Jap ecu query

Can anybody tell me what the little hole in the jap spec ecu's is for? It has a small label above it and the hole is covered by a clear film but after spending 3 hours on some google translate site i still cant figure out what it says!!! On stripping the ecu it looks like a very small variable resistor. I am only curious to know what it actually is rather than having any mad urge to go messing with it...lol. ecu is from 92 k11, very early model. We have a few of them lying around and its bugging us now to find out!

Funny that because we have a box of ten ecu's accumalated to be used as control ecus for the particular class i race in. Most are bosch examples and i opened a couple to compare with the JECS ones, the bosch examples did not have this little gadget fitted. Its really a case of not wanting to hand out an ecu that may have a certain feature in it that may give an advantage (not saying that it even does anything to begin with)

Nah, mine has the LED :(
1386895264284.jpg

Bosch ECU, but most of the chips are JECS.... only actually 1 Bosch chip in there (and 2 Mitsubishi ones).

Could be to adjust the data sampling rate...

Well it goes to a capacitor, i'd say it's for controlling the clocking speed of one or more of the chips. That's as much as I can figure out...

That small piece on the PCB is called a Trim / pot, bit like a volume control you get but designed for PCB for fine tuning which ever value is needed to do what its there for..

I reckon if you adjust it the car may up the BHP more fuel???? :)

Joke!!! I wouldn't touch it unless you know what its really meant for!! OR to be adventurous get a multimeter and touch the terminals and see what value its set at and write it down , then for some adventure turn it up alittle and see what it does, if nothing or running erradic then turn back down to the original setting!!!

Pain or knowing is over!!

J

Again, that's the LED. If it was a switch with a discrete number of positions then I could imagine that it might possibly switch between fault reader settings, but seeing as the object in question is an infinitely variable component, this is almost 100% not the case. As I pointed out before, where you have a varying resistance to a capacitor, you are altering the length of time that capacitor takes to charge. That is how you control the time before the voltage is high enough to activate logic circuits inside the chips etc, dictating things like operational frequency of the chip or signal output durations etc.

I reckon something like early supply issues of the chips they wanted meant they had to make do with a different chip with a slower max operating frequency, so for the first few before supply issue was resolved they made it so they could manually drop the frequency, then after the supply issue was resolved they went to a fixed resistance.

Try it I guess, but if shorting with a paperclip doesn't kill the ecu I don't see why you'd use a pot instead of a 2 position switch, especially as you won't have a particularly high resitance between the pins even at the pots full setting...

Back