Help please

B

beachbabe_6

Hi

I have an engine management light STILL on. I have an 01/Y reg Nissan Micra S.

The throttle body has been replaced.
The lambda sensor has been done.
The O2 sensor has been replaced (and again under warranty).

The garage now say that if the light comes on again (which it has!!) then I am stuffed as it is the ECU. What does this mean and is there anything I can do? Will the car break down? Will it pass an MOT with this fault apparent?

The best advice the garage could give was that they could take the bulb out behind the engine management light! Is this a good plan?

If there is no one here can advise can you suggest a technical helpline i can call for advice? Please.

I have spent too much on this getting it sorted to send it to the breakers but................

Regards
Sara

Oh just had full service done through independent so should be up to scratch.

i think it may tell you how to read fault codes in the haynes manual (no 100%on that though), other than that, you'd have to take it to nissan and they can tell you the fault and how to rectify the problem.

Definitly dont take the bulb out! Silly suggestion really, the problem will still exist. You dont want whatever it is getting worse.

my fiesta light came on, and when i took it to ford to have the ECU scanner or whatever they do to it they told me there was nothing wrong with the car, the engine, or any components, just a minor fault on the ECU which meant that it was more sensitive than others. my best mate had a 52 reg fiesta too (only a 1.2 though, marvel in my bigger engine baby) and she had the same problem.

my micra light came on a fair bit too. mainly because i let chie on it :p love you really

well the engine management light means an error it doesnt specify which error until you go further into it so could be anything from the throttle body lamba sensor or even engine coolant temp sensor so until you code read it getting the code is a good place to start and seeing what area is the problem is in i dont think it is the ecu that is ######ed though it could just be that you havent solved the problem so it would keep showing up also it should turn it self off if the problem is fixed so i dont think that resetting the ecu would help it would just pop up again

The throttle body has been replaced.
The lambda sensor has been done.
The O2 sensor has been replaced (and again under warranty).

If there is no one here can advise can you suggest a technical helpline i can call for advice? Please.

Oh just had full service done through independent so should be up to scratch.

what o2 sensor did they replace front or rear?

you have coil packs dont you as its y reg (2001), so you have to make sure that you have bosch fr8dcx spark plugs and not ngk ones

if you had a front sensor changed then check the plugs
if you had a rear sensor changed then check the cat has got holes in it

and the light shouldn't go out on it's own. it stays on so you know there was a fault and needs checking. i'm not sure if leaving the battery disconnected will "reset" the ecu! it really needs taking to nissan to reset the fault light.

Wrenchable:
Reset ecu, disconect terminals, touch positive and negative together then leave disconnected for 24hrs.

Reset it... see if it comes on after that... if it does then...

IMHO Nissan Garage ££££ get a private mechanic with a traders card and higher the computer for £50... then see what is wrong...

Back