Huge Wheel Problem!

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Okay Guys I finally got round to try and fit my new alloys but i have a big problem the hub centre bore was a little smaller so was gonna shave off a mm cos thats all i needed then if i went over fit a spigot ring but then i realised the hub was already touching the back of the wheel without it going in! grr

Pictures:
DSCF0400.jpg

DSCF0397.jpg

DSCF0398.jpg

DSCF0399.jpg

DSCF0401.jpg

DSCF0402-1.jpg

DSCF0403-1.jpg

DSCF0404-1.jpg

DSCF0405-1.jpg

Can Anyone Help?

Either sell them or get them professionally milled to fit. If it's not done right the wheels will be either scrap or out of balance.

mike

i dont mind paying for them to be fitted cos they were cheap! but the hub is flush with the back of the wheel and the centre hub bit isnt going through the middle hole!
is there a way i can extend it or something?

Ok, see what you mean now.

Do you mean that the wheels fit over the centre bore however due to the graduated lip on the wheel they don't fit snug and hold on.

You have two options.
1. Sell them
2. Fit them and hope for the best. Dont think it would go massively wrong but then im not entirely sure.

i have spacer rings on my centre bores like a plastic ring that gfoes over the centre ring on the hub and inside the centre bore on the wheel can pick them up from car tuning places or places that sell alloys just get the sizes of the centre bore and the size of the hub ring bit

cheers

Steve

most wheels will only rest a couple of mm's on the hub lip...if the wheel fits as it should but isnt resting on the hub lip, then you may need a spigot ring?

its hard to tell tbh from the pics, as it looks ok to me in a couple of them... :S

well basically the wheel fits perfect on the hub but the centre hub bit doesnt go into the alloy at all! its not long enough :( so its basically held on by the bolts - not good!
Imp can you post a picture of what you are talking about please i will phone around places tomorrow otherwise im gonna clean these right up and ebay them and make some £ which i dont really wanna do cos i love em! :(

i understand what you mean mate if he puts the alloy on the center of the hub wont go inside the wheel as the center bore of the wheel is slightly smaller than the center bore of the hub the pcd is right but not the center bore so when the wheel goes on it wont be sitting flush with the hub at all hence the wheel will only be held on with a few cm of thread so what is his best option persionaly i say sell them and get other ones or if it will be cheeper for you then get them professionaly milled out so the center of the wheel will fit over the hub

i cant see a problem :confused: its the nuts that hold the wheel on, and the taper on the nuts that hold it true, but if the centre has been opened up "out of centric" and catching the hub, then they,ll need more fettling :)

Hi

This is what i am on about:

Picked these up from ABP motorsport, google it and you can ring them, if you have the sizes im sure they will post to you, great people there (Y).

201916.jpg

201902.jpg

201746.jpg

hey imp i get what your on about now but isnt this for wheels that have too big a hole where as im on the opposite :D
my centre hub isnt long enough to reach inside the centre hole everything else is fine :(

If the hub is touching the back surely once the nuts are on everything is centred and ok???...you could get them milled then use the spacers...i would run around on them as is and check every now and then...BTW i can see why you want to keep them.. nice wheels!!!

kev

i know this may not be right to some people but i used spacers to clear my centre bores and just be safe took the hub off knocked the studs out and got a grinder to the centre bore - i just put a little shamfter on there :p lol

Am All Confuffled :suspect:
centre hub isnt long enough otherwise ill be laughing you fixed this how? wouldnt spacers push the wheel further away from the hub?

yeah as far as i know the micra doesnt have a hub centric fitment its the studs that keep it there and the centre bore to help put it on, ive have no problems with mine all the way to 115mph (on a private track of course)

yeah as far as i know the micra doesnt have a hub centric fitment its the studs that keep it there and the centre bore to help put it on, ive have no problems with mine all the way to 115mph (on a private track of course)

Yeah that!!!....better explained than i did!!...(Y) (sorry did not mean spacers as in the disc type i ment the ones in the pic which again was a stupid thing to say as you would just get them milled to fit as they should..but they would not fit over the centre as the hub/wheel is as far back as it will go anyway..God im digging an even bigger hole for myself with all that gobboldy gook iv just written!!!!)

Am All Confuffled :suspect:
centre hub isnt long enough otherwise ill be laughing you fixed this how? wouldnt spacers push the wheel further away from the hub?

your centrebores look they,ve been opened up with a grinder, but are still too tight, my super s ally centrebores have about 1 - 2 mm of clearance so that the nuts centralize the wheel :)

your centrebores look they,ve been opened up with a grinder, but are still too tight, my super s ally centrebores have about 1 - 2 mm of clearance so that the nuts centralize the wheel :)

frank this is exactly what my friend said today that the nuts/bolts keep the wheel centralized and that the centre hub doesnt really need to go into the wheel if its flush against the hub, also he used the word Lug-centric is he right in saying that it would be ok for the studs to mainly bear all the weight?

Cheers Everybody Getting Closer To Solving This! (Y)

yeh, but if the centrebore is catching anywhere, it will hold the wheel offcentre (not good :p).
ideally you need the centreboss to hold the wheel in place while you fit the nuts, but with a little bit of clearance/play around it (so that the nut tapers can do the final centralizing) :)

Ok cheers, but the centre hub still wont touch the inside of the wheel.
this is ok right? dont wanna mess up a resale if all goes wrong! :laugh:

no, you,ve lost me now fwn, the hub boss should sit inside the wheel centreboss with a slight gap all around

hahaha see why does noone understand me? Picture i just drew (badly)
Untitled.jpg

See the little hub bit wont go into the wheel as the wheel sits as far back as it can already

see thats what someone suggested earlier but then someone said it wont work?!

I need a unanimous decision! (Y)

If the hub sits flush against the wheel hub then all is ok....if not fit 5mm spacers...did this on my Fiat and was a cheap fix..£20

kev

right had another crack at these wheels again today to no avail decided to go another way so anyone know where to get these either milled out or would spacers work...? damn alloys why cant they make them all universal? :p

Update: Given up been told by too many people that its pointless will be reselling them on ebay then gonna have to save some monies for new ones
cheers for your help guys

right had another crack at these wheels again today to no avail decided to go another way so anyone know where to get these either milled out or would spacers work...? damn alloys why cant they make them all universal? :p

they do make all afterarket alloys universal but you've got genuine vw alloys and they're made specifically for vw's so that's where your problem is!!

bought them for £68 and collected so gonna clean em up some more take lovely pictures and resell on ebay! PEOPLE DO NOT BUY THESE THEY WONT FIT! -trust me! :laugh:

all of the information on this thread is incorrect.

having sold wheels for 7 years now i will explain what the problem is.

the back of the wheel is sitting flush against the drum on the car but the wheel isnt resting on the hub of the axle on the car. the only way to eleviate this problem is to have the back of the wheels machined (effectively reducing the offset of the wheel and allowing the wheel to sit on the hub)

anyone who thinks that the wheel nuts are what is holding the weight of the car needs to see an alloy wheel after its been fitted with no spigot rings. there is a reason there is a centre bore there and it is to take the weight of the car. the wheel nuts job is simply to hold the wheel onto the hub and to take the braking force of the car. the weight is taken up by the Hub usualy through a spigot ring. if this isnt done the wheel nuts can actualy snap or even ovalise the holes in the wheels.

the best thing to do is to sell them and get some of the correct offset and bore size.

i cant believe the miss-information on here sometimes.. please dont believe everything you read on google.

all of the information on this thread is incorrect.

having sold wheels for 7 years now i will explain what the problem is.

the back of the wheel is sitting flush against the drum on the car but the wheel isnt resting on the hub of the axle on the car. the only way to eleviate this problem is to have the back of the wheels machined (effectively reducing the offset of the wheel and allowing the wheel to sit on the hub)

anyone who thinks that the wheel nuts are what is holding the weight of the car needs to see an alloy wheel after its been fitted with no spigot rings. there is a reason there is a centre bore there and it is to take the weight of the car. the wheel nuts job is simply to hold the wheel onto the hub and to take the braking force of the car. the weight is taken up by the Hub usualy through a spigot ring. if this isnt done the wheel nuts can actualy snap or even ovalise the holes in the wheels.

the best thing to do is to sell them and get some of the correct offset and bore size.

i cant believe the miss-information on here sometimes.. please dont believe everything you read on google.

load of boll###s antony fwn, so the plastic spigot rings support the weight of the car do they ??
and explain the millions of citroen centreless wheels ??

yes, thats correct. the plastic spoggot rings support the weight of the car. do you know how strong polypropelene is under extreme compression? not to mention most spoggot rings are infact made from GRP or even metal. the fact remains that the weight of the car is not supported by the wheel nuts. especialy on a car using bolts rather than nuts and studs. i have been personaly involved with 3 seperate cases where a wheel has become unuseable after being fitted without spiggot rings.
this is one reason non hubcentric spacers have been banned from motorsport events and why when fitting "wobble" bolts they reccomend fitting the wheels only on cars with the correct hub size.
if like you say what i said is rubbish they how can a wobble bolt support the weight of the vehicle?

also, whats wrong with plastic supporting the weight of the car? afterall isnt the car just sat on 4 rubber bags full of air?

answer for the question about citroen wheels is in the question. its a citroen. <<

not being funny or anything but ive got 10mm spacers on the front and the centrebores dont touch.. and i just crashed my car into a pond and the wheel is still on and as tight as ever. please explain?

answer for the question about citroen wheels is in the question. its a citroen. <<

citroens and all those millions of wagons out there (which have no boss on the hub at all, and the centerbore of the wheel locates on fresh air :p lol)

ah well. they are still there to hold the weight of the vehicle. thats my experience of it and im sticking to it.... lol

i don't really get it, but the wheels are lug-centric, is the hub of the wheel larger than the hub on the car it will still drive fine.

tapered lug nuts or bolts means its lug-centric, flat faced nuts/bolts (although i have never seen flat faced bolts) means the wheels are hub-centric.

i don't really get it, but the wheels are lug-centric, is the hub of the wheel larger than the hub on the car it will still drive fine.

tapered lug nuts or bolts means its lug-centric, flat faced nuts/bolts (although i have never seen flat faced bolts) means the wheels are hub-centric.

even though the micra maybe lug centric i didnt like the idea of the center hub not actually going inside the wheel :(
so my friend with an astra has taken the wheels off my hands (Y)

I used wheels with to big a centre bore for ages with no vibrations or damage. Micras aren't hubcentric. I know this cos now I have a hunbcentric car and the wheels are a ####### to get off.

I have seen flat faced nuts but only on a 4x4

All the strength is in the bolts, otherwise the wheels would snap off everytime you did a handbrake turn, no offence ant but sometimes even the experts don't know what they're talking about. You may have a problem with hubcentric cars which take weight on the hub

ah well. they are still there to hold the weight of the vehicle. thats my experience of it and im sticking to it.... lol
so how come you were using non hubsentric 30mm spacers (the ones I now have)?

Back