Gearbox clunking noise.

When the car is in neutral and you put the gear stick from side to side it makes a clunking noise.

I have had a look and the noise is made where the gear linkage goes into the gearbox.

I drew a pic to help yous understand it. :blush:

gearbox.png

Anyone any idea what it is? also its hard to get into 3rd gear.

Cheers

Just to update.

I went out and spent 30 mins ripping off the heat shield getting rust in my eye and having a terrible time.

anyways the return spring is broken. So off to Nissan tomorrow for a replacement.

Hope this sorts it.

I have just fitted the spring and its stopped the clunking noise.

But when its in 1st or 2nd and you put it back into nutral its not returning to the middle.

anyone any idea what I could look at now?

I have took off the rubber double joint at the bottom of gear linkage and have greased it up.

Leaving it to sit for a while until I put it back on.

Can anyone help at all?

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
spring should have reasonable tension not too loose
if it is strech'd cut it back a little and remake the hook shape

Does anyone know if the universal joint should be solid?

or should I just do it up tight enough that there is movement in it?

I think if its not too tight then it will solve the problem. Its pouring down in glasgow so will be tomorrow before I get to do it all up.

Shaun has the right idea..... whenever you direct someone to your blog for whatever reason you should do it like:-

Chapter 1 Verse 28

Pollyp chaneth his selector arm

r-reg-sr

-------
Site Supporter
it is like a labyrinth of info leaving the reader praying the candle light last long enough to finish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

pollyp

Club Member
it is like a labyrinth of info leaving the reader praying the candle light last long enough to finish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

they're gonna need a bigga candle to read through it all. or just flash through the index page and get the summary of it all :p

Step1.

Remove heat shield above cat. This is done by removing 5 10mm nuts. There is 4 nuts into the chassis and one nut into another heat shield.

This is a picture of the heat shield taken off. Two of my bolts would not come undone. I used snips to snip the heat shield to get it off.

Step 2.

Inspect spring. If it is like mine then it will be snapped.

This is a picture of the new spring fitted.

The new spring was less than £9 from Nissan.

Step 3.

Remove universal joint. This is done by taking out the two bolts that go through it. One is 12mm and the other is 13mm. You will need two rachets preferably.

When you have undone the two bolts then use a screw driver to lever out the joint.

step 4.

Greasing the joint.

I greased up and lubricated the joint. I let it sit in the grease for a few hours.

This is a pic of the grease and penetrating fluid I used. Cheap pound shop stuff.

step 5.

Refitting the joint.

Put the joint in and do the nuts up finger tight. Get someone to put the car in first gear then take it out gently. The gear stick should spring back and settle in the middle. To check this push it straight forward and it should go into third gear with no problems.

Start to tighten the nuts and keep checking that you do not over tighten them.

I did this the first time as I did not have anyone to help me :blush:

The reason that it stops springing back is because the universal joint is solid. There should be a nice movement in this.

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE NUTS.

I would of liked to get more pics but I have a white BB bold so taking pics with greasy hands is a no go.

Hello, i am having the same problem 99%, does anyone know where i can find this new spring or how many mm it has to be from step 2 in post #18, delivered in Greece?
ps: very useful post, and site at all for mirca owners! many thanks!

Last edited: