K10 flames?

Mark

Ex. Club Member
Last night was out and upon changing gear i was letting it hit the rev limiter when changing from 3rd to 4th gear and it makes some loud bangs from the exhaust,

has anyone else experienced this? i think its spitting some flames out but with me driving and unable to see i'm unsure,

does anyone else's k10 spit flames on the limiter?

Only turbo cars can split flames as far as Im aware when the excess gasses catch alight, your probably just experiencing back pressure cos ur exhaust is blowing slightly somewhere.

Correct me if Im wrong by all means, lol

could just be unburnt fuel/vapours exiting and igniting in the exhaust as it gets extremely hot. I know turbo cars have the problem, my friends astra pops loads.

If it's spitting flames then that's alot of unburned fuel!!!! gonna cost alot to keep up those antics! :)

would be cool to see though.

I thought it would spit flames cause when it hits the rev limiter that cuts the ignition letting the unburnt fuel through?

easier to do on a turbo than a N/A as it has to go through the exhaust side of the turbo which gets pretty hot

rev limer cut in, excess fuel hits the inlet manifold and egnights

Mark A K10 doesnt have a rev limited unless you fitted one.

I think I remember him saying he fitted a rev limiter. Pretty good idea tbh. We should get one for Arnold for Christmas :D

my mate tom made his k10 spit flames allthe time he was very good at it, hes got video proof ill see if i can get it off him ;)

and the the k10 revs till it goes bang no limiter fitted, revving above 7k is the best way to destroy the engine, its also way! way! out of the power band lol

James said:
I think I remember him saying he fitted a rev limiter. Pretty good idea tbh. We should get one for Arnold for Christmas :D
lmfao brilliant jimbo!!! i was stuck for ideas for him lol

Oh well in that case its clear why it does backfires. It just cuts the ignition, but the fuel is still going so when the revs drop and ignition comes back on it ignites the fuel sitting in the exhaust pipe. BTW doing this often can result in exhaust/valve damage..

Ed said:
Oh well in that case its clear why it does backfires. It just cuts the ignition, but the fuel is still going so when the revs drop and ignition comes back on it ignites the fuel sitting in the exhaust pipe. BTW doing this often can result in exhaust/valve damage..
yup thats pretty much how my mate did it the car was scrapped anyway so he was happy to abuse it! never wanted to try myself

yeah its got a omex rev limiter fitted at 5800rpm. only reason why i fitted it is because on a few occasions i've missed a gear and over revved it :(

hits it in 4th gear lol

i awlays thought it was i good idea to fit one myself to the k10 must get that done soon, how much was yours mark? i know some of them can cost quite a bit

thats exactly how toms used to do it. it started when it had a misfire on a cylinder helpin the fuel go all the way thru. then he fitted one of the push button starts where if u cut the igniton at high revs then flip it back on u get a nice flame. does the same thing on the key just not as easy to time

hehe, i set the carb on it up properly, had it done at a garage, and it still popped! you remember that beast, found some piccy of it actually!

Back