K10 niggling issues.

misterBaz

Ex. Club Member
OK I bought my first K10 last Friday for twenty quid, it was a shed with no oil in it. I have since got it through it's MOT, changed the oil and filter (twice), air filter, plugs, flushed and refilled the rad, topped up the battery fluid and screen wash, scrubbed and T-cut the body work, scrubbed out the interior (which was revolting), and started work on cleaning the engine. Tomorrow I am changing the timing belt and replacing the gearbox oil. And on Monday I plan to change the O/S/F wing.

So, firstly any advice on the timing belt? Common mistakes made etc?

Secondly, when I depress the accelerator fully in 3rd or 4th gear, sometimes the power will cut off and then come back on after a few seconds. (I don't mean all the electrics go off I just mean it feels like the engine stops responding momentarily and the car slows down until it kicks back into life again). Sometimes it will go off on off on off on and make the car judder. This is only when the accellerator is fully de-pressed, easing off the gas by just a couple of mm solves the problem. Usually only seems to happen at higher speeds aswell. I'm guessing that it's probably a carb issue...I intend to get the carb off and give it a proper clean when I get some time, but I just wondered if anyone else has come accross this and whether they resolved it or not?

Thirdly, whining...do K10s whine? Or is it just mine. It whines nearly all the time and the higher the revs the high the pitch of the whining is. I'm hoping that changing the gearbox oil tomorrow may reduce some of the whining...but I can't see it eliminating the noise completely. I thought it might be a thrust bearing issue because when I press the clutch the whining stops... or maybe just all K10s whine thru the revs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers guys,

Baz

EDIT: I have completely put this in the wrong section, sorry about that.

how many miles has the car done, mine had dun 70000 and made similar noises i fitted a brand new clutch kit, it didnt stop the wining completely but quitened them somewhat.

as 4 the timing belt use ur haynes manual and makesure the timing marks are lined up twice, also turn the endine with a spanner till they all line up again to double check...

Cheers guys. Cars done 62,082 miles if memory serves correctly. Clutch is in great condition, so don't want to change the clutch really. Will look at the release bearing though. Thanks for the pointers on the timing belt issue. :)

Back