I think i'm in the poo....

Micra 110

Site Supporter
Between my girlfriend and I we own 3 nissan micras, i own 2 of them, a Red one and a Blue one.

This morning whilst returning from taking mother out to the shops i got stopped by 6 Male TCs an 1 WTC for an ANCR check.

This particular Car (a Red one which is Registered to me) was bought for my brother to drive around in but because he went to America and the other Micra i own is broken i drove his......here comes the crunch.

My Brother has Insurance - for himself to drive this Car
I do have Insurance but for the Blue Micra NOT for this one.
The Insurance Policy states that i can drive other cars with the owners permission
But because i OWN this Car i am NOT Insured for this Car.

If this Car was registered in his name i would be ok but because it's registered in my name i will be getting prosecuted for Driving without Insurance which will mean an instant ban and a large fine.

This will mean getting Temporary Insurance for this Car until my brother returns from America.

It will cost £105 to get it out of the compound but first i have to go to the police station to prove that i am insured for this Vehicle before i can get it back home.

The Ins' company told me that it takes 48hrs to come up onto the system and therefore advised me to get the Police to phone the Insurance company to Validate my claim to be Insured.

Nearly there.....

I have phoned my Ins company to put this car onto the other Car Policy but i can't because they don't do that.(farce) So i have to pay an £35 for a month (30 days) for a maximum of 3 months one month at a time (another farce)

To finalise: I have been Insured for 28 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened and i don't feel very well at all atm

yeh just read about this in my new insurance.

Im insured 3rd party to drive anyone elses car with their permission, but i cannot drive the car on that insurance if i own the car/or in my name!

the V5 is not proof of ownership (i.e. where its registered) . Say yes its in your name but its not your car its his. And get some form of written documentation to back this up (a letter with his signiture on it or something setting out the agreement whilst he is away) that may help.

the V5 is not proof of ownership (i.e. where its registered) . Say yes its in your name but its not your car its his. And get some form of written documentation to back this up (a letter with his signiture on it or something setting out the agreement whilst he is away) that may help.

that's a good idea ed, someone spoke to earlier said a similar thing but they said get a fax from him saying i've sold the vehicle to him and put yesterdays date on it therefore i would be insured as he gave me permission to drive it.

Personally i think the Insurance companys need to rethink the way the policy is set out. They need to allow someone to insure 2 cars on the same policy to stop this sort of thing happening but of course everyone knows that this wouldn't happen as they would lose shed loads of cash in a flash.

Yeah I was going to say just register the car to your brother. You should know his signature by now, send the docs off to the DVLA and keep the new keeper supplement. Backdate the signatures by a few days too.

Ed is right in this case

it is not the OWNER of the car, it is that you are not covered third party if the other car is not insured by someone else,

only when it is, then you are third party

nothing to do with who owns the car on the V5,

thus why it works when people buy expensive cars insure another car, so that they are 3rd party on the expensive porch etc

but they were looking into this, same with "named" drivers when the "named" driver was the actual one using the car

its ways around insurance that they were trying to abolish

did u get out of this in the end?

I haven't heard anything whatsoever....it certainly doesn't help in keeping my stress levels down.

I've had this before on another Traffic offence many years ago and that took 6 months. They Cop did read me my rights but i don't know whether that means anything.

Maybe they've let it go but i can't see it somehow although one of the Officers spoke to my missus and she had quite a long chat so maybe she added a positive.

It was a genuine mistake and i honestly didn't think about the Insurance side of things apart from the fact that i was Insured but not with Car i was driving and it's not as if i went out of way not to pay for Insurance in the first place.

A letter from the police giving me a caution would be better than worrying about what's in store.

No it's all the organisations involved that takes the time. From sending off a DQ1 (DL check) it can take a month to get back, once that comes back as a negative you'd send off a DQ3 (DL check evidential version) which can take upwards of three months. If its a no insurance then they may have to contact your insurance company to provide a statement that insurance was invalid.

To be honest in that kind of circumstance the most appropriate course of action would be a £200 ticket for no insurance and the car impounded.

Update

I went to Court today and they dished out a 6 month ban and £150 fine. I asked them if I could have a bigger fine and a smaller Ban but they said that they have to keep to the guidelines set. I'm undecided as to what I'm going to do with the grey Micra. There's no real point in it sitting on my drive for that amount of time so you may see it for sale some time soon :(

what a joke! i hear about people who drive stolen cars drunk without a DL and they get the same thing, its obvious you are trying to do the right thing, you can't be blamed for how crap the system is.

it seems like it is all carefully worked out so that there are little loop holes they can get you on,

looks like another way to make money really

Back