K10 Clutch/gearbox problem

CMF_Rod

» CMF Member
My K10 has had a "fragile" clutch ( crunching, stuttering, grinding )sorted out tempoarily by adjustment of cable. Now I suddenly cannot engage any gear with gearstick from neutral with engine running. The stick seems to move okay when engine not running. What has happened, and what is my best plan ( please resist usual rude suggestions ).
Rod ( Crete ).

cisco

» CMF Member
Hi Rod,

No we aren't rude here, and if the people are, I delete their messages.

Can you hear any metal grinding or crunching?

Probably need some more information on your symptoms for us to be able to narrow it down. At this stage: could be gearbox, clutch, cable and/or cable adjustment etc..

CMF_Rod

» CMF Member
Cisco,

Thanks for reply, - no can't hearing anything really nasty like
the metal grinding etc., - from what you say my best hope is that
it may be a cable problem ? But do the clutches need replacing every now and then - I don't have a history of being "hard on them". Live in Crete ( Greek Island ) and haven't researched it here yet but www.buypartsby.co.uk quoted about UKPounds 32 including tax for a K10 "clutch kit".

When I wrote "no rude suggestions" meant "jokey/sarcastic ones" rather than obscene. The site is not a cricket pitch, after all.

Many thanks,
Rod.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Elabourate on the stuttering you mentioned. Was this bunny-hopping while letting the clutch out (as if the clutch was grabbing, letting go, grabbing, etc)? Possibility of clutch pressure plate failure anyone?

Other things which spring to mind of Yom:

Possibility of clutch fork failure (if the K10 design is anything like the K11, it isnt going to bend any time soon - its a very bulky cast piece of steel) and any problem here will most probably be the grub screws holding the fork to the shaft. This can be fixed with the gearbox off, some "lock-tight" and repositioning of the clutch fork.

Also visually inspect the clutch arm on top of the gearbox with someone else pressing the clutch. If it moves around 4cm, the cable is probably OK. If it doesnt move - check the cable (although you would be suffering pedal sagging issues if the cable was dying). The top clutch arm on the gearbox could also be bent/broken (quite common with uprated clutches/lack of lubrication on throwout bearing).

Other clutch cable related things to inspect would be the firewall mounting point for the clutch pedal assembly - could be cracked.

Sorry for the long post. I'm thinking today. Hehe.

Back