Interesting noise - suspect gearbox

AlexSi

Buy & Sell Member
Morning all,

My sister brought her 98 1.0 round to me yesterday complaining of a intermittent 'whoomping' noise when driving ... so suspecting a worn wheel bearing I took it for a drive but it seems to be coming from the gearbox.

The noise is very noticeable and does sound like a very loud wheel bearing (that whoomp whoomp whoomp noise that gets faster with acceleration) thing is when you take it out of gear the noise stops.

So you can accelerate up to 50 with the noise getting faster and faster and then coast at 50mph with no noise until you put it back in gear.

Just thought id post to see if there are any common problems im not aware of before swapping the gearbox (could it be a clutch problem)

Many thanks

right well went to fill it up today and couldnt get the damn speedo drive off ... the top part (with the cable) unscrews and then comes off then i remove the 10mm bolt that holds the part bolted into the gearbox then its supposed to just pull off but nooooooo ... stuck fast ... am i missing something?

turn the 10mm hole a little anti-clockwise by tapping with a small hammer till the lip is exposed. grab the exposed lip of the speedo then turn & pull

68919203.jpg

cheers for the reply pollyp ... well finally got it off lol ... did what u said above ... knocked the lip until exposed then grab twisted and pull the lip off grr ... the last person who had refitted it had stuck it in with go knows what was i had to chisel right round the hole main big circle part before it would come off ... and then to add insult to injury the gearbox was already full of fluid!

my gearbox on ticker over while not touching the clutch makes no noise, when i press down the clutch it rattles like mad,doesnt seem to be the release bearing because you can feel it if you hold your hand on the g/b,anyone heard of this?the sound goes after a drive,so im guessing it goes when the gear oil is hot and returns when cold

So it makes a racket when the g'box is not engaged with the engine, but when it is the noise stops? Something loose clutch wise?

So it makes a racket when the g'box is not engaged with the engine, but when it is the noise stops? Something loose clutch wise?

Well if in gear but not moving it still does it, il have to give it a good check and see if it rattles while in gear at idle with one wheel off the ground

got the noise sorted :D took out the gearbox because it wouldnt go into gear again :Z and found that my clutch was in bits,,the springs in the clutch had fallen out and were dancing around inside the box :p hence why i couldnt get it into gear,,poor car must have had a hard life before i bought it :(

right took the gearbox off ... replaced clutch, pressure plate and thrust bearing and its still the same which leads me to the sensible conclusion that the gearbox is rinsed grr ... it is a 98 r reg am i right in thinking there are slight differences in the pre and post facelift boxes? or am i safe to just put any k11 1.0 gearbox on it?

right took the gearbox off ... replaced clutch, pressure plate and thrust bearing and its still the same which leads me to the sensible conclusion that the gearbox is rinsed grr ... it is a 98 r reg am i right in thinking there are slight differences in the pre and post facelift boxes? or am i safe to just put any k11 1.0 gearbox on it?

yes alex the pre-face 1.0 g/box etc are different to all the others

although it is a 98 i think its the earlier type ... if i got the stamp off it is there anywhere on the forum that lists what it is (pre or post)

Back