rubbing noise

The front left wheel on my car is making a rubbing/ whirling noise, hard to explain sorry. I first had trouble with the driveshaft nut which had worked its way loose so torqued that back upto 131 lb ft as in haynes manuel, anybody have any idea what it could be its not a very loud noise but can be heard from inside the car, poss bearing?
thanks.

Right had the wheel off and had a good luck, sounds like the whirring noise is coming from the gearbox end. It does it when in gear and when free wheeling in neutral, does sound like a bearing noise any ideas?
thanks.

I'd say bearing too. They dont last very long if the hub nut has been slack.
Double check the brake isnt sticking before buying the bearing though! (Y)

I'd say bearing too. They dont last very long if the hub nut has been slack.
Double check the brake isnt sticking before buying the bearing though! (Y)

Which bearing? the gearbox bearing? Are they easy to replace, ive been looking at the inner cv too seems a bit of play in that could be that? although i cant find an inner cv joint to buy anywhere :doh:

Put the car on axles and run the wheels if its gearbox end

sorry to be daft but what will this achieve?

thanks.

Which bearing? the gearbox bearing? Are they easy to replace, ive been looking at the inner cv too seems a bit of play in that could be that? although i cant find an inner cv joint to buy anywhere :doh:

Wheel bearings. Straight forward enough to change. Access to a hydraulic press speeds things up though. Easy way to sort them is to fit 2nd hand ones, assuming the car in the scrapyard didn't have any wheel bearing issues.

There is supposed to be a bit of play in the inner CV joints. I am pretty sure they only come as a complete driveshaft. Never seen one fail or give any hassle and I've seen a lot of Micras!:laugh:

Best to confirm the fault before buying stuff.

Back