Possibe clutch and TB issue? Just want advice!

I'm a newbie - I bought my K11 last month (X reg), and it's fantastic!

So I'm getting a bit worried about a few little 'issues' - I only passed my test in November, learned in a 10 reg Focus :glare: so it's been a bit of a learning curve to get into my Micra! :doh:

I'm sure part of my problem is the whole new driver thing - and I've made plenty of mistakes, definitely.

Here are the issues though:

Really 'lumpy' idle - loads of vibrating. I don't seem to notice a difference between lumpiness in either 1st or neutral (clutch pedal down/up). The lumpiness is even noticeable in 2nd, for example, in really slow traffic. And seems to be worse when cold - engine is cold or it's just freezing outside. Based on what I've read from other people, could this be a throttle body issue? If so, can anyone give me a price range in terms of getting this repaired?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions? I have got a Haynes manual, and I'd say my max comfort zone is the 'three' level spanner symbol and even that's pushing it.

Another issue is gear shifting - getting into reverse can be extremely difficult, as if the gear doesn't seem to exist or is 'blocked'. I've discovered that double clutching helps, but surely it shouldn't be necessary?? Also experienced this 'blocking' with getting into first as well - ie, downshifting in traffic.

I'm guessing it's clutch related - when I bought the car, the bite point was extremely high, but a clutch cable adjustment did bring it down. However, changing gears does seem really difficult and I'm sometimes really struggling to keep them smooth - especially in the 1st/2nd range (I know it could also just be me being a crap driver!)

But I was never this sh** while learning!

Also, a third thing -

There's a rattling/crunching noise that seems to be coming from my gearbox. The rattling is most noticeable when wobbling the gear stick while it's in neutral. The crunching sound is really loud when shifting from either up or down into third... Sounds a lot like there's a broken bit of metal somewhere in the gear box, if that makes sense? A friend of mine did check the exhaust - that looked okay.

That's it - for now, anyway. I want to keep my car, I love my car.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - and thank you for getting this far in the thread!!

Cheers,

N

Regarding the throttle body, it will probably need the joints re soldering to solve the lumpiness. You can do this yourself quite easily. There is a guide on here how to do it.

The downshifting to first, if your doing this while moving i believe its some sort of safety feature so you don't blow your engine?
I know i can't change down to first until I'm below 20ish. If your not moving then could be your clutch, if its not then I'm out of ideas.
Reverse has always been less smooth that the rest though so that could just be normal.

The rattle whilst wobbling the gear lever in neutral is the exhaust heatshield, had exactly the same on mine, removed heatshield problem solved.

Back