how do i get to the windscreen washer tank?

J

jackson99

cos when i use some washer fluid, it smells like im using bloody sewage :laugh: , so i need to get to it to clean it out.

but im very much a novice, and dont know how to get the tank out. nothing in the hayes manual about it, can any1 point me in the right direction? ta

ALSO - my micra's done 50k miles and i think the air filter needs changing, to say the least..
Is an a/c service worth the £100?
cheers

with great difficulty :eek:
its behind the front bumper (driver side)
i would just leave a hose running in it for a few minutes personally

And to remove the front bumper you need to remove both headlamps. Not sure if you can get too it if your car is on ramps and remove the bottom plastic cover?

remove front plastic grill - turn clip 45deg clockwise with flathead screwdriver to unclip. 2 at top and 2 under headlights between the bottom of the grill and top of the bumper. then remove them clips from the car and reclip them back onto the grill so you just push the grill back on afterwards.

disconnect both headlights

remove both headlights - bolted at top corner & bottom corner of wing and 2 nuts from behind

loosen front wheels

jack up front end

remove front wheels - easier access to the wheel arch screws

remove front plastic wheelarch lining - just the front portion

remove front bumper - unscrew the vertical bolts fixing the bumper to the chassis beam bracket / push rivets and bolts holding the lower bumper to the cross member / unscrew the bumper edge from the wings

pull off washer tank top filler pipe

disconnect washer motor connector and tubes

remove washer tank

YOU DONT NEED TO TAKE THE HEADLIGHTS OUT!

If you try to take the headlights out you risk breaking the captive mounting bolts out of the headlamps and the MOT guy won't be impressed if you have to cable tie your headlamps back in!

1. Take 2 10mm bolts out under the drivers side corner of the bumper.
2. Take Phillips screw out of wheel arch just above edge of bumper.
3. Turn steering to the left and pull arch trim up and fold it over using wheel to jam it in place.
4. Take 10mm bolt that holds the rear edge of the washer bottle onto the inner wing out.
5. This is the tricky bit! With a 10mm deep socket and 6 inch extention reach round behind the bumper to the front bolt. Its kinda below the headlight. Have a feel first.
6. Pull out the filler neck from behind the drivers headlight, under the bonnet. Use a grab and twist movement.
7. With a 10mm spanner remove the bolt from behind the headlight next to where the filler tube was.
8. From under the wheelarch pull the top of the washer pump out of the bottle, now slide the pump out of the bottle completely. If its an earlier K11 you will have to remove both pumps.
9. Take the bottle out! Have a cup of tea!

An aircon service is only worth it if the Aircon doesn't blow cold or smells of fish when used!

cos when i use some washer fluid, it smells like im using bloody sewage :laugh: , so i need to get to it to clean it out.

but im very much a novice, and dont know how to get the tank out. nothing in the hayes manual about it, can any1 point me in the right direction? ta

ALSO - my micra's done 50k miles and i think the air filter needs changing, to say the least..
Is an a/c service worth the £100?
cheers

Hi Jackson99,

I know your post was from a long time ago. But I think the screen washer motor has gone on the k11 I have just bought. Did you manage to get yours out easily and am I able to just take the motor out as opposed to the bottle as well? Thanks in advance

Back