MAF Circuit Malfunction: P0100 fault code on a post-2000 K11 Micra - Please Help!

Hello! This is my first post so I apologise in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere but I couldn’t find much about the MAF sensor issue (!) – I think they’re the ones made by Bosch. Since the P0100 fault code and MAF sensor circuit malfunctions seem to be a common problem for other little K11 Micras, at least according to some sites, I think my forum searching skills might be at fault here – so again, my apologies if this is the case!

I have a Nissan Micra Vibe 1.0 K11 on a 02 plate (so I think it’s the K11C facelift) and have recently had a non-blinking engine management light come on. My U480 scanner has read the fault code as P0100, i.e. Mass Air Flow Circuit Malfunction. No other fault codes were detected. The car seems to be running fine at the moment aside from the light coming on, although when idling, it seems to judder just a little with a slight tapping noise, but I haven’t noticed any problems with the revs or a drop in speed and the car doesn’t stall or exhibit any problems with exhaust etc.

But I did notice one oddity a couple of days ago while driving along a dual carriageway: my fuel gauge was dropping more rapidly than usual (dropping from about two thirds full to a quarter full over a distance of about 6 miles at a speed of 65-70mph); but then when I next started the car and took it on a short trip, the petrol gauge had mysteriously gone back up to where I would estimate it should have been following the longer first trip, i.e. just over halfway. Very odd. But I have no idea if this petrol gauge incident is related to the MAF circuit fault picked up by the scanner and wondered if anyone could let me know if it sounds likely?

I haven’t taken the car out since identifying the fault code and wanted to seek some advice from people here who really know Micra K11s before doing anything or seeking a garage. I have learned that, according to the Haynes manual, a malfunctioning MAF sensor on a 02 K11 Micra could mean a full throttle body/MAF replacement (instead of just replacing the MAF sensor itself) that could end up being more expensive than crushing and replacing the car I love (unless I get a refurb or used unit). This seems extreme since the car isn’t exhibiting symptoms that the MAF sensor has completely failed (yet!). So I hope a replacement isn’t on the cards. I have found websites that explain how to clean the MAF sensor but not specifically for the post-2000 Micra K11 - so I don't know if this is an option.

The Haynes manual is very vague about post-2000 K11 MAF sensors and throttle bodies and only mentions how to check them and nothing about how to clean the MAF sensor or replace the throttle body/housing/MAF unit as a whole. It only mentions and illustrates how to remove a pre-2000 K11 MAF sensor and a throttle body seperately, which they say can't be done on the post-2000 K11. The pictures have left me none the wiser either as to where the throttle body and MAF sensor is located – can anyone tell me where to find it? Also, can the MAF sensor be cleaned on a 02 Micra 1.0 because the manual says nothing about this either?!! :doh:

Thanks for any advice in advance – sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to be as thorough as I could!

:grinning:

I believe the maf sensor on your car is replacable. Replacements are available from eBay. It just unscrews from the side of the throttle body. In the earlier throttle bodies the maf is integral but it usually just needs the joints soldering again. There is lots of info on here for both types if you search for it...

I dont think you can clean the sensor, its a matter of a fault then change it, if you try cleaning it you may cause more damage... not sure if someone could correct me on this...

J

I believe the maf sensor on your car is replacable. Replacements are available from eBay. It just unscrews from the side of the throttle body. In the earlier throttle bodies the maf is integral but it usually just needs the joints soldering again. There is lots of info on here for both types if you search for it...

Hi noddie, I hope this is the case - what bothers me is that the Haynes manual insists that from the year 2000-2002 the throttle body and MAF sensor on a K11 are integral so according to them I couldn't replace only the MAF sensor and solder the joints - well...to be honest I couldn't replace either part anyway cos I wouldn't know how and would need someone who knows what they're doing - I don't even know where the throttle body and MAF sensor are located and the Haynes manual is definitely no help!!. I have looked around ebay and found some new MAF sensors and used throttle bodies in case I need them. I'm just not sure yet what will need to be done because the car isn't playing up really so I can't be sure what is awry or clogged etc. Thanks for the tips!

I dont think you can clean the sensor, its a matter of a fault then change it, if you try cleaning it you may cause more damage... not sure if someone could correct me on this...

J

Hi J, thanks for replying - yes I think you are right about cleaning - I got the impression from the Haynes manual that the sensor in an 2000-2002 K11 Micra shouldn't be cleaned simply because this option isn't mentioned at all, but is mentioned for pre-2000 models, but I can't be sure if there's a way round it. The manual says the MAF sensor can only be checked and if its readouts are wrong then the entire throttle body and MAF unit has to be changed. The P0100 says a circuit fault, but I've come across so much confusing info about the MAF sensor on different models, and about what to do when that particular code appears, that it seems it could be dirt, a loose wire, or the throttle body being clogged with hydrocarbons. It's hard to say because the car seems to be running fine too! I can only assume it is the MAF sensor at fault since P0100 was the only code to appear, but I don't have any experience to inspect and check it - as I said above, I don't even know where the throttle body and MAF sensor are located in the engine! Do you know if the MAF sensor can be replaced alone for a 2002 K11 or would it have to be the entire throttle body/MAF sensor unit as the Haynes manual implies the latter?

I just replaced the sensor on my 2001 1.4 with a generic one which seems to work a treat (bought the car with it unplugged, ran a bit rough as a result and refused to run with the sensor plugged in), here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-NISSAN-MI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf5d04118

I lost my 5 point security star key set so i just sawed the heads off those hateful bolts, the new one holds itself in. :laugh:

Hi Robb, that's encouraging to know that you replaced the MAF sensor without needing to change the throttle body too, I hope this works for you! We both have the same issues I think with MAF sensor on the post-2000 K11. Haynes are very vague about any kind of repair and insist the whole throttle body has to be changed too - that seems very extreme when the price of a sensor is a fraction of the price of a throttle body!! Thanks for the sensor link, how long has the new sensor been installed in your car? I'm sorry I don't know about sawing the hateful bolts or the 5 point security set, cos I wouldn't be able to do the repair myself and I don't even know where to find the evil throttle body/MAF sensor in the engine lol. Could you help me there and describe where it is please lol?? Even though I wouldn't know how to change the sensor anyway, I still feel a bit of an idiot that I don't know where it is!!

A quick bump of the thread :grinning:

I've been looking around the forum but can't find any specific threads on the P0100 fault :blush:. I'll keep looking but if anyone knows where there's more info I'd be grateful. I still haven't found out where in the engine the MAF sensor is located :blush: :blush: !

I'm very unsure how to proceed - does anyone agree I might be best off just asking a garage to replace the throttle body/MAF sensor unit (with a secondhand one!). I'm really confused about it all - post-2000 K11s like mine, according to the Haynes manual, don't allow for only the MAF sensor to be changed without the throttle body, but others (including Robb above) would disagree and believe the MAF sensor can be changed on its own: does anyone know the score with this situation for a 2002 K11 as to what is possible - do I have to get the whole throttle body/MAF sensor unit changed or would I get away with just the MAF sensor on its own being replaced?

Frank on here is your man... pretty sure you can swap just the maf on your car. Have a look at your throttle body, are there screws holding the maf in? (sounds like they should be star head ones.

Frank on here is your man... pretty sure you can swap just the maf on your car. Have a look at your throttle body, are there screws holding the maf in? (sounds like they should be star head ones.

Thanks for letting me know Noddie. I don’t know exactly where the throttle body is to check the screws holding the MAF in, but am guessing it is under the air filter somewhere? In Robb’s post above he refers to his 2001 K11’s MAF sensor and losing his star key set, so am reasoning that the MAF sensor in my 2002 K11 will be the same as Robb’s and will have the same star head screws. Do you think that would be likely?

Thanks for letting me know Noddie. I don’t know exactly where the throttle body is to check the screws holding the MAF in, but am guessing it is under the air filter somewhere? In Robb’s post above he refers to his 2001 K11’s MAF sensor and losing his star key set, so am reasoning that the MAF sensor in my 2002 K11 will be the same as Robb’s and will have the same star head screws. Do you think that would be likely?
I would have thought you would be right on all counts there mate :D

there,s a bit if info here eh http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/DetailedProduct.aspx?DetailedProduct=135

Attachments

• throttle_body_micra_bosch.jpg
    throttle_body_micra_bosch.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 8,388

Frank and Robb - it looks like changing the MAF sensor should be a very quick job. Can you tell me if I have to remove anything first to get at the MAF sensor on the throttle body? The manual doesn't mention this specifically. It only mentions removing/moving the air cleaner and inlet duct to get at the throttle body unit itself - would I have to do this to get to the MAF sensor or is that unneccessary?

I just replaced the sensor on my 2001 1.4 with a generic one which seems to work a treat (bought the car with it unplugged, ran a bit rough as a result and refused to run with the sensor plugged in), here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-NISSAN-MI...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cf5d04118

I lost my 5 point security star key set so i just sawed the heads off those hateful bolts, the new one holds itself in. :laugh:

Do you know what size security key it needs Robb? Was going to buy a set but not sure which one lol

Phew! Well have changed the MAF sensor and the lamp of death has disappeared - hopefully it'll stay that way! Been on a few runs today and up to thirty miles with no mishaps. Still had a slowish idle and a bit of vibration earlier which is improving after bunging a healthy serving of redex into the tank and taking it for a modest Italian tune-up :laugh: ... Just had full service too plus brakes done and drive belt changed - runs lovely, no loss of power either. Thanks to everyone who helped out on here, especially Noddie and Robb, and of course Frank - you are simply brilliant thanks so much for your help!

:grinning: (Y) :grinning:

Back