K10 Shockers

I read the other threads for this task.. and expected it to go OK.
I bought two new shocks from the nissan guy... er I was a little surprised to see they were so small and narrow... and wondered where the spring would sit. I imagined that the assembly would come apart when i removed it and then... the new damper would go in.
I am now a little ticked off to find I have removed the old shocker only to find the spring support is integral???? Or looks it... hard to tell with so much crap all over it. So........... what did the guy sell me?? I am browned off after anwering all queries right down to the full reg only to come away with what looks like the wrong part. Can I separate the old damper from the spring support?? Help! My car is in pieces on the drive and it's dark.

DSC00047.jpg

Aye yes.. I do have that diagram.. but it doesn't give any information about disassembly.. I mean the spring holder could be part of a sleeve affair that the damper slides into...

I took a look hard look at my old one and it looks as if the spring holder is welded to the outside of the damper.

Balls. Nothing to do until Monday now.

it depends, when i got my k10 i changed the dampers, they were odd ones. one of them the 'cup' appered to be welded on where as the other one, which was a nissan one, the 'cup' came off with a slight tap of the hammer.

Hmm yes ... I did try the "FBH" treatment... it looked pretty solid and not keen to budge.
I see a task coming up plus.. I have two new effectively useless dampers.

to cups held on by a nut right at the very top, undo this, dont think you need spring compressors with micra springs, could be wrong though.........then take off the top cup and bushes carefully keeping in order, rest will be obvious, spring comes away from shock absorber, refit in reverse order.

You need compressors on the front, unless you undo the bolts first then jack the car up. Jacking the car reduces spring tension

Back