into insignificance and you'll think...

'why didn’t I do this years ago?? (worth every penny)'

..and

'tyres, wheels and springs next (GRIN)'

.....and ....

'everyone should stretch themselves to upgrade their stock suspension'

Anyone who LOVES their K10 and DRIVING it will not believe the difference this mod makes

A message to all stock crew: Do it:)

Back